Lobster Roll in CT | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Lobster Roll in CT

Reaction Score
I'd hate to ruin a good lobster roll with the experiment, but damn I'm curious how it would taste to add some of these to one.

Maybe a McDonald's lobster roll? Haven't had one of those yet this summer.
I also think in the McDonald's lobster roll, in addition to lobster (very little) I think they use white fish.

Reaction Score
Duuuuude..... thanks to you, I’m now I’m gonna have to deal with more people than I did on Tues night when I went there with my family and had to sit through a 2 hour wait since they don’t take resi’s!! Why couldn’t you just let everyone go to the before mentioned Abbott’s tourist trap and call it a day? I’m mumbling not nice things right now! LOL
Doggie, where did you live in the area?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
cafe-flo-at-the-florence.jpg

Lobster BLT at Café Flo Florence Griswold Museum, Old Lyme
I ordered this today and mine looked as good as pictured. Delicious. The sausage soup was pretty tasty as well.
@Duncan Idaho Thanks for the tip!

Reaction Score
Doggie, where did you live in the area?

I used to live in Mystic, now I’m in Essex. Spend a lot of time in the Mystic area during the summer though.
I need to stop at the Florence Griswald Museum to try that Lobster BLT you posted, I drive by it every day and never thought to stop in.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
With neither complaint nor any specific criticism, I offer that last night's visit to Lobster Landing was a clearly lesser experience than afterward listening to the Javon Jackson Quartet on the Branford Green. Also had sausage & peppers and cole slaw at LL, and Ashley's coffee ice cream during the second set of the jazz.

Reaction Score
A maine lobster currently is around $30+ per pound here in Holland.

Reaction Score
With neither complaint nor any specific criticism, I offer that last night's visit to Lobster Landing was a clearly lesser experience than afterward listening to the Javon Jackson Quartet on the Branford Green. Also had sausage & peppers and cole slaw at LL, and Ashley's coffee ice cream during the second set of the jazz.

You drove all the way to Clinton for LL or did you go to Lobster shack in branford?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Returned from Maine by coming south on I-395 in order to go to Lobster Landing beore the Branford Green
Great pic! Love the Bacci back with the "Closed" sign. Perfect timing.

Sorry to hear that the roll was not the highlight of your night; I hope that just means that the music was really good. What did you think of the sausage and peppers? And what's up with the cole slaw? Don't think I've ever noticed them having that there before. Or did you mean sauerkraut?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Great pic! Love the Bacci back with the "Closed" sign. Perfect timing.

Sorry to hear that the roll was not the highlight of your night; I hope that just means that the music was really good. What did you think of the sausage and peppers? And what's up with the cole slaw? Don't think I've ever noticed them having that there before. Or did you mean sauerkraut?
First, foremost, the music was excellent, perfectly miked & mixed & projected to the crowd on a beautiful evening, and my first let-it-all-go relaxation of the day. Prior to that it was packing up 3 generations and leaving Eliot, ME; numerous phone calls & txts as the point person for my wing of the family in communicating news, updating status, and gathering pallbearers for my dearest aunt who completed her earthly run at 91 with a fatal fall & 3 physician grandkids making the end-of-life decisions with my MD cousin on an Alaskan cruise; and being the sole driver with only a quick Lowell National Historical Park recon & a Mass Pike pit stop before Lobster Landing.

Lady Hans is a lobster roll skeptic (this trip further solidified her non-obnoxious stance), and I enter each attempt a little on edge from both hype and concern for her opinion. I'd wisely opted for whole belly clams in Portsmouth after reading this thread. The roll was quite good (not "transplendant"), but LH would have been better served by a tasting bite and a hot dog. The sausage & peppers was good but surprisingly bland (a well-chosen condiment might have helped the vegetables, but what?). The cole slaw was labeled as "NEW" and a tasty $1.25 addition. Might have helped the S&P, but it was Lady's choice, so I was working with only a taste.

Jazz has been famously labeled "The Sound of Surprise," and after several days of unexpected joys that come with new surroundings and 4 children, it would have been a surprise if LL could have met the 'greatest lobster roll' bar.

For context, I've had quite a few trips to Pepe's that have left me far short of a 'caught dragon' from nearly 40 years that had a crunch & chew ratio that left my jaw muscles happily sore for a few days afterward. During those visits, some of my first-time visiting table mates have pronounced it as "best pizza ever."

I'm too much a Buddhist sympathizer to disagree that expectations are the root of all disappointments. Maybe this gives greater insight into how the 15 miles to Bufalina comes with some 'issues,' and how Willington Pizza netted out to a thumbs experience.

Many years ago, in researching a college paper in my favorite mood-altering substance, I was introduced to the concept of "set and setting." It's a durable context for meeting much of the world's subjective pleasures.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
First, foremost, the music was excellent, perfectly miked & mixed & projected to the crowd on a beautiful evening, and my first let-it-all-go relaxation of the day. Prior to that it was packing up 3 generations and leaving Eliot, ME; numerous phone calls & txts as the point person for my wing of the family in communicating news, updating status, and gathering pallbearers for my dearest aunt who completed her earthly run at 91 with a fatal fall & 3 physician grandkids making the end-of-life decisions with my MD cousin on an Alaskan cruise; and being the sole driver with only a quick Lowell National Historical Park recon & a Mass Pike pit stop before Lobster Landing.

Lady Hans is a lobster roll skeptic (this trip further solidified her non-obnoxious stance), and I enter each attempt a little on edge from both hype and concern for her opinion. I'd wisely opted for whole belly clams in Portsmouth after reading this thread. The roll was quite good (not "transplendant"), but LH would have been better served by a tasting bite and a hot dog. The sausage & peppers was good but surprisingly bland (a well-chosen condiment might have helped the vegetables, but what?). The cole slaw was labeled as "NEW" and a tasty $1.25 addition. Might have helped the S&P, but it was Lady's choice, so I was working with only a taste.

Jazz has been famously labeled "The Sound of Surprise," and after several days of unexpected joys that come with new surroundings and 4 children, it would have been a surprise if LL could have met the 'greatest lobster roll' bar.

For context, I've had quite a few trips to Pepe's that have left me far short of a 'caught dragon' from nearly 40 years that had a crunch & chew ratio that left my jaw muscles happily sore for a few days afterward. During those visits, some of my first-time visiting table mates have pronounced it as "best pizza ever."

I'm too much a Buddhist sympathizer to disagree that expectations are the root of all disappointments. Maybe this gives greater insight into how the 15 miles to Bufalina comes with some 'issues,' and how Willington Pizza netted out to a thumbs experience.

Many years ago, in researching a college paper in my favorite mood-altering substance, I was introduced to the concept of "set and setting." It's a durable context for meeting much of the world's subjective pleasures.
Nothing like the death knell of high expectations.

There is a mustard-based sauce thing going on in Bacci's sausage and peppers; I like it. And I like the taste of the sausage itself, albeit mild. Meadow Meats also makes a hot one that he does not carry; I didn't like it as much because there was too much cayenne (I think) flavor to it for my tastes.

As for jazz, I am enjoying three new releases: two from Kamasi Washington (an EP, The Choice, and double-disc, Heaven and Earth), and the recently unearthed lost session from John Coltrane, Both Directions at Once. I don't want to set your expectations too high, but I really like them all.

Last edited:

StoweRefugee

We all got it comin’ Kid...
Reaction Score
Gotta love 99 Restaurant- Lobster Lovers weekend special gives you a big lobster roll with soup or salad, fries and dessert for $19. If the Red Sox win your kids eat free...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Gotta love 99 Restaurant- Lobster Lovers weekend special gives you a big lobster roll with soup or salad, fries and dessert for $19. If the Red Sox win your kids eat free...
It's actually loobster.

Reaction Score
Even if my kids are in their thirty's? They'll love that. Do they get to drink free too?:D

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Nothing like the death knell of high expectations.

There is a mustard-based sauce thing going on in Bacci's sausage and peppers; I like it. And I like the taste of the sausage itself, albeit mild. Meadow Meats also makes a hot one that he does not carry; I didn't like it as much because there was too much cayenne (I think) flavor to it for my tastes.

As for jazz, I am enjoying three new releases: two from Kamasi Washington (an EP, The Choice, and double-disc, Heaven and Earth), and the recently unearthed lost session from John Coltrane, Both Directions at Once. I don't want to set your expectations too high, but I really like them all.
Interesting, as I detected nothing like a mustard sauce. Maybe that was the missing note.

I liked Kamasi Washington's "The Epic," though, again, not up to the hype, but my jazz listening is very broad and deep, so no one release us ever n going to move the needle except by taking me by surprise.

Even more so than any newly-released Hendrix, newly-released Coltrane is always of interest. New discovered is even better. I'm a huge Classic Quartet fan, among my first loves, with post-Coltrane Tyner my first living hero whose everything record I bought upon release (and who was surprised when I recognized him as I collected his Wilbur Cross toll at the Housatonic River Bridge as he drove through one night in a Sedan DeVille).

Reaction Score
Whenever my family wants lobster rolls Captain Scott's in New London is our only choice. I saw where someone liked Abbotts in Noank. I would choose Abbots for whole lobsters, but not their lobster rolls. Abbotts' location is really nice on the Mystic River. Captain Scotts' location is not bad either with the marina and watching a train or two go by, but who don't see the river from there. Both places can get really crowded on Fridays and Saturdays.

Just to add another menu selection. For whole belly clams there is no place better than Sea Swirl in Mystic. Scallops are good there also.

Reaction Score
Yes, theirs is also great; but I usually get a whole lobster there because they do a great job with them, too.

I think Johnny Ad's in Old Saybrook is probably my runner up; also Lobster Shack in Branford is very good, too.

Had lobsters at home last night from Stop & Shop; at $4.99 a pound it was too good to pass up. Taste was very good (even better in my omelet this morning) but the shells were very tough, and what a friggin mess.

Which makes me appreciate the lobster roll even more.

SJ, the ones at LL are $18 now and I am good with one roll and one half of the sausage and peppers. And with the byob it's a great, reasonably-priced meal.
I said this about 7 pages ago. If you are around the Fairfield/Black Rock area hit BRYAC on Tuesdays. $12.95 for fresh catch lobster roll with slaw and fries. Like a Walter Ray 3. Can't miss.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I’ll put those up against any in state.

24 bucks total for 75 bucks worth of rolls.

50% more meat of LL.

8 bucks a roll

Reaction Score
I didn't like LL when I was there, but after this swell of positrons, I'll try again. Then again 'taste' on the BY is often in the 'mouth' and not to be taken tooo literally.

Love Abbetts for lobster and locale, but haven't had a roll there in years - but when I did, it was great. Capt Scott is good, but local draws poor marks on locale. I can name a few clam shacks that have precipitated major cases of the Trotskies, or worse, in friends - but perhaps that's left to a thread of its own?? BYers want to know!

What's the place with the ref to Calise rolls?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom