Lou - National Player of the Year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lou - National Player of the Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Pheesa is great. She does all the dirty work: banging with the other team's post, following up missed shots by rebounding & putbacks. For the knowledgeable observer, Pheesa too should be considered for NPOY.

Unfortunately, most fans, sportswriters and NPOY voters are not as knowledgeable about UConn WBB as most BY'ers. They see the highlights of Lou burying multiple 3's & don't look much beyond points scored in the box score.

It's great that UConn has 2 deserving candidates.
upload_2016-12-22_13-0-51.png

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Last evening (as I've written elsewhere) Lou was all-world.
Amazing shooting
Wonderful D. plethora of steals
Completely involved in all aspects of the game.
Showing a toughness, I didn't think she had....perhaps taught at UConn? :)

Another game or 2 like that and it will be impossible to overlook her for top honors.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Chong being on the floor gives you another scoring option, teams can not sag off her as she is a capable 3 point shooter and can get to the basket, she also knows how Uconn operates so the team seems to run more smoothly when she is on the floor.

Clearly so last night

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
From one " View attachment 17894 to another: I was reacting to the "2 candidates" comment and thinking perhaps there are four. I tend to use pictures, which at times like this are apparently not worth 1000 words.
Sorry OB. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes.....not enough fiber in my diet.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I agree with you on your opinion. What is it that KLS does better than Collier other than shoot more accurately from outside. Collier rebounds better, plays better defense, blocks more shots and moves without the ball just as much as KLS. Her ppg average is just below KLS's. What is it about KLS that makes some think she is better than Collier? As far as the best player in the country, has anyone seen all the good players in the country. I'vs seen players just as good as either KLS or Collier. All of the outstanding players are not on the teams in the top ten rankings. But then, I know these are just people's opinions so I should not complain.

Good points. I would add that KLS has more capability to create her own shoot and she is definitely a better passer, not that NC is a bad passer. KLS can take folks off the dribble, curl off a screen and obviously pop from 5 feet outside the 3 point line. Her release is also very fast. I also see her being more of a leader in terms of directing folks and having the ball flowing through her more. Again different players, but can not dismiss KLS overall game by saying she can only shoot better from outside. My favorite part of NC is that fadeaway jumper from close to mid-range, that seems to be almost unstoppable, even against bigger opponents. Lucky to have both.

Reaction Score
I agree with the sentiment and support provided. However, I believe that if anyone from UConn is given serious consideration, it will be Gabby, simply because her athletic feats are so much more...ostentatious...than Lou's work.

I also agree that this is largely a race between Wilson and Plum, but others (Kelsey Mitchell in particular) could knock Wilson out of that spot. Barring a Danny Manning/Carmelo Anthony/Kemba Walker-esque performance between now and the Final Four, I think that Lou is a longshot due to her being a sophomore. Maya is the only sophomore Wade winner ever; the Naismith has been won by a sophomore woman four times (Maya, Stewie, Clarissa Davis and Cheryl Miller).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A coach once said to me 'The best player has the most "mights" next to their name." His theory was: in the last five minutes of a close game the best player "might" help us win in a number of ways. You might score. You might grab a rebound. You might block a shot. You might lockdown someone on defense. You might steal the ball. Etc.

Napheesa has the most "mights".

Rebounding is a large part of the game. I like a lot of things about Collier (she's one of my two favorites on the team). One is that she (and Gabby) will get right in the middle of a group of players and fight for a rebound relentlessly the entire game. That is part of her game. How many time have we seen her come out of a group with the rebound? She does that without thinking about it. It's reactive.

She has a knack or a nose for the ball that can't be taught. The "Worm" Dennis Rodman had it. He could tell were the ball was coming off the rim before the ball hit it. He couldn't shoot, but he'd get you 15 -20 rebounds a game. Remember the immortal words of then L.A. Lakers head coach Pat Riley during their showtime era: "No rebounds, no rings". :cool:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Sorry OB. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes.....not enough fiber in my diet.:rolleyes:

Hmmmm. Doesn't lack of fiber generally slow down the opposite of "uptake''. :p

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Rebounding is a large part of the game. I like a lot of things about Collier (she's one of my two favorites on the team). One is that she (and Gabby) will get right in the middle of a group of players and fight for a rebound relentlessly the entire game. That is part of her game. How many time have we seen her come out of a group with the rebound? She does that without thinking about it. It's reactive.

She has a knack or a nose for the ball that can't be taught. The "Worm" Dennis Rodman had it. He could tell were the ball was coming off the rim before the ball hit it. He couldn't shoot, but he'd get you 15 -20 rebounds a game. Remember the immortal words of then L.A. Lakers head coach Pat Riley during their showtime era: "No rebounds, no rings". :cool:
Rodman was a great rebounder and one of the NBA's best defenders when he played for the Pistons & Bulls, but the best players on those two teams were Isiah Thomas & MJ because they could light up the scoreboard in big games.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Rodman was a great rebounder and one of the NBA's best defenders when he played for the Pistons & Bulls, but the best players on those two teams were Isiah Thomas & MJ because they could light up the scoreboard in big games.

No argument here. :)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
When describing Gabby's formidable rebounding skills, one of our Boneyard expert analysts credited her with getting "every rebound in site." :eek:

His comment was grammatically errant. But, give it a moment of reflection and you realize that he just might be spot-on.:)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Couple of points some of which have been made already:
1. Lou is much more likely to be defending jump shooters at the arc and on offense spends much more of her time 20' from the basket so her chances of being close to the basket for rebounds is not as great as Gabby or Napheesa.

2. She is also typically being designated as the rim protector for defensive set-up during Uconn free throws - which also spreads over to providing court balance on Uconn shot attempts from the field, leaking back on defense rather than crashing he boards for an offensive rebound - if Uconn gets the board she is then moving forward to the arc as a spot up three shooter.

3. On defensive rebounding she is often the one leaking out for a fast break opportunity as well.

While everyone pitches in on rebounds, position on the floor and designated roles in keeping court balance has an effect on who gets some of the rebounds.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When describing Gabby's formidable rebounding skills, one of our Boneyard expert analysts credited her with getting "every rebound in site." :eek:

His comment was grammatically errant. But, give it a moment of reflection and you realize that he just might be spot-on.:)
It takes a wise man to make sense of a fool:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I agree that Lou's lack of rebounding sets her back in terms of overall assessment. She's the tallest starter and yet can't be relied upon for grabbing boards. It's not toughness: she's certainly that. She just doesn't have that knack for getting into position and following the ball (like Pheesa and Gabby do). She has terrific instincts for anticipating and getting the charge and for stealing the ball at waist level. But unless she commits like Rick Barry (whose father-in-law Bruce Hale actually forced him to be a great rebounder through countless painful repetitions), she just won't become one. Are you reading this thread, CD?
Rick Barry! The mention of his name brought back memories of listening to the NY Nets (this was in the ABA days) on my transistor radio in the late '60s. I remember his trademark underhanded free throw technique, and his teammates Bill Melchionni and, of course, the amazing Dr. J. Remember those red, white and blue balls?
Thanks for triggering those memories, Bags.

Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I love KLS's game (I also love the way Collier and Gabby are playing game-in and game-out.) I said in a thread earlier this year that I thought KLS would be the most likely AA from UConn this year (when others were touting Kia) and I think she is on a course to do that. She has a superior (and expanding) offensive game.

However, I am not sure about NPOY just yet. There are still parts of her game that need a bit work to call her the best player in the nation. Her defense is not above average and she is not the presence on the boards that I hope she will be in time. You hope a NPOY has all three elements to their game (perhaps with assists substituting for rebounds if we are talking about a guard). KLS is fortunate to play on a team where she will never be asked to guard the other team's best guard or their best forward. Think, in contrast, how MoJet and Stewie were often asked to guard the best player on the other team.

Having said all that I do think she is one of the top five players in the country. I'm just not ready to place her as the best yet.
I think Napheesa has that all-around game. If she plays like she has all year. Collier is in the running.

Reaction Score
It also helps that Gabby can jump so high. By now we've all seen the video of her in the high jump clearing 6 feet 2 inches. It's like she has springs in her shoes or something. You see a ball ricochet off the basket or backboard seemingly headed for the other team's tallest player, and out of nowhere you see this arm reach up and just snatch the ball out of the air, and it's the arm attached to 5' 11" Gabby.
Imagine Gabby at 6 ft. 4 in,wow!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I love KLS's game (I also love the way Collier and Gabby are playing game-in and game-out.) I said in a thread earlier this year that I thought KLS would be the most likely AA from UConn this year (when others were touting Kia) and I think she is on a course to do that. She has a superior (and expanding) offensive game.

However, I am not sure about NPOY just yet. There are still parts of her game that need a bit work to call her the best player in the nation. Her defense is not above average and she is not the presence on the boards that I hope she will be in time. You hope a NPOY has all three elements to their game (perhaps with assists substituting for rebounds if we are talking about a guard). KLS is fortunate to play on a team where she will never be asked to guard the other team's best guard or their best forward. Think, in contrast, how MoJet and Stewie were often asked to guard the best player on the other team.

Having said all that I do think she is one of the top five players in the country. I'm just not ready to place her as the best yet.
so then....who is more deserving of it at this point?

Reaction Score
so then....who is more deserving of it at this point?

I don't know. Given that I haven't seen South Carolina play this year, and I have seen ND only once, and I haven't seen Plum and I haven't seen .... Given what I haven't seen I'm not ready to make a NPOY pronouncement yet.

I could see KLS and Collier in the running if they continue to improve on aspects of their game. I think they are both strong AA candidates right now.

The thing that KLS has is a transcendent skill -- she can score with the very best UConn has seen (as a sophomore) and has the scorer's confidence. She is a loud scorer. Big bold shots. Throwing daggers from deep and hitting arteries.

Collier is very quiet. Even her blocks are quiet. I thought her last game was one of her worst and I look at the stats and she has 14 points and 15 rebounds. She doesn't scare you with any of her skills ... she will just beat you.

Samuelson is the yin to Collier's yang. Often when Samuelson makes a big shot of takes a charge she will let out a scream. When Collier scores or blocks a shot she barely smiles. Samuelson gives the the refs side eye, Collier gives them wide eyes. Samuelson is a cannon blow. Collier is death by a thousand cuts. They will both kill you. They are different sides of the same coin. Both great. Both AAs ... so far.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Samuelson is the yin to Collier's yang. Often when Samuelson makes a big shot of takes a charge she will let out a scream. When Collier scores or blocks a shot she barely smiles. Samuelson gives the the refs side eye, Collier gives them wide eyes. Samuelson is a cannon blow. Collier is death by a thousand cuts. They will both kill you. They are different sides of the same coin. Both great. Both AAs ... so far.

So Pheesa represents slow death by Chinese water torture while Lou ends it quickly by drowning.:eek:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I gotcha. She also incites considerable mayhem around the basket at both ends by getting a hand on the ball.

Reaction Score
Whoile I can see why you might think of Katie Lou as a great NPOY candidate -- and who am I to disagree? -- I don't think that to date she is the MVP on this UConn team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom