Local prep coaches weigh in on UConn's status in recruiting world | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Local prep coaches weigh in on UConn's status in recruiting world

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He was responding to free scooter though. I can't imagine anyone could disgrace themselves responding to freescooter.
Not sure who you are responding to upstate but its obviously someone I have on ignore!

Reaction Score
Updated:

Makes me wonder if every UConn staff is going to be criticized every time a Connecticut kid goes elsewhere. But hey, it comes with the territory. After all it happened to Calhoun.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just so you know, every time you stop and post on this board a kid runs across your lawn.
Thanks for the warning
Have a great night my friend

Reaction Score
can you explain? genuinely don't know what you mean. thanks

Losing your own players is worse than losing recruits. UConn has a long history of losing out on recruits and ending up with players who were just as good. If losing Tremont Waters means they land Jalen Carey, no one will remember any of this. Losing your players with promise is a bigger problem, of course; but it also happened to Calhoun, with Curtis Kelly and Roscoe and Alex Oriakhi etc.

Reaction Score
This article is silly. We landed a top 10 class just a year ago. If we were winning, the idea of this article would be absurd. The conference makes things more difficult but our program has enough to be very appealing to recruits. If there is a problem (which there sure seems to be and hopefully we are moving past that), it is with KO and not with UCONN. An article detailing what is really going on behind the scenes would be much more insightful.

Reaction Score
An article detailing what is really going on behind the scenes would be much more insightful.

That would be a bad idea.

I'm sure the reporters know what's going on. There is no reason for them to report on it. The only time we'll hear of it in the media is if Ollie leaves or is fired.

Reaction Score
That would be a bad idea.

I'm sure the reporters know what's going on. There is no reason for them to report on it. The only time we'll hear of it in the media is if Ollie leaves or is fired.

It would be much more damaging, for sure. I just think this article is a waste of time for people looking for answers.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If the 3 guys who missed most or all of last year are as a good as advertised, a year from now this article will sound silly.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It's been widely reported that KO has been closed off to his assistants and others around the program, even to the point where he and JC don't talk.

Links please, links to all these "widely reported" news sources.

PS: Boneyard posts don't count as "widely reported", neither does one opinion piece merely speculating

Reaction Score
On Vital:

"Quinn coached current UConn rising sophomore Christian Vital at St. Thomas More and consoled him back in April, when it still appeared UConn was bringing in Ashton-Langford and had its eyes on a transfer guard from Washington. Vital considered transferring at the time.

“He wants to be there,” said Quinn. “He wants to be loved, and he wants to play. He’s the easiest kid in the world.”"

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
On Vital:

"Quinn coached current UConn rising sophomore Christian Vital at St. Thomas More and consoled him back in April, when it still appeared UConn was bringing in Ashton-Langford and had its eyes on a transfer guard from Washington. Vital considered transferring at the time.

“He wants to be there,” said Quinn. “He wants to be loved, and he wants to play. He’s the easiest kid in the world.”"
We called Davis, guessing we might've decided he wasn't worth losing Vital.

C

Chief00

Article quoted one guy I don't trust (Quinn) and referenced another guy I don't trust as far as UConn is concerned (Miller). It basically confirmed what I heard about Miller back stabbing UConn with MAL after getting fired. There's a reason this dude did not get a job. It's human nature to want to trash your former employer or boss after getting fired but it seldom helps in the effort to land a new job. Glen Miller has really hurt himself in that regard. His tantrum after being fired is not professional and his entitlement outlook and inability to look at recent results objectively don't serve the dude well.

Reaction Score
I like Coach Hart, wished it was that easy with the league but while I dislike Quinn he is somewhat right about the league. (he is still a crappy coach, overrated)

Good read though.

LoveMeSomeUC

"My point being" James A. Calhoun
Reaction Score
Article quoted one guy I don't trust (Quinn) and referenced another guy I don't trust as far as UConn is concerned (Miller). It basically confirmed what I heard about Miller back stabbing UConn with MAL after getting fired. There's a reason this dude did not get a job. It's human nature to want to trash your former employer or boss after getting fired but it seldom helps in the effort to land a new job. Glen Miller has really hurt himself in that regard. His tantrum after being fired is not professional and his entitlement outlook and inability to look at recent results objectively don't serve the dude well.
Miller was days away from getting his pention from the state before KO fired him in April. It is the reason why Calhoun reacted the way he did after KO let him go. The MAL thing is small stuff. I'd be shocked if Miller doesnt sue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Miller was days away from getting his pention from the state before KO fired him in April. It is the reason why Calhoun reacted the way he did after KO let him go. The MAL thing is small stuff. I'd be shocked if Miller doesnt sue.

How did JC react? I've never seen anything.

Reaction Score
How did JC react? I've never seen anything.

It's a strange story too since almost all colleges today run pensions similar to 401ks or 403bs. This is true of about a dozen state universities that I know of. It is usually 10% of salary with the employee contributing an amount (3-5% of salary) for the first 10 years before being vested (employer contributes full amount). But this is only while you are employed there. UConn might be running things the old school way.

Reaction Score
You're responding to a poster who was so disappointed when UConn won the 2014 NC that he never bothered to come back and post on this board from early March of 2014 until the Wagner loss.

"Since 2010 there have been teams from lesser leagues..."

Since 2010 there has only been one team from a mid major that won the NC. One team. And free hated it when it happened.
For an English major it is interesting that you didn't read what I wrote. Of course I've become used to you misquoting so no surprise. I said there have been teams from lesser leagues in the Final Four and the title game. Butler went twice (2010, 2011) Gonzaga once (2017) and VCU (2011) went to the Final Four as did Wichita State (2013). If you go bac a few years further you can add 3-4 others from C-USA (Marquette Memphis, Louisville) and the Colonial (George F#^*%ing Mason).

Reaction Score
For an English major it is interesting that you didn't read what I wrote. Of course I've become used to you misquoting so no surprise. I said there have been teams from lesser leagues in the Final Four and the title game. Butler went twice (2010, 2011) Gonzaga once (2017) and VCU (2011) went to the Final Four as did Wichita State (2013). If you go bac a few years further you can add 3-4 others from C-USA (Marquette Memphis, Louisville) and the Colonial (George F#^*%ing Mason).

In the context of disparaging Ollie, that is a nonsense quote, seeing as Ollie is the only coach to lead his team to a national championship for the non-P6 conferences.

Here's your whole quote: "Since 2010 there have been teams in the final four--heck in the Final game--from supposed lesser leagues half the time. So claiming it can't be done is nothing but a cop out. It is an excuse, not a reason for UConn's decline. The reasons are that we have a mediocre head coach who is not a great recruiter."

You're actually bagging on Ollie for not being able to do (since 2010, as you wrote) what a bunch of teams have done.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
From my distillation of the quotes it was basically UConn is still a huge brand that should be able to continue to recruit well. That KO is still held in high regard. That UConn has two asst. coaches who are well regarded for their recruiting ability. AND that the AAC is the biggest drag when it comes to recruiting. One is true, hopefully 2 and 3 are true and 4 is definitely true. I didn't find much to be offended about in that article. Yes, we lost MAL but the double whammy of Miller being fired and CV emerging MAL's decision makes more sense. And the Waters situation, considering all the drama I'm not sure if that is a loss for UConn. I certainly don't consider it a recruiting black eye. Some kids dream of playing for their state school and others want to get away. It happens everywhere. And everywhere people p--- and moan about it.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Surely there must be some work at Uconn that Miller can do other than BB that would qualify him for the little time he allegedly needs. Also, he was an assistant from 1988-1993 and asst. head coach from 2010 to 2017. How many freakin' years do you have to work their to qualify for a pension?

Reaction Score
Surely there must be some work at UConn that Miller can do other than BB that would qualify him for the little time he allegedly needs. Also, he was an assistant from 1988-1993 and asst. head coach from 2010 to 2017. How many freakin' years do you have to work their to qualify for a pension?

It is my understanding from a friend that works in managing the state retirement system that his time from 1988-1993 does not count towards him becoming vested because he was gone for that period of time because of the plan he was enrolled in during his 1st stint He needs 10 years to be vested so only his time from when he returned counts. Bummer if you are him....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom