Lou - National Player of the Year? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lou - National Player of the Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Gabby is a very good passer, but she has a tendency to attempt to thread the needle by making very difficult passes in traffic. As a result, she also leads the team in turnovers with 33.

For the primary 7 player rotation the assist/turnover ratio breaks down as follows:

Saniya = 5.0
Kia = 2.3
Gabby = 1.6
Danger = 1.5
Lou = 1.4
Pheesa = 1.2
Nat = 0.8

Reaction Score
Actually Parker won her Soph year. (She had r/s her FR year, but technically for BB purposes, it was her Soph year 06-07) She won Wade, Wooden and AP that year. Harding took the Naismith.
...a distinction that the Wade trust doesn't recognize, but I do.

Reaction Score
No change to my opinions. I try to think from the voter's standpoint, and upper classmen/high scorers/big names/big schools tend to get the most votes. Both Mitchell and Wilson are upperclassmen at big programs, Mitchell making a run at the all-time NCAA scoring record and Wilson is as big a name as there is in Women's Basketball today.

For Example: Kelly Faris may have been the single best all around player UConn ever had, but she was never seriously considered for either award (outside of the BY and the like). She was arguably the best shutdown defender UConn has ever had, a tireless worker both in practice and on the court, a Leader in the locker room, and (paraphrasing the color commentator for the NC game) referred to as "The embodiment of all that is Good in Women's Basketball". All of that, and not even on the final list of Wade candidates; while she did make the final 30 for the Naismith, there was no buzz over her.

Nope, I stand on Mitchell, Wilson, and Plum. At this time my money is on Plum, despite being at a lesser (or newcomer) program.
Kelly Faris is unequivocally not the best all around player UConn has ever had and to suggest that is totally out there. She probably has made as much out of her talent level as anyone that UConn has had but her talent level wasn't anywhere near as good as a whole bunch of players that Geno has had. Maybe that's the reason you aren't hearing very many stories about her success in the WNBA. It isn't like she's decided to play with less aggressiveness and desire since leaving Storrs. Her abilities aren't close to being special in the WNBA and though she is loved for her contributions here, to suggest that she's that special doesn't work. Your statement suggests that she is the best shutdown defender UConn has had and I don't think she was or is as good as Moriah Jefferson or Breanna from last years team. You're obviously entitled to your opinion but my opinion is you're dead wrong.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but at what point did I indicate that UCONN should not be considered as the favorite for the National Championship? I'm not sure what you are smoking that you interpreted ANYTHING I said as an indication that UCONN is not the favorite. I was discussing POY candidates and merely stated that since Wilson had more hype before the season started that she is going to get some votes simply based on reputation. If I were a WNBA GM and I could pick any player in WCBB, my pick would be Wilson. Sorry if that bothers you.
The curious thing about boards is to promote dialogue and thought similar to a conversation in which you would never be as aggressive as you were above. I will ignore the imprudence and clarify why I disagree with you in a normal manner. You said these "other" players deserve the award due in large part on what they had done last year, which in my mind not entirely true. In watching 3 USC games this year, I watched Wilson shrink when the time came to step and especially against Duke. POY candidate is not a forum on who would make the best Professional. I hope your watched the UConn-MD game tonight and watched KLS shake off the Cold/flu, and lead the team while NC struggled. So my point is with UConn beating all the contenders and with the soft conference schedule ahead, her stats should only get better. Hopefully A'ja steps up her game to contend with the SEC schedule and the Feb matchup with UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I will ignore the imprudence and clarify why I disagree with you in a normal manner. You said these "other" players deserve the award due in large part on what they had done last year, which in my mind not entirely true. In watching 3 USC games this year, I watched Wilson shrink when the time came to step and especially against Duke. POY candidate is not a forum on who would make the best Professional. I hope your watched the UConn-MD game tonight and watched KLS shake off the Cold/flu, and lead the team while NC struggled. So my point is with UConn beating all the contenders and with the soft conference schedule ahead, her stats should only get better. Hopefully A'ja steps up her game to contend with the SEC schedule and the Feb matchup with UConn.
I think it was my English professor who first pointed out that you can't ignore imprudence by pointing out that you are "ignoring the imprudence". The preseason publicity is a very real part of selecting the POY- I think that was @easttexastrash main point-perceived imprudence aside. Oops I did the same thing you did, didn't I?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Is it time to say hell yes about KLS again? Lou for NPOY? HELL YES! so far, anyway...

She's certainly making her case for WBCA and eventual Huskies of Honor Wall recognition. That's gppd enough for me, though NPOY as a sophomore would be amazing.

Remember, there are a bunch of NPOY awards: The Wade, Wooden, AP, USBWA, and Naismith...and sometimes the Honda as well. KLS could make a run at any one of 'em.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think both Lou and Naphessa are going to get due consideration for NPOY. Its going to be unavoidable playing for UConn and on such a historic win streak.

Keep in mind that Stewie won it multiple times by being on a NC team ; Averaging less than 20pts/ game. Point being that the award doesn't always go to the player with high scoring averages or the gaudy numbers. But the player who proves invaluable to her teams overall success. And normally that overall success is measured in wins , and wins on a national stage if Stewie's winning of the award is used as a gauge.

Thus , Naphessa and Lou has contributed greatly in the teams overall success. The Huskies could not have survived this far without either one of them. Either one could win it and there should not be any argument from anyone.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
-Plum (I expect her numbers to drop in Pac12 play. Washington's OOC schedule is dreadful, they've won by an average of 33 points per game. That wont have in the PAC)

You could be right, but she had 44 today.

Reaction Score
Lou, Gabby and Napheesa should all be player of the year. Without one they would not be where they are, and they take turns being the best. Gabby will get overlooked by some because her scoring average will be the lowest of the three; however, what other 5'11" centers do you see guarding people 4, 5 or even 6 inches taller and then are able to guard a guard. None that I can see. The "Three Musketeers". All for one and one for all, or something like that.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
I thought next season this talk would occur and we would discuss how she has surpassed a certain AA and coach (MM) projected best player. She has already shown to be a better player than that "only AA" in the game on 12/7.

Reaction Score
Ray,
I actually attended games at the Island Garden arena before they went to the Nassau Coliseum. Sonny Dove. Billy Paultz. John Roche. That does bring back memories. Mel Daniels. Dan Issel. Charlie Scott.
Was the Island Arena in Commack?

Reaction Score
Was the Island Arena in Commack?

West Hempstead. Interesting story. After the Nets moved to the Coliseum part of the original arena was torn down for a shopping center. The brick part of the arena remained and included the locker rooms. They decided to renovate the building and it is used for basketball now. There was also a Long Island Arena in Commack which has been demolished. I saw Robin Trower and Ritchie Blackmore(Rainbow) in concert there.

Reaction Score
West Hempstead. Interesting story. After the Nets moved to the Coliseum part of the original arena was torn down for a shopping center. The brick part of the arena remained and included the locker rooms. They decided to renovate the building and it is used for basketball now. There was also a Long Island Arena in Commack which has been demolished. I saw Robin Trower and Ritchie Blackmore(Rainbow) in concert there.
Never got a chance to see Robin Trower, but caught Blackmore with Deep Purple 2x in the spring of '74--once at the San Diego Sports Arena, and again at the California Jam at the Ontario Motor Speedway (along with E L&P, The Eagles, Earth, Wind and Fire, Seals and Croft, Rare Earth, Black Sabbath and Black Oak Arkansas). Now that was a great time--over 400k in the crowd---it was wild. My Navy buddy had to talk me into spending the $10 for the ticket.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The Long Island Arena in Commack was where the LI Ducks played back in the 60's through early 70's. That was when Slapshot, the Movie, came out. Wiki says the the movie was based on the Ducks coach John Brophy.

The Ducks are most famously known for player-head coach John Brophy, who is believed to be the role model for Paul Newman's character of Reggie Dunlop in the movie Slap Shot. Brophy encouraged and epitomized "old-time hockey" and brash physical play, retired as the league's career leader in penalty minutes, and was once suspended for half of a season for knocking down a referee.

Long Island Ducks (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

Reaction Score
I'm so glad the Nassau Coliseum is being renovated versus demolished. They have some nice concerts lined up, and I think the Islanders will play some games there next season. Cute story. I was talking to our lawn service owner and mentioned I went to the Coliseum a lot in my youth, and when I mentioned I had seen Gerry Cooney fight there he burst out laughing. He's married to Gerry's sister, so it truly is a small world.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Lou, Gabby and Napheesa should all be player of the year. Without one they would not be where they are, and they take turns being the best. Gabby will get overlooked by some because her scoring average will be the lowest of the three; however, what other 5'11" centers do you see guarding people 4, 5 or even 6 inches taller and then are able to guard a guard. None that I can see. The "Three Musketeers". All for one and one for all, or something like that.
With a proper attribution to UcMiami (so I don't get sued for copyright infringement), I think that the NPOY award should go without question to Nurse Colliamson. She is registered in the Nutmeg State to treat acute cardiac conditions that are observed in a specific subpopulation of Boneyard posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom