Logistics of Big XII Expansion: Unsportsmanlike Conduct | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Logistics of Big XII Expansion: Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If UConn gets into the B1G or the XII somehow, I am going to grab a beer from the fridge and some popcorn and spend the night enjoying the meltdown in the Syracuse board.
You know what they'll say.

"Hurr durr soon the big 12 will fall apart and THEN they'll die on the vine! Hey guise cuse has a 2 game winning streak let's make a tee shirt."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have to say most Rutty fans I know would be happy to have UConn in the B1G. They are like the anti-BCU in that regard.

Reaction Score
The 500 people figure at the basketball game was proven false many times.but not surprised you wouldn't be smart enough to know that, based on the rest of the false statements you made.

You're right, it wasn't 500
http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball...9_as_six_players_score_in_double-figures.html
When Rutgers tipped off on Monday night, there were 266 people in the seats at the Rutgers Athletic Center. Ten of them were from the two teams that played in the first game of the night's doubleheader — Fairleigh Dickinson and Norfolk State — who sat for a few minutes eating a free post-game meal. Three were Rutgers athletic officials and four students sat doing there homework

It was however an unanticipated tournament game (second of 2 that night) shortly before Thanksgiving. I would also guess (hope) that students were on break and the roads were icy and the Ice Capades were in town

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I believe a strong performer in the region helps lift all surrounding programs. The SEC understand this concept...for every kid who goes to Alabama there is another 2 who go to Auburn or LSU to play against Alabama. If Rutgers had a real program it might bring some excitement to NE football which it currently does not have. But passed history tells me Rutgers will continue to falter.
I disagree with this and it's not a Rutgers problem. It's a CR problem. The NE has always been a pro market. I get that. However, as college football has grown in popularity, all the NE programs have been put in conferences where they will never play each other. On top of that, they are all petty and refuse to play each other OOC. This fact alone will forever prohibit the growth of interest in college football in the NE. Look at other regions. All the major schools play in the same conference and if they don't, they play each other annually. The Southeast is the area where this happens. Major programs there are either in the SEC or ACC. However, look at OOC games. Clemson plays SC, GTech plays Georgia, Florida plays FSU. That hatred and rivalry drives college football.

Now look at the NE. The majority of the schools played together in the Big East but ever since the first break away college football has grown in popularity. You now has Syracuse and BC in the ACC. Rutgers and PSU in the B1G, UConn and I guess to a lesser extent Temple playing in the AAC. None of those schools play each other OOC. BC just finally broke down and agreed to a series with us. If these schools were ever placed into the same conference or split just between two and the major ones played annual OOC games I think interest in college football would increase.

However, CR has totally ruined this and has left the NE forever absent from truly caring about local college football teams. It's further cemented it as a pro focused region.

Reaction Score
I agree with you completely, I think we are saying the same thing.

The charter NE schools are historically weaker in football (due to pro markets, less emphasis on HS football, etc...). Why does not really matter...they just are but that does not mean NE football should not be exciting. Unfortunately, the NE schools sold each other out without regards to how rivalries effect programs.

Syracuse, BC, and Rutgers are more exciting programs and benefits when they plays Uconn. By not playing Uconn and trying to kill Uconn's athletics they are hurting themselves. While other regions of the country may not care, for the fans in the NE, it is a big deal when the regional teams play. The fan bases of both teams attend the game and the excitement generated far exceeds the talent of the teams. This excitement translated into ticket sales,TV revenues, and money.

The "big" football schools know this and this is why they have fought so hard to preserve there historic rivalries. One of the main reasons the Big12 has stated for not expanding is they want to preserve yearly rivalries like Texas-Oklahoma.

When conference realignment first occurred plenty of team who are "hated rivals" fought to stay together (Uva/Va Tech, Okla/OSU, etc..) While some of that may be political, a large portion of it is the understanding the "big games" are as much about rivalries as rankings. Before this year Michigan football had been struggling but the OSU/Michigan fan base was still fired up to play the game.

As a Uconn fan I watch every Uconn football and basketball game. I cheer for my team but I do not feel the excitement like when Uconn was in the BE. Houston may be a better football than Syracuse but I'd still get more excited to play Syracuse. It not about ranking...it is more about shared history.

The proof is in the pudding and BC is the best example. BC used to have a very competitive sports program but it broke off its historic rivarlies and tried to go it alone. Now BCs sports program are a shell of their former self and most teams in the ACC have no particular passion when they play BC. My predication is when Uconn-BC play in football it will be one of the best attended games of the years for both BC/Uconn. Neither team may be ranked but it will be the game both fan bases circle on their calendar.

It is just sad the NE schools sold their identify for a few extra bucks...

Reaction Score
I agree with you completely, I think we are saying the same thing.

The charter NE schools are historically weaker in football (due to pro markets, less emphasis on HS football, etc...). Why does not really matter...they just are but that does not mean NE football should not be exciting. Unfortunately, the NE schools sold each other out without regards to how rivalries effect programs.

Syracuse, BC, and Rutgers are more exciting programs and benefits when they plays Uconn. By not playing Uconn and trying to kill Uconn's athletics they are hurting themselves. While other regions of the country may not care, for the fans in the NE, it is a big deal when the regional teams play. The fan bases of both teams attend the game and the excitement generated far exceeds the talent of the teams. This excitement translated into ticket sales,TV revenues, and money.

The "big" football schools know this and this is why they have fought so hard to preserve there historic rivalries. One of the main reasons the Big12 has stated for not expanding is they want to preserve yearly rivalries like Texas-Oklahoma.

When conference realignment first occurred plenty of team who are "hated rivals" fought to stay together (Uva/Va Tech, Okla/OSU, etc..) While some of that may be political, a large portion of it is the understanding the "big games" are as much about rivalries as rankings. Before this year Michigan football had been struggling but the OSU/Michigan fan base was still fired up to play the game.

As a Uconn fan I watch every Uconn football and basketball game. I cheer for my team but I do not feel the excitement like when Uconn was in the BE. Houston may be a better football than Syracuse but I'd still get more excited to play Syracuse. It not about ranking...it is more about shared history.

The proof is in the pudding and BC is the best example. BC used to have a very competitive sports program but it broke off its historic rivarlies and tried to go it alone. Now BCs sports program are a shell of their former self and most teams in the ACC have no particular passion when they play BC. My predication is when Uconn-BC play in football it will be one of the best attended games of the years for both BC/Uconn. Neither team may be ranked but it will be the game both fan bases circle on their calendar.

It is just sad the NE schools sold their identify for a few extra bucks...
BC doesn't have to look vary far to see a PERFECT example of this. The shining star of their athletic department is the men's hockey program...they have a very good attendance avg and GREAT rivalries. Funny thing...they are all local, and regional...except for ND.

Reaction Score
BC doesn't have to look vary far to see a PERFECT example of this. The shining star of their athletic department is the men's hockey program...they have a very good attendance avg and GREAT rivalries. Funny thing...they are all local, and regional...except for ND.
So if history is any indication, BC will look for and accept a B1G Hockey invitation and immediately plummet into irrelevance...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom