Lobster Roll in CT | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Lobster Roll in CT

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Never heard of it. But if they are keeping the lobsters alive until sandwich day I can't see how bad it could be. How good it is depends on how much you like lobster.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Never heard of it. But if they are keeping the lobsters alive until sandwich day I can't see how bad it could be. How good it is depends on how much you like lobster.

The price is righteous too. 15.95 for a roll. Crap I pay more than that on the shoreline here.

Reaction Score
They have a truck in Charlotte and visit local breweries around the area. I tried Cousin's Maine in August, had the Connecticut roll with extra meat. Paid around $20 or so, pretty good roll, lobster tasted fresh, definitely the best roll I've had while living down here. I would have it again for sure.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Oh, and Lobster Landing has announced that they will be opening April 11th for their 2019 season!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Was up in Groton today and took the opportunity to check Ford’s lobster roll off the list. I am very glad I did because I cannot imagine ever getting near the place in the summer.

It is undoubtedly better than Abbott’s. And I will say it: it may be better than Lobster Landing. It was at least as good, but it seemed to have just a touch more lobster, just a touch more butter and just a touch larger split hot dog roll. Tough call. It could also be that I haven’t had one in a few months now, but this is really a terrific lobster roll. They may be 1 and 1A. They both must have toddler labor factories churning these things out.

Their clear broth chowder (“Noank” style) was also very good. And the rest of the menu looked pretty great as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was up in Groton today and took the opportunity to check Ford’s lobster roll off the list. I am very glad I did because I cannot imagine ever getting near the place in the summer.

It is undoubtedly better than Abbott’s. And I will say it: it may be better than Lobster Landing. It was at least as good, but it seemed to have just a touch more lobster, just a touch more butter and just a touch larger split hot dog roll. Tough call. It could also be that I haven’t had one in a few months now, but this is really a terrific lobster roll. They may be 1 and 1A. They both must have toddler labor factories churning these things out.

Their clear broth chowder (“Noank” style) was also very good. And the rest of the menu looked pretty great as well.
The lobster risotto is excellent.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The lobster risotto is excellent.
They had an appetizer with fried lobster and risotto balls and my wife was debating ordering it for the table. I was glad she didn’t because there was too much food as it was, but they sounded decadently delicious.

She got the lobster bisque and my daughter got the NE clam chowder and both were very good, but very rich for my tastes. Wife and mother in law also got the lobster tacos, and I ended up polishing off one of my wife’s tacos. Again, very good, but when I have great lobster with hot butter I can’t see adding stuff like chipotle aoli or mango salsa to it.

Which brings me to their lobster bomb. OMG. Half pound of buttered lobster in a fresh baked bread bowl, topped with lobster bisque?!?! A couple next to us ordered one each. That’s an $86 lunch before drinks and tip. We saw quite a few others get the bomb as well, and I think every one of them left the bread bowl mostly uneaten. I cannot imagine how full and logy you must feel after one of those.

Reaction Score
Which brings me to their lobster bomb. OMG. Half pound of buttered lobster in a fresh baked bread bowl, topped with lobster bisque?!?! A couple next to us ordered one each. That’s an $86 lunch before drinks and tip. We saw quite a few others get the bomb as well, and I think every one of them left the bread bowl mostly uneaten. I cannot imagine how full and logy you must feel after one of those.

I’d like to find out...

Reaction Score
They had an appetizer with fried lobster and risotto balls and my wife was debating ordering it for the table. I was glad she didn’t because there was too much food as it was, but they sounded decadently delicious.

She got the lobster bisque and my daughter got the NE clam chowder and both were very good, but very rich for my tastes. Wife and mother in law also got the lobster tacos, and I ended up polishing off one of my wife’s tacos. Again, very good, but when I have great lobster with hot butter I can’t see adding stuff like chipotle aoli or mango salsa to it.

The boule dough for the bomb is from NYC. The bread is very good. My brother ate the whole thing but he always had a hollow leg... one of those taller lean types that never gets fat. Hate him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The boule dough for the bomb is from NYC. The bread is very good.
I'm sure it tastes great and I would love it. I just can't imagine stuffing that in on top of a half pound of buttered lobster and a ladle of lobster bisque. I would definitely eat a few bites though.

BTW, the fried lobster and risotto balls come with a little cup of lobster bisque for dipping, because, you know, they aren't already rich enough. I'm surprised they don't cover them in cheese, too. What's not to love?

Reaction Score
Went to Abbott’s for the first time this year lobster was over cooked was not the only one complaining from what could see

I have to make a run to mystic in a few weeks for a family thing. Been to Abbott's twice in recent times and was satisfied. Should I stick to it or try Ford's this time or something else nearby? It's going to be a hit & run as the function ends at 2 PM on a Sunday and I know the drive back to North Jersey on a Summer Sunday afternoon is going to be a fracking nightmare.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Went to Capt. Scott’s on my way to the Cape the other night.

Liked the concrete parking lot/BYOB vibe. Still crowded at 8:30 at night.

Lobster roll was good - $20 for quite a bit of lobster. I do not believe that they use toddler labor to make their lobster roll, but a high-schooler with three seconds of instruction probably did.

Reaction Score
Went to Capt. Scott’s on my way to the Cape the other night.

Liked the concrete parking lot/BYOB vibe. Still crowded at 8:30 at night.

Lobster roll was good - $20 for quite a bit of lobster. I do not believe that they use toddler labor to make their lobster roll, but a high-schooler with three seconds of instruction probably did.
Haha, always enjoy your lobster roll routine.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Went to Lobster Landing last night. I think it was the sixth time so far this year. Tremendous as usual.

We had the funeral for a beloved aunt today and my cousin (her nephew) mentioned her love of lobster rolls in the eulogy he gave for her. She had been terribly ill for a very long time and wasn’t eating much down the stretch of the last few weeks, but he described how she didn’t refuse him when he offered to bring her a lobster roll and she ate it up like no one’s business. Not a bad last meal.

I was one of the pallbearers and while the priest was blessing the casket he softly said to her “Well done. Maybe there will even be a lobster roll for you there.” It was perfect.

There was a very cute toddler nearby but I do not believe she was involved in any aspect of the lobster roll.

Reaction Score
T's & P's 88.

Went to Red 36 in Mystic today. We like to head there after we hit the aquarium with the kids. Great atmosphere as usual. Nice open deck and breezy. Wife got the lobster roll as she is wont to do. I can't remember if she had it last time we were there but it was pretty well stuffed with lobster meat. She quite enjoyed it. I stole a bite, it was tasty. I don't usually go for the rolls, they are just too insubstantial to me for the price (similarly how I feel about sushi).

We had our two toddlers with us. A good deal of the food they were eating ended up on the floor. Pity the man who entrusts his lobsters to them.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
T's & P's 88.

Went to Red 36 in Mystic today. We like to head there after we hit the aquarium with the kids. Great atmosphere as usual. Nice open deck and breezy. Wife got the lobster roll as she is wont to do. I can't remember if she had it last time we were there but it was pretty well stuffed with lobster meat. She quite enjoyed it. I stole a bite, it was tasty. I don't usually go for the rolls, they are just too insubstantial to me for the price (similarly how I feel about sushi).

We had our two toddlers with us. A good deal of the food they were eating ended up on the floor. Pity the man who entrusts his lobsters to them.
We were just in Mystic for a wedding last weekend. Spent a lot of time before and after at the Jealous Monk. Highly recommend it if you haven't been. They do sell lobster rolls but they are the cold, salad style and their specialty is German beerhall-style food, so I went with schnitzel based on the waitress's recommendation and I was very happy with that choice. Great beer/cider selection and cocktails, and indoor/outdoor seating options.

Same owner is currently building a new place across the road (next to Holiday Inn Express) that is going to be a high-end Mexican restaurant and tequila bar. I'm expecting that to be very good as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom