Logistics of Big XII Expansion: Unsportsmanlike Conduct | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Logistics of Big XII Expansion: Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unlike Rutgers, we wouldn't finish in dead last in every single sport.

Not quite true.

*Rutgers Women's soccer just finished 3rd out of 14 teams in the Big Ten, and made it to the NCAA Women's Final 4 (and easily beat UCONN twice this year, including 4-0 in the NCAA tournament.)
*RU Men's soccer also finished 3rd in the Big Ten out of 10 teams, losing in the 2nd round of NCAA tournament.
*RU Wrestling currently ranked #6 in the country (11-2, 2-1 BIG)
*RU Women's basketball,even in a down year, is still in 6th place (out of 14 teams) at 12-5 (3-2 BIG)
*RU softball finished middle of the pack in the Big Ten, finishing 7th out of 14 teams with a 29-20 record

But don't let that get in the way of your argument.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'd like to send that OKie guy a trophy for going to bat for us.

The perception of our football program needs to be changed ASAP. Seems like a lot of folks forget or are too ignorant to realize that we went to a BCS bowl and that we were the fastest rising team to join 1A. One bad coaching hire and here we are. We must have a great season in football this fall! Must!
Exactly. The worst part is listening to fans of bottom of the barrel P5 football programs who were grandfathered into a P5 lifeboat tell us that we "need to be good at football to get out of the AAC". Meanwhile their team hasn't won in either football or bball in its entire history then they have the nerve to lecture us as to why we aren't P5 worthy. Back in 2011 UConn was coming off one of the best single seasons for all sports of a single program in recent memory, yet all that went to s*** when Pasqualoni and the sanctions came to town.

Reaction Score
Not quite true.

*Rutgers Women's soccer just finished 3rd out of 14 teams in the Big Ten, and made it to the NCAA Women's Final 4 (and easily beat UCONN twice this year, including 4-0 in the NCAA tournament.)
*RU Men's soccer also finished 3rd in the Big Ten out of 10 teams, losing in the 2nd round of NCAA tournament.
*RU Women's basketball,even in a down year, is still in 6th place (out of 14 teams) at 12-5 (3-2 BIG)
*RU softball finished middle of the pack in the Big Ten, finishing 7th out of 14 teams with a 29-20 record

Congratulations on those remarkable accomplishments. Rutgers continues to be a beacon of athletic success.

Reaction Score
Yes, and if we managed to become competitive in football, all the gripes would go away. I don't think it's impossible for a northeast school to become a high-level football program.

I love UConn but the lack of positive FB perception outside of CT is understood.

The "IF's" everyone (as do I) use in arguments for FB don't win us votes.

"Show me" does.

I love PJ's enthusiasm for UConn becoming a high level football program. I'd die for that.

But who in the NE can we point to as evidence to support the premise that achievement at the highest FB level is possible? Boston College? Now I snicker.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
But who in the NE can we point to as evidence to support the premise that achievement at the highest FB level is possible? Boston College? Now I snicker.
Ummm.... Penn State.

Reaction Score
Congratulations on those remarkable accomplishments. Rutgers continues to be a beacon of athletic success.

It's certainly a far cry from finishing dead last in every single sport as Dooley said.

Reaction Score

LOL rignt? Oh Rutgers bless your hearts. Clearly Dooley was angry and posting with a strong dose of hyperbole. However a hero felt the need to set the story straight. Relax dude you've proved your point. Rutgers isn't the absolute worst at every sport. Just most of them.

Reaction Score
Over on Landthieves OkieLite has been supporting UConn to the B-12 pretty hard. People don't understand TV DMA's and what having UConn would do to a conference network.....

Someone must have hacked that account. I thought Okie Lite lived for **** on UCONN.

Reaction Score
Someone must have hacked that account. I thought Okie Lite lived for **** on UCONN.
Me too...unless someone else stole his name....the one thing he talks about is the tv market UConn brings and how there isn't a school that can touch it.

Reaction Score
LOL rignt? Oh Rutgers bless your hearts. Clearly Dooley was angry and posting with a strong dose of hyperbole. However a hero felt the need to set the story straight. Relax dude you've proved your point. Rutgers isn't the absolute worst at every sport. Just most of them.

If I had even an ounce of respect for Penn State as an institution after the atrocities committed there under Paterno's watch, I would be insulted by your comment.

I don't know how you Penn State people do it. Living in PA, I'm embarrassed just to be seen with a cousin when he is wearing a Penn State shirt, and he NEVER wears anything Penn State-related when he travels outside the state's borders.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The saving grace here is that people who have knowledge like what Dooley has put together over the past few weeks are the ones who make the decisions. Fans and media do not. So their perception can be whatever the heck they want. Once you promote yourself enough and to the right people, you've done your job. It seems clear as day that UConn has been doing just that.

pj

Reaction Score
Me too...unless someone else stole his name....the one thing he talks about is the tv market UConn brings and how there isn't a school that can touch it.

At least he learned something during his time trolling us.

Reaction Score
Penn State is in NE??
Look at a map. It's in Pennsylvania. I'm pretty sure most people consider Pennsylvania a northeastern state. Plug in "northeast U.S." into google. You might be shocked at what you find.

Reaction Score
If you read that whole thread from the link, the most significant things people agree on is that we offer a brand, academics and market. That is definite improvement to what people out there thought 6 months ago. That thread really needs some of our good football facts like players in NFL etc.

Reaction Score
If I had even an ounce of respect for Penn State as an institution after the atrocities committed there under Paterno's watch, I would be insulted by your comment.

I don't know how you Penn State people do it. Living in PA, I'm embarrassed just to be seen with a cousin when he is wearing a Penn State shirt, and he NEVER wears anything Penn State-related when he travels outside the state's borders.
Do tell about these atrocities. You mean the one case that actually happened on campus a.k.a. the dubious shower incident for which Sandusky was acquitted of the most serious charges? I live in NYC. I've seen plenty of people wearing Penn State gear and have those magnets and paw print stickers on their car along with PSU alumni license plates.

pj

Reaction Score
I love PJ's enthusiasm for UConn becoming a high level football program. I'd die for that.

Penn State was a perennial power under Paterno. Syracuse went to multiple New Year's Day bowls in the 50s and 60s, won a national championship in 1959, went undefeated in 1987 and appeared in 4 New Year's Day bowls 1987-2001. Pitt had a great early history from Pop Warner on including multiple undefeated seasons and eight national championships by 1937, then won a national championship again with Tony Dorsett in 1976-77 and alost had more during three straight 11-1 seasons in 79-81 with Dan Marino. BC had its moment in the sun with Flutie.

Fundamentally, the reason UConn has a chance to play high level football is the high ratio of population to schools in the northeast. New York plus New England has 35 million people and 3 schools, UConn, BC, Syracuse. That's 12 million people per school, and UConn can easily become the premier brand among those three. Going farther out, New Jersey has 9 million people and 1 school, Pennsylvania 13 million and 2 schools. In the rest of the country, the ratio is about 4 million people per P5 school. In the northeast, we just have more local athletes to choose from. Yes, the northeast high school football scene is primitive so more development has to happen in college; but there are great athletes to be had here.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Look at a map. It's in Pennsylvania. I'm pretty sure most people consider Pennsylvania a northeastern state. Plug in "northeast U.S." into google. You might be shocked at what you find.
I consider "NE" New England tough guy, take a chill pill and relax wow.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Not New England, the northeast. He said "the NE" following up on my post about "the northeast".
I didn't see the "the" my bad. Thank you for your kinder response than the rude response I got from the other guy.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Penn State is in NE??
North east. Why narrow to New England anyway? NE is abbreviation for both, no? And "the New England" is not what he meant.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Not quite true.

Don't worry, I won't. The B12 doesn't sponsor any of those sports other than women's soccer. But thanks for your contribution to our board!

Reaction Score
Do tell about these atrocities. You mean the one case that actually happened on campus a.k.a. the dubious shower incident for which Sandusky was acquitted of the most serious charges? I live in NYC. I've seen plenty of people wearing Penn State gear and have those magnets and paw print stickers on their car along with PSU alumni license plates.

Ys, I'm referring to the one in which Sandusky was witnessed by an assistant coach doing something "sexual in nature" in the shower, naked with a young boy....and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING...I mean jack squat, was done to him for it.

Instead of being reported to the police, Penn State and Joe Paterno turned a blind eye, even bringing Sandusky along to a bowl game post incident.....thus allowing Sandusky to rape several other boys in the years that followed instead of being in jail in 2001 where he belonged.

I'm talking abut those atrocities if that wasn't clear enough for you.

Reaction Score
The Keystone State is both a northeastern and a Mid Atlantic state. Plug in "Midatlantic U.S." into google. You might be shocked at what you find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom