Lobster Roll in CT | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Lobster Roll in CT

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Lobster landing kind of day for lunch today...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Went to Liv’s Shack Westbrook location tonight, where Boom used to be. Great location; had a couple really nice meals at Boom so we were bummed to hear that it closed, but psyched when Liv’s moved in. Apparently next summer they will have a full service bar and be similar to Bill’s Seafood. I will definitely try to get there at least one more time while they are BYOB because everything was excellent and we love the value in bringing our own booze.

The 4 oz. lobster rolls were loaded with large pieces of impeccable claw meat. Much different than Lobster Landing, which has mostly knuckle meat. Claw meat can be tricky because the lobster has to be really fresh or else it gets rubbery; this was perfect. I would rate it at a tie for third with Johnny Ad’s; Lobster Landing and Ford’s are still tied at 1 and 1A for me.

Fried calamari, New England clam chowder and fries were all also very good.

Bonus points for t-shirt that says (in words and images) “No Mayo; Lobster + butter; How Connecticut Rolls”

Of course I bought one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Connecticut: Hot Lobster Roll, Abbott’s Lobster in the Rough (Noank)

Steaming lobsters and other shellfish since 1947, Abbott’s is one of America’s best seafood shacks, turning out stellar lobster rolls in a handful of increasing sizes. Its Famous Hot Lobster Roll comes with a quarter-pound of butter-soaked lobster on a toasted bun. The OMG Hot Lobster Roll boasts almost a half-pound, while the LOL Hot Lobster Roll packs in a full pound of lobster.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Connecticut: Hot Lobster Roll, Abbott’s Lobster in the Rough (Noank)

Steaming lobsters and other shellfish since 1947, Abbott’s is one of America’s best seafood shacks, turning out stellar lobster rolls in a handful of increasing sizes. Its Famous Hot Lobster Roll comes with a quarter-pound of butter-soaked lobster on a toasted bun. The OMG Hot Lobster Roll boasts almost a half-pound, while the LOL Hot Lobster Roll packs in a full pound of lobster.

Third best imo. Lobster Landing and Ford’s tied for first.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Third best imo. Lobster Landing and Ford’s tied for first.

agreed but only if you upgrade off the hamburger bun. Had Fords roll again last week. It is right there with LL

Curiouser
Reaction Score
agreed but only if you upgrade off the hamburger bun. Had Fords roll again last week. It is right there with LL
Absolutely. Using a hamburger bun is almost as ridiculous as using mayo.

Ford's might win out over LL if it was closer to me.

August_West

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Using a hamburger bun is almost as ridiculous as using mayo.

Ford's might win out over LL if it was closer to me.

that was only the 2nd time Ive had the roll there. Its only about 20 min from me Ive been there quite a bit in last year. But their whole menu is stunning and usually someone Im with gets the bomb and I always end up getting at least a 3rd of it so it allows me to expolre the rest of menu and still get the fix. But last week was a work dinner and the guy from michigan got and finished a bomb and I thought he might so I went for a roll. It really is right there with LL for sure.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
that was only the 2nd time Ive had the roll there. Its only about 20 min from me Ive been there quite a bit in last year. But their whole menu is stunning and usually someone Im with gets the bomb and I always end up getting at least a 3rd of it so it allows me to expolre the rest of menu and still get the fix. But last week was a work dinner and the guy from michigan got and finished a bomb and I thought he might so I went for a roll. It really is right there with LL for sure.
I've only been there twice so far; would have been more but it's an absolute show in the summer and I won't go near the place unless it's extremely off-peak hours. The parking and driving in that area is insane when crowded. Agree there are a lot of great choices on that menu, but in my case everyone else orders something other than the lobster roll, so I get to sample the other stuff and get the regular lobster roll to myself. Like LL, I think their regular lobster roll is damn close perfection so I don't like to mess with it.

August_West

Reaction Score
but it's an absolute show in the summer

it is absolutely crazy in the summer, but on a nice afternoon I dont mind it. Ive easily done a 2.5 hour wait there. Pro tip there is a little beach and dock in between fords and abbots on that harbor. I take some tequila nips and a beer or two and sit on rocks and enjoy the view. the time flies by before you know you have a buzz and get a text saying your table is ready, and bring the rest of the beer wine or whatever to the table. Love that.

Reaction Score
Made it up and back from Portland, Maine, for a work last week before things really began to close-down. So, I hit High Roller in Old Port for a lobster roll. I wish there was a bit more lobster meat (then again, I would say the same if it had 2 lbs); but, it was fresh and the light touch of jalapeno mayo on it was a refreshing twist.
2020 Winter - Portland, High Roller lobster roll.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I had the lobster roll at Shell & Bones in New Haven for lunch on Friday. Overpriced at $30 imo (although that included a side of Old Bay fries that were decent, but unnecessary).

Decent roll; seemed like a potato roll in the shape of a short, deep hot dog roll. Huge chunks of nicely buttered lobster, mostly claw meat.

Would not get again given the price/value, but it was good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oh man I need that shirt!
I bought their last XL last year. It was soiled because it was the display so they gave it to me for half price ($10). Put it in the wash and the stain came out. Deal! One of my favorite shirts now.

August_West

Reaction Score
I bought their last XL last year. It was soiled because it was the display so they gave it to me for half price ($10). Put it in the wash and the stain came out. Deal! One of my favorite shirts now.
from where?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
from where?
Liv's Shack, Westbrook. Where Boom used to be. They opened up mid-season last year and had a limited menu, but they had lobster rolls and chowder, which is all we needed. It was BYOB last season and that setting is A+. Unfortunately they plan to have a full bar next season, so the BYOB is done.

Reaction Score
Having worked in Westbrook, I couldn't figure out where this place is. I looked at the map and seeing that it looks like it is tucked in with the Pilots Point Marina. Is that where it is?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Having worked in Westbrook, I couldn't figure out where this place is. I looked at the map and seeing that it looks like it is tucked in with the Pilots Point Marina. Is that where it is?
It's after bills and before haywire on opposite side of street
thanks..It has been awhile since i was last in Westbrook.
Yes, Liv's Shack is tucked in Pilot's Point. Literally right on the dock. You can enter either entrance to Pilot's Point to get there, but @methodology 's entrance is closer to the restaurant.

August_West

Reaction Score
I had the lobster roll at Shell & Bones in New Haven for lunch on Friday. Overpriced at $30 imo (although that included a side of Old Bay fries that were decent, but unnecessary).

Decent roll; seemed like a potato roll in the shape of a short, deep hot dog roll. Huge chunks of nicely buttered lobster, mostly claw meat.

Would not get again given the price/value, but it was good.
Its a bad time for fresh seafood supply chain. Youre gonna pay.

Ive been crushing a seafood chowder in Niantic at Vincitori's routinely for last 9 months:

Norm's Seafood Chowder
our secret recipe using clams, scallops, shrimp and lobster!

went for it yesterday. They said off menu for the forseeable future.

Real decent Pizza there too btw.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Ive been crushing a seafood chowder in Niantic at Vincitori's routinely for last 9 months:

Norm's Seafood Chowder

Number One in Hamden is killing it.

Reaction Score

Norm's Seafood Chowder

There is a Byrek joint in Waterford on the post road called Nana's nearby. Wasn't sure if you tried that yet?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Had a pretty good lobster roll a few weeks ago.

Asked the guy if he would mind sharing the recipe.

1. Lobster
2. Roll

Combine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul