Local prep coaches weigh in on UConn's status in recruiting world | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Local prep coaches weigh in on UConn's status in recruiting world

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It is my understanding from a friend that works in managing the state retirement system that his time from 1988-1993 does not count towards him becoming vested because he was gone for that period of time because of the plan he was enrolled in during his 1st stint He needs 10 years to be vested so only his time from when he returned counts. Bummer if you are him....
Sounds like he is saying that the break in service time was too long and that plan is no longer.

C

Chief00

It is my understanding from a friend that works in managing the state retirement system that his time from 1988-1993 does not count towards him becoming vested because he was gone for that period of time because of the plan he was enrolled in during his 1st stint He needs 10 years to be vested so only his time from when he returned counts. Bummer if you are him....
The rumor was they offered him a non coaching job - is that not true?

Reaction Score
The rumor was they offered him a non coaching job - is that not true?

To my knowledge that kind of offer was not made, he received a several month severance package that would count towards his service. I do know that he has made some inquires on his own.

Reaction Score
If only his 2010-17 service counts and he needs 10 years, he would have been at least 2 years away from vesting, no?

that is correct......

Reaction Score
If your job is college basketball assistant coach and your plan is to qualify for a state pension that requires 10 years to vest, your plan is bad.

The issue with being vested in this case is not so much retirement/pension, he has been enrolled in an alternative retirement plan that is more of an annuity regarding pension payout; being vested brings with it the health care benefits that are not attached to the alternative retirement plans that folks in the coaching profession have. Getting the 10 years would have locked in some health care benefits.

Reaction Score
Article quoted one guy I don't trust (Quinn) and referenced another guy I don't trust as far as UConn is concerned (Miller). It basically confirmed what I heard about Miller back stabbing UConn with MAL after getting fired. There's a reason this dude did not get a job. It's human nature to want to trash your former employer or boss after getting fired but it seldom helps in the effort to land a new job. Glen Miller has really hurt himself in that regard. His tantrum after being fired is not professional and his entitlement outlook and inability to look at recent results objectively don't serve the dude well.

Where did you hear about Miller's tantrum? Seems really odd. Entitlement outlook and inability to look at recent results.
Did you think KO was the associate head coach? That is quite the indictment of Miller.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Article quoted one guy I don't trust (Quinn) and referenced another guy I don't trust as far as UConn is concerned (Miller). It basically confirmed what I heard about Miller back stabbing UConn with MAL after getting fired. There's a reason this dude did not get a job. It's human nature to want to trash your former employer or boss after getting fired but it seldom helps in the effort to land a new job. Glen Miller has really hurt himself in that regard. His tantrum after being fired is not professional and his entitlement outlook and inability to look at recent results objectively don't serve the dude well.

They really screwed Miller first, with the way they handled this. I can understand his reaction. Tough to get a job that late anyway, if you aren't an current HC and/or bringing a stud recruit with you a la Romar and Porter Sr.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If you go bac a few years further you can add 3-4 others from C-USA (Marquette Memphis, Louisville) and the Colonial (George F#^*%ing Mason).

You really would of done better to leave that one out. Costed you 1 like.

Reaction Score
We need HS coaches to explain to us why the AAC is a problem recruiting in to vs power 5? The unexplained part is why kids with big PT looming packed their bags. Is that a KO problem? I fully understand players leaving or considering it because of a threat to their minutes.

Reaction Score
We need HS coaches to explain to us why the AAC is a problem recruiting in to vs power 5? The unexplained part is why kids with big PT looming packed their bags. Is that a KO problem? I fully understand players leaving or considering it because of a threat to their minutes.

A couple of HS coaches have told me that to some kids, going to a weaker P5 team is attractive because of who they get to play against as compared to the conference schedule in the AAC. Playing against some of the P5 teams twice a year compared to playing some of the AAC teams twice a year; potential national television and then there's ego thing....

C

Chief00

They really screwed Miller first, with the way they handled this. I can understand his reaction. Tough to get a job that late anyway, if you aren't an current HC and/or bringing a stud recruit with you a la Romar and Porter Sr.

My understanding is KO dropped the hammer the day after their last game. He couldn't have done it sooner. Miller was the one who requested they keep it quiet until after the coaches conference.

C

Chief00

Where did you hear about Miller's tantrum? Seems really odd. Entitlement outlook and inability to look at recent results.
Did you think KO was the associate head coach? That is quite the indictment of Miller.
Glen has not come to terms with how his Bigs coaching, recruiting and gimmick zones had poor results. I think he scouts well and Jim says he's good with X's and O's. I will fault KO for putting him in the wrong roles but the dude made $350k a years - stop whining about what a bad dude KO is for expecting results for that money. Also, this retirement stuff is garbage - it's big time college athletics not some state bureaucratic position - KO will be fired if he drops the ball this season - should we keep him on so he can earn pension credits?

KO gave him time to find a job without announcing it but all Miller time did was trash Ollie - and MAL is exhibit A regarding the damage it did.

Reaction Score
A couple of HS coaches have told me that to some kids, going to a weaker P5 team is attractive because of who they get to play against as compared to the conference schedule in the AAC. Playing against some of the P5 teams twice a year compared to playing some of the AAC teams twice a year; potential national television and then there's ego thing....

Well, the national television thing is off. Go to NC State, be on national TV 5 times a year, as opposed to UConn, which is on 3x as much.

Reaction Score
Glen has not come to terms with how his Bigs coaching, recruiting and gimmick zones had poor results. I think he scouts well and Jim says he's good with X's and O's. I will fault KO for putting him in the wrong roles but the dude made $350k a years - stop whining about what a bad dude KO is for expecting results for that money. Also, this retirement stuff is garbage - it's big time college athletics not some state bureaucratic position - KO will be fired if he drops the ball this season - should we keep him on so he can earn pension credits?

KO gave him time to find a job without announcing it but all Miller time did was trash Ollie - and MAL is exhibit A regarding the damage it did.

For some reason you have a long history of being vindictive towards Miller. Your narrative is always false. The gimmick zones you continuously refer to weren't Miller's they were the decision of the HC who gets paid $7,000 dollars per day. Furthermore, Miller did not make $350k and he was not the reason for players leaving the program. Miller worked for the program for 14 years beginning in 1986, Jim Calhoun's 1st season. He was always well respected, unassuming, and hard working. He contributed much to the success of the program over the years. Wether you agree or disagree with Ollie's decision to make staff changes Miller's situation was terribly mishandled. You are a real chump to keep carrying on.

C

Chief00

For some reason you have a long history of being vindictive towards Miller. Your narrative is always false. The gimmick zones you continuously refer to weren't Miller's they were the decision of the HC who gets paid $7,000 dollars per day. Furthermore, Miller did not make $350k and he was not the reason for players leaving the program. Miller worked for the program for 14 years beginning in 1986, Jim Calhoun's 1st season. He was always well respected, unassuming, and hard working. He contributed much to the success of the program over the years. Wether you agree or disagree with Ollie's decision to make staff changes Miller's situation was terribly mishandled. You are a real chump to keep carrying on.

I know Glen is a local guy so I get the blind loyalty thing and I may have confused Glen's compensation with Chils but even in 2014 he made $200k and got bumped up from there after they won the NC. Glen and Danny Griffin salaries roughly were eliminated to pay for Chil. Danny made around $90k.
The point is he made a lot of money - he wasn't in a civil service type bureaucratic job - when you make a lot you need to expect if results get bad your neck is on the line. KO should have that same expectation. Neither should whine about it.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/7321933/

Reaction Score

Chief you get paid zero by UConn and you haven't come to terms that our "bigs" weren't very good at all while also not having the IQ required to learn the game through any "bigs coach" in the world. Never was on Glen Miller in this regard.

You're fired! You've lost you're weekly "Chiefs Briefs" show on the BY. goblue2220 now has the option to take over the show if he/she so wishes.

pj

Reaction Score
I thought Chief's Briefs was just on summer break? Because the casual fans take the summer off.

C

Chief00

Chief you get paid zero by UConn and you haven't come to terms that our "bigs" weren't very good at all while also not having the IQ required to learn the game through any "bigs coach" in the world. Never was on Glen Miller in this regard.

You're fired! You've lost you're weekly "Chiefs Briefs" show on the BY. goblue2220 now has the option to take over the show if he/she so wishes.

You can't fire me, I need to finish my BY pension/healthcare credits. LOL
Quite frankly, if the poor performance of our Bigs isn't on our point recruiter or Bigs Coach who both happened to be Miller - I am not sure where to go on that? Of course, as CEO KO owns the problem too.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

What are you talking about? When do you think coaches get fired?

They get fired at the end of the season. And they get hired at the end of the season.

The fact that Miller doesn't have a job is on him.

Reaction Score
You can't fire me, I need to finish my BY pension/healthcare credits. LOL
Quite frankly, if the poor performance of our Bigs isn't on our point recruiter or Bigs Coach who both happened to be Miller - I am not sure where to go on that? Of course, as CEO KO owns the problem too.

Need we go there again? I mean just say Brimah, done! Simple

But you can finish we owe you that Chief.;)

C

Chief00

Need we go there again? I mean just say Brimah, done! Simple

But you can finish we owe you that Chief.;)
Watching Miller try to teach Brimah Akeem The Dream complex post moves in practices always indicated to me without Calhoun's guidance Miller was toast. With Brimah he should have kept it simple and basic. Jim would have told him that. I never saw Brimah use any of The Dream's post moves in a game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? When do you think coaches get fired?

They get fired at the end of the season. And they get hired at the end of the season.

The fact that Miller doesn't have a job is on him.

That's true, I concede that. I guess I was thinking about the scenario where he reportedly asked them to wait to release the news until after the Final Four (where all coaches attend), so he could look for a job without the 'black mark' of being fired. They agreed, and then went back on their word. I've no idea if that actually impacted his prospects or not.

Reaction Score
Bingo.

The AAC being an issue for recruiting isn't a revelation to anyone on here.

But it doesn't explain the player departures this offseason, and it really doesn't explain why UConn hasn't been competing at the top of conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom