Logistics of Big XII Expansion: Unsportsmanlike Conduct | The Boneyard

Logistics of Big XII Expansion: Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Pretty good discussion on XII expansion from 1620 The Zone in Omaha. Like listening to their take on things since they are from that part of the country and bring a different perspective.

UConn specifically discussed from 11 minutes to 13 minutes but the whole thing is worth listening to:

Reaction Score
That was interesting on their view of the B-12 and Boren's "ultimatum"...but when it comes to UConn outside of acknowledging the NYC market and hoops..they are just like every uneducated B-12 fan on twitter with the exception that you can hear the sarcasm in their voices and actually hear them chuckle....

Reaction Score
Same reaction as we've heard from pretty much every Big 12 media member. They can't seem to say UConn without the heh heh heh heh hue heueheheu

No vision, these people.

Reaction Score
Actually UConn gets a mention from about 12-13 minutes, and if you take out the laugh at UConn time, there's not much worth listening to.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
People in Oklahoma say "Worshington"? I thought that was a Western PA / OH thing.

Reaction Score
They would have also laughed at half the Big Ten schools (as additions to the Big 12).

At least UConn is in the discussion.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I understand OU or Texas fans laughing at UConn. The rest of the conference, aside from KU probably, is just a collection of grandfathered G5 schools that are fortunate that the B12 has eluded the Big East fate. For now. And it grinds my gears to hear fans from those other 7 members laugh and scoff like their school could easily get into any P5 conference tomorrow.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I understand OU or Texas fans laughing at UConn. The rest of the conference, aside from KU probably, is just a collection of grandfathered G5 schools that are fortunate that the B12 has eluded the Big East fate. For now. And it grinds my gears to hear fans from those other 7 members laugh and scoff like their school could easily get into any P5 conference tomorrow.

Just to clarify these are sportscasters from Omaha so they're Nebraska centric

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Soooooo, the thought of UConn in the B12 is funny to these guys as all they bring is "just basketball" but the thought of Oklahoma and KANSAS joining their beloved B10 is absolutely titillating? How does that make any sense? If anything, Kansas as a whole brings less to the table than we do. At least UConn has an elite men's AND women's basketball program as well as an elite soccer program plus being very competitive in baseball as of late which is HUGE in the Big 12. In addition, it may not seem important in this "football is everything" world we live in but the fact of the matter is that UConn is a national leader in women's athletics. In a world of positive PR, political correctness, and most importantly TITLE IX, the expansion in the women's game UConn can offer definitely falls as a "plus" for our resume for the expansion committee.

Yet at the end of the day, that chuckle the host gave when he heard UConn's name is all that matters. Perception. If people don't take us seriously then I doubt a committee will, I hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
Soooooo, the thought of UConn in the B12 is funny to these guys as all they bring is "just basketball" but the thought of Oklahoma and KANSAS joining their beloved B10 is absolutely titillating? How does that make any sense? If anything, Kansas as a whole brings less to the table than we do. At least UConn has an elite men's AND women's basketball program as well as an elite soccer program plus being very competitive in baseball as of late which is HUGE in the Big 12. In addition, it may not seem important in this "football is everything" world we live in but the fact of the matter is that UConn is a national leader in women's athletics. In a world of positive PR, political correctness, and most importantly TITLE IX, the expansion in the women's game UConn can offer definitely falls as a "plus" for our resume for the expansion committee.

Yet at the end of the day, that chuckle the host gave when he heard UConn's name is all that matters. Perception. If people don't take us seriously then I doubt a committee will, I hope I'm wrong.
and does Kansas want to play in a more competitive league? i mean, if you take away some of those regular season titles, they are much less impressive. seriously, the last go around kansas was delegated to the mountain west. now, after years of accomplishing nothing, they are a P4 lock? i get they are aau. i get they can be a bridge to ou. i dont believe for one minute that if ou goes to the sec, that kansas is a lock for anything.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We'd likely be the equivalent to the B1G adding Rutgers. Everyone is left scratching their heads and fans are less then excited to see them on the schedule for ANY sport. However, the B1G gets their TV sets, the members get richer, and Rutgers gets a seat at the table. The only difference is that we'd only be a lower interest draw in football and that's it. Every other sport would be a big draw when they came to town. I could care less if every Big 12 fan hates us and pisses and moans all day if we are added. They'll all show up and cheer when our football team comes to town even if they think we're some laughing stock.

pj

Reaction Score
We'd likely be the equivalent to the B1G adding Rutgers. Everyone is left scratching their heads and fans are less then excited to see them on the schedule for ANY sport. However, the B1G gets their TV sets, the members get richer, and Rutgers gets a seat at the table. The only difference is that we'd only be a lower interest draw in football and that's it. Every other sport would be a big draw when they came to town. I could care less if every Big 12 fan hates us and pisses and moans all day if we are added. They'll all show up and cheer when our football team comes to town even if they think we're some laughing stock.

Yes, and if we managed to become competitive in football, all the gripes would go away. I don't think it's impossible for a northeast school to become a high-level football program.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Unlike Rutgers, we wouldn't finish in dead last in every single sport. Would we finish in dead last in football in some seasons? Sure, but not every season. I think we could become competitive in cyclical seasons once we are acclimated. We were competitive in the Big East and I'd expect us to be competitive in the B12 more often than not. Hoops would be in the top tier of the conference every season and a legitimate national championship threat in some seasons (unlike what they have now). Every other sport would likely be regionalized (Big East, Hockey East, etc).

Reaction Score
Unlike Rutgers, we wouldn't finish in dead last in every single sport. Would we finish in dead last in football in some seasons? Sure, but not every season. I think we could become competitive in cyclical seasons once we are acclimated. We were competitive in the Big East and I'd expect us to be competitive in the B12 more often than not. Hoops would be in the top tier of the conference every season and a legitimate national championship threat in some seasons (unlike what they have now). Every other sport would likely be regionalized (Big East, Hockey East, etc).
The goal of the football program if UConn got into the B-12 would be to win 7-9 games every year and be competitive in every game they play. The one thing that the B-12 would open us up for is the ability to recruit the athletes for the offensive line in addition to the other positions.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The goal of the football program if UConn got into the B-12 would be to win 7-9 games every year and be competitive in every game they play. The one thing that the B-12 would open us up for is the ability to recruit the athletes for the offensive line in addition to the other positions.

Agreed. We will probably never get to a national championship caliber program but we can absolutely bring a competitive, valued program to the table. We're a basketball school, no question about it. But what separates us from the rest of the basketball schools is that we have played .500 football since going FBS. With the exception of Louisville, no other hoops school can say that in the same time frame.

Reaction Score
Agreed. We will probably never get to a national championship caliber program but we can absolutely bring a competitive, valued program to the table. We're a basketball school, no question about it. But what separates us from the rest of the basketball schools is that we have played .500 football since going FBS. With the exception of Louisville, no other hoops school can say that in the same time frame.
Exactly....UL is a good thing to be like on the football field performance wise...you want to be the team that isn't a push over. The team that all fight you for 4 qtrs...and give teams like the OU's of the conference the competition they need to get it done should they reach the CFP. Maybe there is a year where the breaks all go UConn's way and they make the conference championship game...but a the end of the day if we are bowl eligible every year it will fill the stadium. That's what matters...

Reaction Score
Worthy goal; but if we step up with the big boys, given the strength of our academics, BB, and other sports, why can't we think NC?

Reaction Score
UCONN has a major perception issue. No one knows anything about us other than UCONN fans. In a package, we are easily the best candidate available. The only school that's close to us is BYU and they are in a different time zone. The only way to solve the football problem is to hav a winning football program. I don't know what will take to get us there, but we need to get there soon. Hopefully, it starts with next season.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it's been posted, stumbled across this today:

The Big 12's expansion wishlist may include UConn, which is less crazy than it sounds - SB Nation
https://apple.news/AAQZAJjZURKC53r78jIWEug

"It's clear that the president of one of the most influential schools in the Big 12 has prioritized making a network, so that could be very good news for UConn to be able to jump into a power conference. If TV ends up being the biggest factor, the Huskies are in great shape"

Edit this link might be better:
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ig-12-expansion-candidates-oklahoma-president

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I'd like to send that OKie guy a trophy for going to bat for us.

The perception of our football program needs to be changed ASAP. Seems like a lot of folks forget or are too ignorant to realize that we went to a BCS bowl and that we were the fastest rising team to join 1A. One bad coaching hire and here we are. We must have a great season in football this fall! Must!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom