Long Goodman article on the program | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Long Goodman article on the program

Reaction Score
That's not true. UConn has almost always done this. You can have one or two projects but you can't have 7 or 8 of them which UConn seems to have.
EVERY player is a project...aka the oft mentioned Diallo, who is now appearing to be a bust at Kentucky.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It's amazing Twitter was taking losses for 12 years till it finally profited.

Reaction Score
"... there's also that question of whether Adams has any confidence giving the ball to teammates that just haven't made shots."
This may say more about our offense problems than anything else and there is plenty of anything else.

Reaction Score
Foreshadowing:

What do they get out of this? Is there more we don’t know? If Sr. is singing to the NCAA and Vance is now mocking KO on twitter, it leads me to think that there is much more to the Jackson family and KO’s relationship. What really went down???

Reaction Score
This goes against everything we know about Kevin Ollie who prides himself on being a hard worker. This is a fringe NBA player who worked and willed himself into a decent career and financial independence. I don’t understand how he could go to watch these coveted recruits only one time while Calipari saw them multiple times. We know he must have sent other staff but is this just that he delegated? Does he fly all over the country to see recruits? If he is not seeing Diallo because he is all over the US on other guys I guess that is a reason. The average fans like us don’t know his schedule, who does what and if he is really negligent or lazy. Is it possible that one of the the reasons for his divorce was not spending enough family time and he pulled back to compensate?
I really don't care about his problems and the excuses...at $3 Million a year you better perform or . The guy is a disaster.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Believe me, if u truly know my ID. U will be bragging to your friends
84c4cc353a9e4eb003711dd7957b854ed4fc0ab9a0ffe939eaa67554a4404ec9.jpg

Reaction Score
Lazy is the wrong word. Disinterested is more apt.

He’s a very wealthy guy who has retired from his first profession. His current profession pays very well, but requires some menial labor that he doesn’t seem to like doing. (I’d be worse. I’d sit in the office and watch YouTube videos and price Bentleys all day.)

As a result, the talent isn’t here, the development doesn’t happen and the team is generally unprepared.

Fake it ‘til you make it replaced ten toes in a long time ago. With the genie out of the bottle now, it’s basically over.

Sadly, I agree with everything you are saying. Do you have a Fishy's Top Five (Realistic) Targets?

Reaction Score
I know he’s just a kid but this kid and his dad deserve some seriously bar karma.
He is, what, 19 or 20...not really a kid anymore. Just a...."mumu" and someone who at this point, is very late in learning about respect. balloon knot Shame on him.

Reaction Score
Very good article. Brings out KO's strengths and weaknesses well. This year's team had a dearth of talent so it absolutely needed toughness, defense, and rebounding. It's a terrible indictment that even the players acknowledge that is lacking. Recruiting failures would be forgivable if it were clear they were being fixed. I like the class coming in (which attempts to address the critical needs of point guard, shooter, and center), but not much noise re 2019 yet and with the NCAA nosing around and all the chatter around Ollie, recruiting for 2019 and beyond will be difficult. The concerns over player development -- Vance Jackson leaving for lack of a development plan, the hint that coaches aren't as available as they should be for individual instruction -- are touched on. Finally, it comes down to does Ollie have the strategic sense he needs to be a successful head coach? It's been lacking, can he acquire it? Losing Hobbs and having no assistant with head coaching experience and not maintaining the help from Calhoun are a concern.
This all signals that he needs to go asap. I was a HUGE Ollie supporter but ive come to the realization that he is failing not just to maintain the standard set here but to even maintain a level of respectability. This program is absolutely lousy right now and in reading this article which confirms things that have been said here the finger points directly at Ollie. He has to go! We need a bulldog to be in charge. A no nonsense grinder who relentlessly gets after it and lives breaths, eats and craps basketball. Calhoun 2.o and please dont take that as a comparison but only a style comparison.

Reaction Score
You can argue Ollie lost it and that he's no good and should be fired.

Arguing that Calhoun was wrong to shoehorn him into the job is lame given 2013-2014.

This is a lazy interpretation. It's not that KO had what it takes to run a major program, and then lost it.

KO in 2013-14 got to run a team out of JC's recruits -- guys who came in with toughness, good basketball IQ, and eagerness to be coached and to win. He did a good job getting those guys to achieve their potential.

After that, it was on him to not just run a team, but build a program -- bring in his own recruits, instill a system, and get guys to buy in. He failed.

It's not that he fundamentally changed as a coach. It's that he was fine at only having to do a small portion of the job, and was woefully in over his head at running the entirety of the program, which is what many of us were worried about at the outset.

His demeanor and effort went downhill because he realized he had no idea what he was doing, not the other way around.

C

Chief00

Firing the assistant coach with the best relationship with the players and who was working the hardest on recruiting seems like a head scratcher. It must have been all those junk zone defenses and academic plans Miller was forcing on everyone.

I going to state the obvious, Miller was recruiting coordinator during the years that Goodman highlighted that our recruiting was poor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom