Long Goodman article on the program | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Long Goodman article on the program

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
You would want nothing more than for the program to blow up if Kevin Ollie is fired? I thought you were a Uconn fan. I’m confused. t least you’ve made everyone here know your true feelings and allegiance.

Yeah so I could say, I told you so.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
So for you the coach is more important than the program. If they fire KO you hope the program crashes and burns. A case of misplaced loyalty.... and your doing what you accuse loyal UConn fans who want KO fired for cause of doing. We all wanted UConn AND KO TO SUCCEED but unfortunately it’s not happening and when we point that out were accused of hoping that KO failed.... which was never true. You and those who think like you are part of the problem and from where I’m sitting it looks like the program HAS ALREADY BLOWN UP.... Two losing seasons in a row and the all time record for most 20 point blowouts in one season. How much further do you want the program to slide before enough is enough!

Can't get any worse. Might as well give him the benefit of the doubt and let him do his job. Give him a steep pay cut and performance based bonuses from here on out. If he cares, he will stay despite his pay reduction .

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
I've seen some crazy/lunatic posts on The Boneyard...mostly in the football forum and most of them written by @nelsonmuntz ...but @UConn_Top_Dog this post will forever hold the top position. The fact you even were able put your fingers to a keyboard and type this nonsensical b u l l s h * t speaks volumes.

Thank you. I take pride in calling out malakas. You ain't seen nothing yet. Can't wait to see KO still here next year to watch your head explode.

Reaction Score
Can't get any worse. Might as well give him the benefit of the doubt and let him do his job. Give him a steep pay cut and performance based bonuses from here on out. If he cares, he will stay despite his pay reduction .
He has a binding contract for a long time. He doesn’t have to negotiate anything.

Reaction Score
The most concerning thing I read, regarding Vance:

"Jackson, who averaged 8.1 points and 26 minutes per game as a freshman, met with Ollie after last season and wanted to know what the plan was for him to be able to develop into more than just a spot-up shooter."

"[Jackson] wanted a clear plan going forward," the source said. "
He didn't want to transfer, but there was no plan."

Huh? No plan for a player that we could've really used this season and beyond? No plan for a player who actually wanted to stay? If this is true then this is finally does it for me. He needs to be gone and we need a change.
What didn't you understand about Jackson hitting the gym? The kid was slow and lazy. And I must have missed how well he shot because I saw a lot of airballs from him.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What didn't you understand about Jackson hitting the gym? The kid was slow and lazy. And I must have missed how well he shot because I saw a lot of airballs from him.

Please.

As a freshman he had an effective fg% of 53.3 and shot 39.7% from 3 pt range.

He was so far head and shoulders above everyone on last year’s team as a shooter it’s ridiculous.

You don’t like the kid and you don’t want him around - fine I guess. The kid can shoot the basketball.

Reaction Score
Someone said lazy. Lazy is often a symptom of depression. If that is an issue for him, I feel for the guy, I really do. And I hope he gets help. No one should suffer through that.

I was skeptical when he was hired. But I trusted Calhoun. And the first season had some nice moments. And the second season had a great ending. I was sold. But then it slowly degraded and it is clear this is unrecoverable. It is about performance.
not usually a fan, especially of his silly Twitter persona, but this is a pretty reasonable and fair take:

Can Kevin Ollie save UConn from irrelevance?

Some pretty troubling information here, but I'm still inclined to give him one more year if he holds the team together and all the recruits honor their commitments.

I know, I know, maybe it's better to cut the losses now, but someone mentioned depression, maybe as a result of the divorce, and it's up to the AD to figure that out and make the right decision. We'll never know for sure.

As to Diallo and Ashton-Langford, and how about Wenyen Gabriel, look at how "well" they've developed at Kentucky and Providence. The Kentucky fans are supposedly fed up with Diallo and he and Gabriel were supposed to be "one, and dones" but won't be unless they're forced out by that master talent developer John Calipari, or get bad advice like Daniels did.

And, if Ashton-Langford (based on his performance with Providence) was with UConn he would be better than the walk-ons but who else? Some would probably be saying Ollie ruined him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And, if Ashton-Langford (based on his performance with Providence) was with UConn he would be better than the walk-ons but who else? Some would probably be saying Ollie ruined him.
Well other that his performance against us. He looked pretty good then.

Reaction Score
Some pretty troubling information here, but I'm still inclined to give him one more year if he holds the team together and all the recruits honor their commitments.

I know, I know, maybe it's better to cut the losses now, but someone mentioned depression, maybe as a result of the divorce, and it's up to the AD to figure that out and make the right decision. We'll never know for sure.

As to Diallo and Ashton-Langford, and how about Wenyen Gabriel, look at how "well" they've developed at Kentucky and Providence. The Kentucky fans are supposedly fed up with Diallo and he and Gabriel were supposed to be "one, and dones" but won't be unless they're forced out by that master talent developer John Calipari, or get bad advice like Daniels did.

We really want our AD to keep a Coach because he might be depressed?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Been meaning to tell you that you have a great handle and avatar.
I keep hearing this crap "if things don't dramatically improve then I'm in favor"... WTF!!!!!!!!!!!
At this point, just being competitive would be a dramatic improvement.

Anyone. Someone. If such a person exists. What would a 'dramatic' improvement need to be? Winning the last game of the season? Winning 2 of 3? Finishing above .500?

There are 6 games left in this season, and if we're lucky, in Ollie's career as head coach of Uconn. There is maybe 1 win left. But there are at least 3 or 4 more 20 point losses. I just don't get what people think is going to happen after 25 games into the season.

Reaction Score
We really want our AD to keep a Coach because he might be depressed?
Now I've heard it all, we should keep the guy who is paid over 3 mil. per year because he got divorced 3 years ago and may be depressed.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
And if he really cares, he'll return 50% of what he's been overpaid this year and donate the other 50% to a charity determined by a poll here in which there's no limit to how many times you can vote and a small donation from each vote goes to the Boneyard. How is that money collected? Cybercurrency offset from the screen rights sale for "Cesspool: The Movie."
You're welcome.

Reaction Score
Give him a steep pay cut and performance based bonuses from here on out. If he cares, he will stay despite his pay reduction .
What world do you live in where this is even a possibility?

I'd love to be fly on the wall for that conversation.

AD Dave: Kevin, we're going to have to let you go.

Ollie: Ok. That'll be $9 million dollars, please.

AD Dave: OR....or...we forget about that pesky little contract you signed and we pay you a small fraction of the king's ransom that you're currently making for the exact same job.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Despite some ridiculous claims to the contrary here, no one wanted him to fail.

But all of the reasons listed in that article have been mentioned here for some time....he doesn’t work hard enough.

This is all on Kevin Ollie. All of it.

Fishy, forgive my cluelessness here and not sure this can or will be discussed in this forum, but I'll ask in the hope you or anyone will address this question. Why did Ollie fail to dedicate the time needed to bring in these recruits? Is there something unstated that's going on w/ KO known to insiders? Is there a demon of some sort? It doesn't make any sense to be a coach, particularly a UCONN coach and get outworked as it relates to recruiting. At this level, recruiting is a large part of the job. I mean Coach Calhoun made work and grit a big part of our brand. On its face its very difficult to understand.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What world do you live in where this is even a possibility?

I'd love to be fly on the wall for that conversation.

AD Dave: Kevin, we're going to have to let you go.

Ollie: Ok. That'll be $9 million dollars, please.

AD Dave: OR....or...we forget about that pesky little contract you signed and we pay you a small fraction of the king's ransom that you're currently making for the exact same job.

I agree. The only chance is if Ollie has lost interest in coaching, amd wants out.

Reaction Score
Let’s start a fund to find the former Mrs Ollie instead of the buyout. Get these kids back together, counseled , in love again. And get us back to the place of wonder and anticipation we all came to love. And just forget this little bumpy patch all relationships go through and how neither side backed away but pulled closer.

C

Chief00

You can stick it in your hat with this one, Chief. You were woofing about Enoch when he signed. And the class after that was ranked pretty highly. Miller didn’t run those guys out of town.

I agree Miller did not run Enoch and Durham out of town. That’s on KO. Their slow development is on them and both Miller the Bigs Coach and KO for not having a Bigs friendly system.

C

Chief00

Let’s start a fund to find the former Mrs Ollie instead of the buyout. Get these kids back together, counseled , in love again. And get us back to the place of wonder and anticipation we all came to love. And just forget this little bumpy patch all relationships go through and how neither side backed away but pulled closer.
The realistic problem here is KO has massive Alimony payments for 6 years - so he’s got a few more years left where he needs to fund that - so that would constrain him in negotiations. What he “voluntarily” gives up - will a judge agree he was in a situation that he had to give it up and therefore is willing to modify alimony downward if KO requests modification? Normally a 15% change in income could create a potential “substantial” change in income, which might warrant an alimony modifiication scenario. But,how does a judge view that given his other assets?

Reaction Score
In the past month, Goodman has covered for ESPN the Ball's in Lithuania and the demise of the UConn program. He also enjoys poking fun at Georgetown, for good reason I must add. In other words, Goodman is a troll. He is to sports media what TMZ is to sports media. He offers no value. The best thing we could do is to simply ignore him. He is trying to exploit our diehard, emotional fan base and smells blood. Don't click. Don't bite the bait. We are playing right into his hands. If we ignore him, like all trolls, he will go away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom