Lou?Lou? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lou?Lou?

Reaction Score
How is spelling her for half of 3-4 games "rework(ing) the entire offense?"

Jeff Walz sat Asia Durr the game before the UConn game, and that seemed to work out pretty well. Sometimes rest works. Whether that's the case with Lou, we really don't know, but it doesn't seem implausible to me..
1. The assumption I am making is if she were indeed hurt her minutes would be limited.

2. If it’s tired legs or whatever,, at this point in the season she has to work more, not less. They are plying for March.

3. Shooters have to keep shooting until they work it out. Can’t shoot if you’re not in. I give her credit for still scoring while the shots aren’t dropping though. She’s gutting it out and that’s encourging.

With no injuries, play her 40 and hope she works it out.

Besides, her at where she is right now is better than anything off the bench.

Reaction Score
I hate to blame the players

What has changed from last year that might explain the team's
slump and some regression in our star's performances?...

The only thing I can think of is the rather more extreme than noted coaching disruptions.

Marissa left, Shea was otherwise occupied for some time
Jasmine was new and wasn't a direct replacement for Marissa, even Sarah Darras is in a new role.

During the summer (when I first brought up this concern), it was suggested that Geno and CD could take care of everything... Well, maybe not.

I've been on this bandwagon for some time with little to no response.
But it's really hard to understand the manner in which the team is playing.

I just don't think it's on the players.
I think it’s ALL on the players.

Now we’re gonn insult the coaching staff—- what ? Now they’re only good when they have the talent ???

Reaction Score
I love Lou. She plays with an enormous amount of heart. She always goes at 100%. They are all (with the exception of Collier) in a funk. They should be ready for March.
Monroe or Washington ?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Now we’re gonn insult the coaching staff—- what ? Now they’re only good when they have the talent ???

I went out of my way to not insult anyone
I merely suggested that changes might beget changes.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Lou is in a slump...a really funky slump but that is all it is. She will snap out of it and all of a sudden she will go 6 - 8 from three and folks will forget all about this slump. The problem Lou is facing is mental now...notice that she didn't even want to shoot the three in the second half. Dangerfield has developed a sweet stroke. Pheesa is the best player on the team...and is a double / double machine. Megan Walker is coming into her own...albeit a little too slow for me. I keep thinking c'mon Megan you were the number one player coming out of high school and you are a sophomore now....it is time to stop deferring to others and start asserting yourself more. Crystal is really in a slump more so than Samuelson...as Samuelson still finds a way to be productive. Crystal has resigned herself to a roll far less than the one she stepped into during the Notre Dame game. Our bench is still a nothing burger...glimpses of what is to come from Odoto, somewhat safe minutes from Kyre and a total mystery what to expect from Michayla from one day to the next. Molly Bent has come up MIA the last couple of games. Botouly I have to assume is one of those players that whatever you get depends on how her knees are doing from game to game. We have been on the road...and the Notre Dame game aside, we haven't exactly reacted too well to playing on the road. I think this team is fragile...it is a mental thing...that is behind this recent "funk"...it is going to require some magic from the staff to get these kids out of it. Time is running down...tick, tock.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
3x? I'm not one to join the criticism club, but I'd be willing to bet that if the season were to end today, KLS would not be on 1st team, and probably not even on 2nd team. I'm not certain she'd even make 3rd team.

Fair enough. I'd probably put her on 2nd team right now. Still a lot of season to be played and she could work her way up to 1st team with a strong finish.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou is having a challenging Senior Year like Ann Strother did, having to be a post player, having to play out of position for the team, having to be the vocal leader and keep everyone else up when things get tough, physically being beatup in the post play, lots of no calls, trying to keep contributing in ways she used too, trying to do more defensively, rebounding, she does not have the team makeup to put her in a position of success this season, teams key on her to shut her down, even Dee had this happen Senior year for sometime as well, the pressure she is putting on herself is incredible, this happens...Yet she doesn’t ever give up...She is a Husky...Couldn’t be prouder...

Does she have anyone else in her corner on this forum?
ME. Most here are nuts.

Reaction Score

Don't you know when a team wins it is because of the players but when they lose it is the coaches fault. It is this way in every sport.

Reaction Score
This is not the first time KLS has struggled with her outside shot, and CW is struggling, too. MW was 3-11 today. If KLS ever needed our unwavering support it’s NOW. They all do. All great shooters go through this. I promise you NO ONE feels worse than KLS. NO ONE!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Posters keep saying what KLS is thinking. No one knows what she is thinking. As far as playing out of position, Gabby played out of position her entire carer and Collier has playing out of position. KLS is struggling at this point in the season and no one knows if or when she will stop struggling. If the season ended today, she would not be on the first or second team of AA or at least should not be. Maybe she will attain that status by the end of the season, but that remains to be seen. The excuses some people are making for her are weak and the criticisms are unnecessary. If she is truly an AA, she will start playing like one.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Lou played all forty minutes today, and my reaction to that stat is, why? For some reason, the head coach always seems reluctant to sit Lou, even when the situation really does call for it. He should have done it for a stretch late in last year's semi-final in Columbus when she had four fouls, and he certainly should have done it today with her struggles being so evident.
Maybe Geno knows something about Lou's mentally that we don't. Pulling her would tear at her confidence and would take time and effort to rebuild it which is more fragile than Stewart's mindset. Geno feels he needs to keep working her full time to fix the issue and the issue needs fixing to win an NC.

Reaction Score
Starting next year they'll be lots of happy fans here because KLS will graduate...or am I reading my tea leaves too early?

Reaction Score
Katie Lou is having a challenging Senior Year like Ann Strother did, having to be a post player, having to play out of position for the team, having to be the vocal leader and keep everyone else up when things get tough, physically being beatup in the post play, lots of no calls, trying to keep contributing in ways she used too, trying to do more defensively, rebounding, she does not have the team makeup to put her in a position of success this season, teams key on her to shut her down, even Dee had this happen Senior year for sometime as well, the pressure she is putting on herself is incredible, this happens...Yet she doesn’t ever give up...She is a Husky...Couldn’t be prouder...

Does she have anyone else in her corner on this forum?
I’m in her corner. I may criticize, but that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate. I can’t imagine how hard this year is. Taking the highest level courses, being asked to be their “do everything” player, and having getting physically beat up much like they used to do with Stewie. I’m thoroughly impressed by her willingness to take so much contact, post up strong, and rebound to help her team.

Reaction Score
Starting next year they'll be lots of happy fans here because KLS will graduate...or am I reading my tea leaves too early?
I’ll be happy she graduated, but not because I want her off the team. I would hope everyone would be happy when these girls graduate and move on to bigger and better things. Her presence will be missed next year.

Reaction Score
Glad all of us fans love to tear down our players...oh wait...Head bang:rolleyes:
The MAJOR PROBLEM WITH LOU IS----SHE ISN'T A ROBOT, SHE IS HUMAN. The kids works her tail off, when the team needs a score she usually provides it. What you are seeing now isn't a Lou or Napheesa problem--it is a TEAM problem (coaches, players, subs). ONLY Geno can fix it.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
You may be correct. And so might @donalddoowop. Your points are not mutually exclusive. KLS may be picked as one of the players on 5-man team, but that's because Lou is a great spot up shooter, and the other players a person would select would allow Lou to play that role, stretching the defense. But this season Lou doesn't have a team that complements her skills, so she is forced to play a different role. And as donalddoowop noted, her statistics do not presently warrant consideration as an All-American this season.

Reaction Score
This is not an excuse, as Lou and most of her teammates did not play particularly well, but here's an explanation of what happened today. UConn loses to Louisville on Thursday night. By the time they finish with post game interviews, get dressed, get on the bus, drive to Cincy and check into their rooms it's well past midnight. At some point Friday they have meetings and practice to prepare for Cincy. No shootaround Saturday morning with the early start. In the meantime, Cincy has an extra day to prepare after their big win at USF on Wednesday, and they're home.

For past UConn teams, this scenario would not have presented much of a problem, but for this team, everything they do seems to matter a lot.
Thank you , thank you , thank you. These kids are mentally and physically tired.
REST is my prescription.
What most fans fail to think: There are 2 teams on the floor, and in these last 2 games 18000, and more than natural at Cinic, fans jeering, and cheering their teams. They will foul, push, pull to win that game--they are not all Gimme's.
5 kids mixed with a sub here and there--no real continuity, mix and match chemistry but tired. Lou or Napheesa or Danger have given all they can give--no real help. These kids should hear the Teddy P (the guy with the blue and white hat) UCoNN, UCONN, UConn cheer.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Maybe Geno knows something about Lou's mentally that we don't. Pulling her would tear at her confidence and would take time and effort to rebuild it which is more fragile than Stewart's mindset. Geno feels he needs to keep working her full time to fix the issue and the issue needs fixing to win an NC.
What about the other player's confidence he pulls who have not played as long as KLS has? She is a senior and should be able to handle it. I'd be more concerned about the confidence of the younger players who are the future of the program. They have yet to establish themselves.

Reaction Score
I’m in her corner. I may criticize, but that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate. I can’t imagine how hard this year is. Taking the highest level courses, being asked to be their “do everything” player, and having getting physically beat up much like they used to do with Stewie. I’m thoroughly impressed by her willingness to take so much contact, post up strong, and rebound to help her team.
Lou is taking NO courses this semester - she has finished all her course work. Maybe she should take a course or something.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Lou is taking NO courses this semester - she has finished all her course work. Maybe she should take a course or something.
A crash course in 3-point shooting? Sorry, couldn't resist :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom