Lobster Roll in CT | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Lobster Roll in CT

Reaction Score
They are seating outside on the docks, not in the restaurant. I was solo yesterday so they sat me by myself on a great perch that was essentially a countertop overlooking the docks and the water. Perfect. There were a few tables with a couple people at them, but I would have rather been exactly where I was. It can be a little breezy so you need to weigh down your napkins and the empty oyster cracker bag to prevent them from blowing away; and you have to read the menu online on your own phone.
Tuck/lose the tie, rolled up sleeves and slightly haunched over.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Tuck/lose the tie, rolled up sleeves and slightly hunched over.
I'm an over-the-shoulder guy with the tie, which is what I did yesterday. Unless I am at a nice Italian restaurant and have a salad and/or a meal with gravy/sauce, in which case I go full-on makeshift bib with the napkin tucked into my collar.

Also not ashamed to admit that I drank the final half-cup worth of chowder broth, clams and potatoes right from the bowl yesterday. Couth be damned, the soup spoon was getting tedious and risking my shirt and tie with each plunge, and they had already delivered my lobster roll, so I didn't want to waste any more time getting to it.

Reaction Score
I'm an over-the-shoulder guy with the tie, which is what I did yesterday. Unless I am at a nice Italian restaurant and have a salad and/or a meal with gravy/sauce, in which case I go full-on makeshift bib with the napkin tucked into my collar.

Also not ashamed to admit that I drank the final half-cup worth of chowder broth, clams and potatoes right from the bowl yesterday. Couth be damned, the soup spoon was getting tedious and risking my shirt and tie with each plunge, and they had already delivered my lobster roll, so I didn't want to waste any more time getting to it.
Openings expanding tomorrow. You hit at a great time.

Reaction Score

Different board; but reminds me of the gymnastics I tried performing in my suit when I stopped at
Dalessandro's Steaks in Philly a few months ago on my way back from a business trip.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yes. I posted about both the shirt and the roll upthread. I own the shirt and their lobster roll was A+.
I came here to ask what the three prices are for Abbott's lobster rolls when I saw the Magic32's post above. I think I want Liv's!!!

We're driving to Stoning and Mystic just because. I still would like to know what Abott's charges for the regular Famous lobster roll, the OMG and the LOL Lobster roll.

EDIT - Now seeing your post about Ford's.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I came here to ask what the three prices are for Abbott's lobster rolls when I saw the Magic32's post above. I think I want Liv's!!!

We're driving to Stoning and Mystic just because. I still would like to know what Abott's charges for the regular Famous lobster roll, the OMG and the LOL Lobster roll.

EDIT - Now seeing your post about Ford's.
Ford’s over Abbott’s all day long imo if you are talking lobster rolls. And their Noank Chowder is great if you like a clear broth chowder.

Abbott’s does do a great job with the traditional lobster dinner though. I just don’t go for that as much as I used to. With the ridiculously low price of lobsters in recent years we do those at home a couple times a summer now. But the hamburger bun default for their lobster roll is almost as inexcusable as cold with mayo.

Speaking of which, I recently decided that the fact that Ford’s even offers a cold with mayo option deducts a point simply for that fact alone. Put another way, Baci at Lobster Landing gets a bump for sticking to his guns and only offering the Connecticut Roll, which is what I am calling the hot, buttered roll. Or the One True Roll.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'm hoping for Ford's today. I wish they had fries, tho.

Now that I see Liv's is a thing it will be a surefire dinnertime visit on our list from here on out.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm hoping for Ford's today. I wish they had fries, tho.

Now that I see Liv's is a thing it will be a surefire dinnertime visit on our list from here on out.
Can't go wrong with either.

If you want solid fries and fried seafood choices along with a very solid Connecticut Roll and clear broth chowder, Johnny Ad's in Old Saybrook is also great.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Weather sucked on a day we went to Stonington Borough for the first time. Oh well. So, we assumed that the above lobster joints were not rain-friendly. We thus had an excellent lobster roll at Breakwater. Claw meat and a griddle-cooked NE style roll. They make their own chips, too.
Breakwater Lobster Roll.jpg

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Anyone had the lobster roll at Westbrook Lobster? Looks like they are doing right by Fishy's measure:

106272653_3333080550059924_1836460632743397445_o.jpg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I didn't buy any $23 or $27 lobster rolls, I'm not stupid. There is a place down the street from me that has a $59 1 lb. lobster roll.

What’s it called?

I will go there and buy three.

Will take one bite of each and then walk out.

That’s how I do it.

Reaction Score
For the boneyarders near Norwalk, tried Knot Norms in East Norwalk for the first time last week and it was excellent.

Pricey, but quality ingredients used in casual seafood classics. I had the crab roll while my wife had the lobster roll, and we both loved what we got. Came with Cape Cod chips, homemade pickles and they have a nice selection of take-out beers too.

East Norwalk is an underrated neighborhood right near the water. Two places to get ice cream, two takeout seafood spots, a fancier seafood spot, a pizza place/tavern, a pretty good deli and a good taco truck all in a 500 foot stretch of road.

Reaction Score
Had to tell my sister to excommunicate one of her friends visiting from Manhattan (originally from west coast) after she said modern wasn't that good and she wanted a Hawaiian pie. Gave her one more chance by bringing her to Lobster Landing where she then complained and refused to eat cause they didn't offer cold lobster rolls.

She's a lost cause cut your losses

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Had to tell my sister to excommunicate one of her friends visiting from Manhattan (originally from west coast) after she said modern wasn't that good and she wanted a Hawaiian pie. Gave her one more chance by bringing her to Lobster Landing where she then complained and refused to eat cause they didn't offer cold lobster rolls.

She's a lost cause cut your losses

Don't cut your losses just yet. Simply don't go out for foods best done in southern CT. Do get her opinions on things like best Vietnamese restaurants and best fish tacos - she may be an asset there.

Reaction Score
For the boneyarders near Norwalk, tried Knot Norms in East Norwalk for the first time last week and it was excellent.

Pricey, but quality ingredients used in casual seafood classics. I had the crab roll while my wife had the lobster roll, and we both loved what we got. Came with Cape Cod chips, homemade pickles and they have a nice selection of take-out beers too.

East Norwalk is an underrated neighborhood right near the water. Two places to get ice cream, two takeout seafood spots, a fancier seafood spot, a pizza place/tavern, a pretty good deli and a good taco truck all in a 500 foot stretch of road.
I live in East Norwalk...we go to Knot Norms a couple times a month...Jay (owner) is a great guy and a good community supporter. Not sure if you saw or not but they just announced they are opening their second place on Thames Street in Newport. If you like chicken wings, make sure you try them there...huge and tasty...especially the "Ghost" ones.

Reaction Score
For tonight, I had an outdoor reservation for Noah's in Stonington but they called to cancel on us. Need help with either outdoor dining options that could handle the rain or takeout seafood options in the New London/Groton/Stonington area.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Need help with takeout seafood options in the New London/Groton/Stonington area. I have an outdoor reservation for Noah's in Stonington but good chance that'll be rained out.
They have tents at Dog Watch BBQ. it shares menu items with its Stonington Borough sister. Also take out. New London maybe On the Waterfront on Pequot Ave.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For tonight, I had an outdoor reservation for Noah's in Stonington but they called to cancel on us. Need help with either outdoor dining options that could handle the rain or takeout seafood options in the New London/Groton/Stonington area.
What about Abbott’s or Ford’s in Noank?

We ate at Liv’s Shack Westbrook again last night. We all agreed they were the best lobster rolls we’ve had there yet; they’ve all been very good to great, but last night they were a little sweeter and there was a really nice balance of perfect claw meat and knuckle meat.

Tried the cheese curds for the first time, too. Very solid add.

Love the setting and the BYOB.

If you can go as far as Westbrook they can handle the rain.

Reaction Score
What about Abbott’s or Ford’s in Noank?

We ate at Liv’s Shack Westbrook again last night. We all agreed they were the best lobster rolls we’ve had there yet; they’ve all been very good to great, but last night they were a little sweeter and there was a really nice balance of perfect claw meat and knuckle meat.

Tried the cheese curds for the first time, too. Very solid add.

Love the setting and the BYOB.

If you can go as far as Westbrook they can handle the rain.
Ford’s was great. Thanks for the recommendation. @8893 do you know their history? I grew up in Greenwich and had a childhood friend with the last name of Ford whose dad was a lobsterman. Coincidence or same family?

The hot lobster roll was insanely good. Honestly some of the best lobster I’ve ever had and mammoth chunks in the roll.

Also shared the lobster risotto, which was too rich and soupy for my taste, and a salad just to balance it out. Would love to try it again when the weather is better.

First time visiting Noank and it’s is cool. On the drive over we drove around Essex, which was real pretty. Would like to explore that area in the autumn.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ford’s was great. Thanks for the recommendation.

The hot lobster roll was insanely good. Honestly some of the best lobster I’ve ever had and mammoth chunks in the roll.

Also shared the lobster risotto, which was too rich and soupy for my taste, and a salad just to balance it out. Would love to try it again when the weather is better.

Noank is cool. First time over there and also we drove by Essex which was also my first time. Would like to explore that area in the autumn.
Definitely at least tied for best lobster roll imo. I always look at the rest of the menu but I can’t resist that roll.

Noank chowder is a nice complement if you like RI style (clear broth). Tasty and light.

Reaction Score
I've had a couple of very good hot rolls at Sam the Clams in Southington in the last month. The 4 oz rolls that I got had closer to 6 oz in it based on a monster mitt that was in there. Very generous. My kid got the 8 oz and it was ridiculously large!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom