LOL Pats Fans - it never ends | Page 23 | The Boneyard

LOL Pats Fans - it never ends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, what do you think of the Walt Anderson gauge thing? Why would they go out of their way to lie about that?

So, the Colts balls were then measured with the same needle, the end.

Reaction Score
So, the Colts balls were then measured with the same needle, the end.

Why are the Colts balls relevant? The report dismissed their significance because only 4 were tested. Not the entire set. And yeah, they were measured with the same needle.

Do you even understand what is going on?

Reaction Score
1:Why are the Colts balls relevant?2: The report dismissed their significance because only 4 were tested. Not the entire set. 3:And yeah, they were measured with the same needle.

1: Because if they were measured by the same needle then the difference in numbers still count, 100%
2: The Wells report did not dismiss the Colts balls numbers significance at all
3: See. #1

Yes, you are madly in love with Tom Brady. So much that if he raped and murdered your entire family in front of you, while the whole time saying he is Tom Brady, dropping his I.D. and DNA you would say it wasn't him to the cops. Then testify in his defense at his trial.

Reaction Score
I'll say it again. My concern is Brady playing, and now loss of draft picks. The sissy stuff about cheating, I am less concerned about.

I was right when it was shown in the report that the balls were not deflated below what you'd expect.

The only way that wells came to another conclusion was by lying. That much has been proven by even Mike Florio at NBC and Peter King.
Who the hell cares about your argument of PSI. Its intent, not actualization, and it's a business not a science lab.

Reaction Score
Why are the Colts balls relevant? The report dismissed their significance because only 4 were tested. Not the entire set. And yeah, they were measured with the same needle.

Clearly he does not. At some point you'd think he would question his motivation for even involving himself in this argument (especially as he continues to prove that he is an idiot) for such an extended period of time.

WTF does that have to do with what we're talking about?

Sigh, read your post that I replied to with that.

Simply put, ESPN perpetuating this cycle of self sustaining 'outrage' and manufactured interest/disappointment in this story is pretty clearly $ driven click-bait. Goodell, after having been battered for the better part of the past year (which has been mainly driven by ESPN as well) simply saw which way the wind was blowing and this was his reaction. This is the same ESPN that chose to look the other way and not really attack the NBA or their commissioner over the Donald Sterling fiasco last year (even though his abundant racism has been pretty well known-if hidden-for quite some time), for obvious financial reasons. The same ESPN that dragged Joe Paterno and involved him and his name much more in the Sandusky fiasco than what his role in that situation actually was. The same ESPN that made Tiger Woods out to be "THE WORST PERSON EVAR!!!!" because he slept around on his wife, which is something I presume a fairly large portion of professional athletes do. ESPN loves taking down big names because it means a lot of $$$ for them, but because they're a 24 hour network with numerous platforms of content to fill, they typically resort to having their on air personalities engage in a company wide pissing contest where the winner is the one that advocates for the most severe penalty/public perception hit/demonization/etc.

Reaction Score
Clearly he does not. At some point you'd think he would question his motivation for even involving himself in this argument (especially as he continues to prove that he is an idiot) for such an extended period of time.

Simply put, ESPN perpetuating this cycle of self sustaining 'outrage' and manufactured interest/disappointment in this story is pretty clearly $ driven click-bait. Goodell, after having been battered for the better part of the past year (which has been mainly driven by ESPN as well) simply saw which way the wind was blowing and this was his reaction. This is the same ESPN that chose to look the other way and not really attack the NBA or their commissioner over the Donald Sterling fiasco last year (even though his abundant racism has been pretty well known-if hidden-for quite some time), for obvious financial reasons. The same ESPN that dragged Joe Paterno and involved him and his name much more in the Sandusky fiasco than what his role in that situation actually was. The same ESPN that made Tiger Woods out to be "THE WORST PERSON EVAR!!!!" because he slept around on his wife, which is something I presume a fairly large portion of professional athletes do. ESPN loves taking down big names because it means a lot of $$$ for them, but because they're a 24 hour network with numerous platforms of content to fill, they typically resort to having their on air personalities engage in a company wide pissing contest where the winner is the one that advocates for the most severe penalty/public perception hit/demonization/etc.

You made fun of me for using your instead of you're, and you spewed this moronic pile of dog sh#^.

I think calling you a moron earlier was kind.

Reaction Score
1: Because if they were measured by the same needle then the difference in numbers still count, 100%

Yes, you are madly in love with Tom Brady. So much that if he raped and murdered your entire family in front of you, while the whole time saying he is Tom Brady, dropping his I.D. and DNA you would say it wasn't him to the cops. Then testify in his defense at his trial.

First, I'll answer your questions below, but let's get this out of the way first:

You still haven't even addressed the FACT that the Wells people doubted Anderson and then flat out stated that he probably used the gauge that he said, to his best recollection, he did not use.

THEY LIED.

The Wells people are lying. Don't you get it?

As for the rest, you are wrong about #2. Therefore you are wrong about #1 and #3. In the Appendix, the Exponent people discussed 3 things about the Colts balls that made the comparisons difficult if not impossible. One, the balls showed weird readings with the gauges that they couldn't figure out. Specifically, ball #3 showed a much higher reading on Blakeman's device than on Prioleau's device, even though Blakeman's device was .4 under Prioleau's on all 3 other balls. No one could explain this, so they decided to discard that ball from the statistical analysis. Effectively, they had 12 Patriots balls with readings and 3 Colts balls. But, as some Patriots balls barely went down in pressure (.2 PSI), the report assumes that some balls were used in the game in cold wet conditions while others remained in the bag. In other words, what would be the ratings of Colts balls if all balls were tested. That's two factors that makes this comparison difficult. Third factor: why did they only test 4 Colts balls? They ran out of time before kickoff. They tested the Colts balls last. The Wells report even has this timed. The were tested after being in the shower room for 10 minutes. A Physicist Martin Schmaltz from BU wrote that this would be enough time for them to achieve equilibrium. It may also be enough time for some of the Patriots balls to achieve equilibrium.

Here are the relevant pages, BURIED in the Appendix:

All of these factors were found to contribute in varying degrees to changes in the internal pressure of footballs. However, given the magnitude of the temperature change that would have affected the footballs at halftime when they were brought from the field to the locker room, a key factor in explaining the difference in measurements between the Patriots and Colts footballs is timing; that is, the change in pressure with time as the footballs were brought from a colder environment (the field) to a warmer environment (the Officials Locker Room) at halftime.

If the Logo Gauge was used pre-game, the Patriots average halftime measurement will match the pressures predicted by the transient curves (with the Colts halftime measurements also matching the predicted range), but only if the testing of the Patriots balls began immediately once the footballs arrived in the Officials Locker Room at halftime and took no more than 4 minutes, and only if the majority of the Patriots game balls were wet. As noted, testing of the Patriots balls is likely to have begun no sooner than 2 minutes and is likely to have taken approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Further, based on statements made to Paul, Weiss (and subsequently conveyed to Exponent) by Patriots ballboys and game officials, we understand that some of the Patriots game balls may have been damp when tested at halftime, but none were waterlogged.

LOL, a torrential downpour!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who the hell cares about your argument of PSI. Its intent, not actualization, and it's a business not a science lab.

Intent? What about admission? People have admitted altering balls. What happens to them?

Reaction Score
You made fun of me for using your instead of you're, and you spewed this moronic pile of dog sh#^.

I think calling you a moron earlier was kind.

I think we're long past the point of anyone around here taking you seriously. Also my explaining that clearly wasn't for you anyways, as I already knew it'd go over your head.

Reaction Score
First, I'll answer your questions below, but let's get this out of the way first:

You still haven't even addressed the FACT that the Wells people doubted Anderson and then flat out stated that he probably used the gauge that he said, to his best recollection, he did not use.

THEY LIED.

The Wells people are lying. Don't you get it?

As for the rest, you are wrong about #2. Therefore you are wrong about #1 and #3. In the Appendix, the Exponent people discussed 3 things about the Colts balls that made the comparisons difficult if not impossible. One, the balls showed weird readings with the gauges that they couldn't figure out. Specifically, ball #3 showed a much higher reading on Blakeman's device than on Prioleau's device, even though Blakeman's device was .4 under Prioleau's on all 3 other balls. No one could explain this, so they decided to discard that ball from the statistical analysis. Effectively, they had 12 Patriots balls with readings and 3 Colts balls. But, as some Patriots balls barely went down in pressure (.2 PSI), the report assumes that some balls were used in the game in cold wet conditions while others remained in the bag. In other words, what would be the ratings of Colts balls if all balls were tested. That's two factors that makes this comparison difficult. Third factor: why did they only test 4 Colts balls? They ran out of time before kickoff. They tested the Colts balls last. The Wells report even has this timed. The were tested after being in the shower room for 10 minutes. A Physicist Martin Schmaltz from BU wrote that this would be enough time for them to achieve equilibrium. It may also be enough time for some of the Patriots balls to achieve equilibrium.

Here are the relevant pages, BURIED in the Appendix:

LOL, a torrential downpour!

Instead of wasting your time trying to explain the nuts and bolts to someone who either can't or simply does not want to understand, you'd be better brushing it off with the reasoning I've given.

Reaction Score

Blaming ESPN in a sports argument is always hilarious. Well done.

Reaction Score
Blaming ESPN in a sports argument is always hilarious. Well done.

Yes, ESPN is at the forefront of journalistic integrity and not at all TMZ sports that does such things as over-emphasize athletes like Tebow and Manziel beyond any logical reason, or runs a show every morning that is a reference to a twitter hashtag that features 2 men with very questionable qualifications attempting to out-troll one another. Also ESPN television/radio personalities are typically responsible for their own opinions and not given strict guideline/talking points by their producers, it's just a coincidence that the entire 6am-6pm block of talk show programming ESPN features an unrealistically high number of people all having the exact same opinion about the various daily topics, and that said topics are discussed in the exact same order across all shows and platforms.

It's fairly common knowledge that ESPN creates and perpetuates their own sports news these days, rather than just reporting from a journalistic standpoint and letting the facts speak for themselves.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
amused by how many people embrace a kangaroo court, evidence be damned, we have opinions and it's probable that Brady may have known about something that may have happened, so there, take that. Whoop whoop whoop

so they embrace a man like Roger Goodell and enable him to use terms like "integrity" when he himself is a documented liar (Ray Rice anyone?) and has been preventing from overreaching on more than one occasion already

it's a great country, I hope the haters never get treated in the same fashion they embrace

you would think UConn fans would know better too, damn

willie99

Reaction Score

people acting as if there's no room for dissension are somewhat amusing to begin with, throw in asinine responses like this one and I can only shake my head

truth is, I shouldn't even respond to such poppycock, so this will be the last time a give such brilliance like this any attention what so ever

Reaction Score
Again, the facts of this case--the actual facts--undermine the NFL's position. Anyone who can read can at least see how ridiculously thin the evidence is. To come to a clear conclusion, you have to start with an open mind; too many here assumed the Pats were guilty and then worked from there.

I hate defending the Patriots as a Giants fan, but this whole thing is embarrassing to the NFL.

Reaction Score
Again. They cheated. Got caught. Got punished. Is it really more complex than that?

Except for the fact that the balls weren't tampered with, you're right.

willie99

Reaction Score
Again, the facts of this case--the actual facts--undermine the NFL's position. Anyone who can read can at least see how ridiculously thin the evidence is. To come to a clear conclusion, you have to start with an open mind; too many here assumed the Pats were guilty and then worked from there.

I hate defending the Patriots as a Giants fan, but this whole thing is embarrassing to the NFL.

QFT

thank you, and I hate the Giants, but that's a sign of respect

willie99

Reaction Score
Again. They cheated. Got caught. Got punished. Is it really more complex than that?

that's called begging the question, a very common argumentative fallacy, especially on the WWW

Reaction Score
So, this morning, I just learned that Gostkowski was also investigated. Apparently there were complaints about deflated kicking balls both in the Ravens game and in the Colts game. Colts also claimed there were deflated balls in the season game at Indy. The ghost of Jim McNally must have done that. When Wells investigated, it found the kicking balls are treated differently, unpacked by the refs, new balls, and held by an NFL employee the whole time. So Gostkowski wasn't dinged.

But, here's the kicker. Gostkowski refused to give over his cell phone as well. And he received no punishment.

This puts the lie to the idea that Brady's punishment has something to do with compliance. It's all about the deflation of the balls at the AFCCG. The Wells people absolute lied that the balls were tampered with. Out and out lies. Only Peter King and Mike Florio have picked up on this so far.

Reaction Score
Question. Deflated footballs might be easier to throw and catch but how about kick offs and field goals ?

Reaction Score
John Teti said:
The league is intent to argue that Deflategate, our collective descent into sports-chatter hell, was borne from principled respect for the rules and isn’t about the ruination of a proven winner. But if you’re going to take that view, then you have to explain why a similar stink wasn’t raised, for instance, when both the Minnesota Vikings and Carolina Panthers were found to be heating their balls on the sidelines during a chilly game they played against each other last November. While almost everyone enjoys warm balls, this sort of equipment manipulation is against NFL rules, which raises the question: Why do the Vikings and Panthers have such a deep-seated disregard for fair play? Are they nihilists? They’re probably nihilists.

It’s also hard to figure—as far as integrity is concerned—why a multi-million-dollar investigation didn’t spring from the godhead of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell after the San Diego Chargers were caught applying a sticky, grip-enhancing substance to towels in 2012. Can you imagine befouling a league-approved towel in this manner? It’s almost as if the Chargers don’t even believe in society! When officials noticed the infraction, the San Diego staff tried to conceal their sticky towels, and for this the NFL fined the team $20,000, because Goodell wanted to get a real close look at the Chargers’ sticky towels.

Aside from the fine for hiding their shame, though, there wasn’t any punishment for the Chargers, nor for the Vikings and Panthers. (ESPN’s superb Patriots beat reporter, Mike Reiss, raised this in a Sunday column.) Unlike the Patriots, those teams’ infractions were not construed to threaten the fabric of our nation’s value system. Roger’s crew just told the rule-bending knuckleheads to cut it out already, you scamps! “What a bunch of dirty tricksters!” the nation agreed. Yet when the Patriots got caught deflating their balls, that was one masturbation metaphor too many. “Cheating is cheating!” the partisans cried, knowing that this particular tautology granted them sports-debate superpowers. (Try it yourself!)

What’s the difference between the Vikings/Panthers/Chargers and the Patriots? The Patriots have won a Super Bowl, and also, their name has three syllables. Now, it could be that the NFL has it out for teams with three syllables—they’re so much harder to pronounce. But I think this is more about the Super Bowls: four of them, won by New England, all recently. It isn’t a principled stand about the sanctity of the rules, nor is it even about the Patriots specifically. It’s about any single team winning a lot, which is a continued irritation for the majority of fans—not to mention the majority of the league’s owners.
This article gets to the heart of why I think this whole thing is a joke. It felt manufactured back before the Super Bowl, and it especially so with the suspension of Brady. There's no way he gets 4 games after the appeal.

Feels like a way to grab headlines in the off season.

Reaction Score
Question. Deflated footballs might be easier to throw and catch but how about kick offs and field goals ?

It all depends on the QB. Easier to catch yes, but not to throw. Aaron Rodgers prefers to throw overinflated. Sports Science on ESPN did a test and it found that underinflated balls dont travel as far and also they don't move as fast. So Rodgers has the advantage of throwing balls that travel further and faster.

Here's the thing though. The difference between a 10 PSI ball and a 15 PSI ball is about an inch over 50 yards, and a couple milliseconds over that distance. I'm sure it's easier to catch a slightly deflated ball. But then again, when you play in cold weather, no matter what, your ball is always going to be deflated. And there's absolutely nothing that the NFL can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom