Looking like rescheduled Providence game won't happen | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Looking like rescheduled Providence game won't happen

Orc

Reaction Score
They have a better team this year. Better that we avoid another loss or they will constantly rub it in our faces how they won their superbowl.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
If I was PC I would be pissed we dont get UConn at home.

Funny you say that. I have seen plenty of PC fans on Twitter laughing at the fact that we don’t get to play them a second time. Celebratory almost.

Reaction Score
At the rate things are going, and how well Providence is playing, it's a lost opportunity for UCONN. Until we get our act together, the Dunk is the last place I'd want to play. They just beat Xavier and St Johns on the road and Marquette at home, all with those 3 teams at full strength (in fact Providence was the short manned team without Reeves (who torched us) at Xavier. I might have bought into the luck thing a month ago, and it pains me to say it, but they are simply the better team until we prove otherwise.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They have a better team this year. Better that we avoid another loss or they will constantly rub it in our faces how they won their superbowl.
Our?

Reaction Score

It may come down to:
-a team can’t play more than 3 games per week
-a team can’t play 3 games per week in back to back weeks.

For the dates mentioned, have not checked all, but we play Marquette on 2/8, and if 2/17, it would be our 4th game in one week.

Reaction Score
Because they know it hurts us in any tie breaker situation
They are going to miss 3 games and we are going to miss one. Tiebreakers won’t come into play.

Reaction Score

Providence has mixed results from metrics

Providence remains a No. 2 seed in the bracket in spite of the fact that the more margin-of-victory based metrics do not much care for the Friars.

However, even though the NCAA selection committee oversaw the creation of the NET, which is significantly influenced by margin of victory, the selection process is not. It is very results-oriented and does not incentivize MOV.

Still, besides the NET, there are three other rankings on the team sheets that are heavily invested in margin of victory, even more so than the NET. KenPom.com and Sagarin.com are attempting to predict point spreads, so naturally, MOV matters a lot. BPI seems to fit in that category as well.

In 2017, the NCAA had a meeting to start discussing how to replace the RPI with something more sophisticated, and during that discussion, Ken Pomeroy told the NCAA folks that he felt they should not use his rankings because they are not measuring what the NCAA is trying to reward. Yet, many people feel they should be the only thing used.

And since this is a results-oriented process, Pomeroy's probably right. There are two other metrics on the team sheets, KPI and SOR, that include margin of victory in some form or fashion, but are generally more results-oriented.

Which brings me back to Providence. The Friars average ranking in the MOV metrics is 36, but they are ranked third in each of the more results-oriented ones. I think their resume aligns more closely with the results-oriented metrics than the MOV ones for now.

However, there are five weeks left until Selection Sunday and those metrics figure to converge some between now and when it really matters. If Providence is still in the 30s in the MOV-based metrics then, they probably have not played well enough over the next five weeks to stay that high in the bracket.

Other teams for which the two sets of metrics disagree include Gonzaga, Houston, UConn, Wisconsin and Iowa.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
If PC is a 2 seed then I like that 15 seed. Especially with the points.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
I'm happy for Providence and the success they are currently having. They did what they had to do, have 3 great wins and deserve the notoriety. I Clap and support our BE brothers.

D611B38C-BB91-4DB4-8E53-E0539F32E3D9.jpeg

/s

Reaction Score
Which team do you want: Huskies who blow out Q4 opponents but have so far struggled with Q1 Big East teams or Friars who blow out no one, to include Q4, but simply win? Which is the better team for March?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Providence is the 6th ranked BE team on Kenpom. That is why he said that.
Can someone give me our 2011 and 2014 Kenpoms.

Analytics are fine. Games are played on the court .

August_West

Reaction Score
Q1, Q4 blah blah blah

Just win, baby. (/Al Davis)

Reaction Score

I agree, I was just explaining why he chose that specific number, but our rankings those years were still much better than PC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That’s not even a good troll. It just makes him look stupid.
Disagree. The hotness of that take is exactly what makes it a troll.

Reaction Score

Pre tournament in Kenpom Baylor was 4 last year, UVA was 1 in 2019, Nova was 2 in 2018, UNC was 3 in 2017.............

Or you can ignore the analytics because of the random exceptions.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
At the rate things are going, and how well Providence is playing, it's a lost opportunity for UCONN. Until we get our act together, the Dunk is the last place I'd want to play. They just beat Xavier and St Johns on the road and Marquette at home, all with those 3 teams at full strength (in fact Providence was the short manned team without Reeves (who torched us) at Xavier. I might have bought into the luck thing a month ago, and it pains me to say it, but they are simply the better team until we prove otherwise.
It's interesting to see how things work out over the course of a season. Providence just beat Georgetown which gave them all they could handle for 3/4 of the game before pulling away. Also, if you take a close look at the Friars' wins, several of them are by razor thin margins, kind of the opposite of us. Whether it's making that one extra play, getting a break, or just gutting out a victory, they've found a way to win, just like Auburn and Houston. In my opinion, there is very little difference between Providence and UConn, but the difference is significant as reflected in each team's respective record up to this point. We've not yet reached that point where we are on the plus side of nearly all of those nailbiters, and in the Big East you need to have that.

August_West

Reaction Score
We were 15th pre NCAA tournament in 2011 and 25th in 2014

Those are not NC tourney winning caliber KenPoms.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom