Locks and bubble teams by conference | The Boneyard

Locks and bubble teams by conference

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Thursday and Friday will be make-or-break days for a lot of bubble teams in the power 5 conferences. "Locks" are teams that should be safe on selection day regardless of what happens in their conference tournament. Then I take a look at teams whose tournament aspirations could hinge on what happens in the next 2 or 3 days.

Locks (28 total)
ACC (6): Louisville, Notre Dame, Florida St, Duke, NC State, Syracuse
Big 12 (2): Baylor, Texas
Big Ten (3): Ohio State, Maryland, Iowa
Pac-12 (4): Oregon, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon St
SEC (7): Mississippi St, South Carolina, Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia, Texas A&M, LSU
AAC (2): UConn, South Florida
Big East (3): DePaul, Marquette, Villanova
Horizon (1): Green Bay

Bubble teams (RPI ranking in parentheses)
ACC (4): Virginia (35), Miami (49), Georgia Tech (62), Virginia Tech (74)
Big 12 (4): Oklahoma (30), Oklahoma St (51), West Virginia (65), TCU (78)
Big Ten (7): Michigan (38), Rutgers (42), Minnesota (46), Indiana (54), Purdue (55), Michigan St (61), Nebraska (63)
Pac-12 (3): Cal (39), USC (45), Arizona St (57)
SEC: none
AAC (1): UCF (44)
Big East (2): Creighton (50), St. John's (69)
MAC (3): Buffalo (16), Central Michigan (23), Ball St (36)
Summit (2): South Dakota St (34), South Dakota (59)
Others: Dayton, A-10 (31); Princeton, Ivy (32); Northern Colorado, Big Sky (37); Gonzaga, WCC (40); Quinnipiac, MAAC (41); Western Kentucky, C-USA (43); FGCU, A-Sun (52)

Notes:
  • If the teams listed as "locks" account for the conference tournament champions of those 8 conferences, that would leave 12 at-large bids for the bubble teams.
  • I believe that the safest among the bubble teams are Michigan, Miami, Cal, and Arizona St.
  • At the other end, teams like Virginia Tech, TCU, St. John's, and UCF would probably have to reach the final of their conference tournament to have any hope of an at-large bid.
  • The teams listed in "Others" would have only a faint hope of an at-large bid if they fail to win their conference tournament.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Surprised that you listed Miami as a bubble team. I think they are a lock... but Ive been wrong before. Looked at their schedule... and they have one bad loss (Wake), and a horrible loss @ Colorado. Perhaps it was the elevation :rolleyes:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I too think Miami is in the tourney. 10-6 in the nations #1 RPI league. They get that rematch with Wake Forest today in the ACCT.

Reaction Score
3 big east teams as locks?
Also don't know about Green Bay. Wins over Marquette and Arizona st but also 2 terrible losses.they need to win their tourney imho.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'd like to see UCF make a run and get in. I would think that means making it to the AAC Championship game.

Get three AC teams in would be a big plus and a huge boost to UCF's program.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'd like to see UCF make a run and get in. I would think that means making it to the AAC Championship game.

Get three AC teams in would be a big plus and a huge boost to UCF's program.
I laud your conference enthusiasm but unless they win the AAC they are not getting an invite. Look at their schedule-not good. They are ranked 64th by Massey and have a 75 SoS. Better luck next year.

Plebe

Reaction Score
3 big east teams as locks?
Also don't know about Green Bay. Wins over Marquette and Arizona st but also 2 terrible losses.they need to win their tourney imho.
Do you think Villanova isn’t a lock? Or Marquette or DePaul?

I think Green Bay is currently between 23 and 28 in the committee’s ranking. I doubt they’ll drop below 42 even with a loss. They have other top 50 wins in addition to Arizona State and Marquette.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Plebe has done his usual, very well thought out analysis on his view, along with very pertinent facts/rankings on the potential field. I have my own quibbles on who is a lock or not a lock but as a whole, the complete list is here. The P5, Big East, AAC and maybe the Mid-American conferences are the only ones warranting 2 bids. Depending how the P5 tournaments play out or if Belmont and/or Green Bay don't win, they have the edge on Villanova (on the bubble with their 40ish rank). They are in the conversation.
His point on the tournament games in the p5 is salient especially for Rutgers, Virginia and as I type Syracuse is losing to VT. I still think Syracuse is in.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Surprised that you listed Miami as a bubble team. I think they are a lock... but Ive been wrong before. Looked at their schedule... and they have one bad loss (Wake), and a horrible loss @ Colorado. Perhaps it was the elevation :rolleyes:
When I visited Miami I got elevated and stayed that way the entire cocktailed visit.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Purdue looks to be NIT bound as well as they lost to Rutgers by 2. Rutgers lives to fight another day! Syracuse with a brutal loss to VA Tech - tech was 6-10 in the ACC so I can't see how they make the NCAA's unless they win their conference tourney, and the loss should hurt Syracuse's seeding in the NCAA's...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Any outside shot Utah had disappeared today with a loss to Colorado.

Weird series between those 2. Utah finished 3 games ahead of Colorado. They split the regular season series, each winning on the road. Colorado gets the rubber match. The Utes were clearly a better team it seems to me but apparently had a hard team beating the Buffs.

Sorta related, apparently Washington took Anigwe out of the game, built a double digit 3rd quarter lead against Cal, but couldn't hang on. 71-68 Bears. Asha Thomas led them w/ 22. Melgoza scored 30 for the Huskies. If there is a better player stuck on a worse team anywhere in the country, I'd be curious to hear about it. She's been awesome this year. Finished #2 in the conference in total scoring, but led everybody in scoring in conference games. This after averaging about 2 points and less than 10 minutes per game as a Fr. Who saw this coming from her?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Purdue looks to be NIT bound as well as they lost to Rutgers by 2. Rutgers lives to fight another day! Syracuse with a brutal loss to VA Tech - tech was 6-10 in the ACC so I can't see how they make the NCAA's unless they win their conference tourney, and the loss should hurt Syracuse's seeding in the NCAA's...

Rutgers would have been sweating bullets if they'd lost today. But with this win they are pretty close to a lock. They saw their lead disappear in the 4th quarter and then just hung on for the win on Tyler Scaife's game-winning shot with 0:04 left.

Purdue? Wouldn't want to be them right now. They do have quality wins over Maryland, Iowa, Michigan, Rutgers, and Central Michigan. But they have *so many* losses to teams outside the top 50, going 4-6 against teams in the 51-100 range.

Syracuse will still make the tournament but they could fall into the dreaded 8-9 slot again. Would the committee send them to Storrs for the 2nd year in a row?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Virginia gets a critical win over Georgia Tech but I think they're still a bubble team. Only 2 top-50 wins, over NC State and Syracuse.

Indiana and Michigan State are headed to overtime. Both of these teams are fighting for their bubble lives.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Quadruple overtime win for Indiana over Michigan State, 111-109. Brutal.

Both teams still are in the running for an at-large but on thin ice. Indiana's chances are slightly better, having won 9 of their last 10.

Michigan State's position is very tenuous: RPI in low 60s but they do have wins over South Florida, Maryland, and Michigan, and they have no losses outside the top 100.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
USC avoids a bad loss, nudges Washington St. 47-44. Meets Stanford tomorrow.

Plebe

Reaction Score
USC avoids a bad loss, nudges Washington St. 47-44. Meets Stanford tomorrow.
I’d say this is likely enough to put USC in the tournament. A loss could have been disastrous.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Arizona St. is cruising, up 20 vs. Arizona nearing the end of the third quarter. Only game of the day that wasn't fairly close.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I believe that four teams can be moved to "lock" status after winning today:
  • Michigan, after crushing Penn State
  • Miami, after beating Wake Forest
  • Cal, after squeaking by Washington
  • Arizona State, assuming they hang on to their comfortable lead over Arizona
That leaves only 8 available at-large bids, IMO. Slim pickings for a whole slew of bubble teams. The Big Ten alone has six of them.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Minnesota gets a one-point win over Iowa today, putting them very close to lock status for an at-large bid.

Megan Gustafson of Iowa set a Big Ten tournament record with 48 points, in the losing effort.

Reaction Score
Minnesota gets a one-point win over Iowa today, putting them very close to lock status for an at-large bid.

That'd be very crazy if they didn't make it. So far they've won 3 out of 5 games against your Big Ten locks.

Plebe

Reaction Score
That'd be very crazy if they didn't make it. So far they've won 3 out of 5 games against your Big Ten locks.
Minnesota is now 23-7. Through the first 20 games of the season, they were 15-5 after playing an *abysmal* nonconference schedule and taking losses to North Carolina and (ahem) San Diego. And their only top-100 wins at that point were over Michigan State and UNLV. There was not even a hint that they'd be anywhere near the bubble.

Since then, however, they've gone 8-2 against their backloaded Big Ten schedule, including wins over Iowa (twice now), Maryland, Michigan, and Purdue.

Minnesota is probably the most improved team in the country since the early part of the season.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom