Liz Cambage Disses the WNBA | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Liz Cambage Disses the WNBA

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Fairfield Fan, post: 2812681, member: 6911"

Something is wrong with the WNBA, and I suspect it can be found with the men who control the parent company- the NBA....[/QUOTE]

7 of the 12 WNBA teams are now independently owned. While the "umbrella" may still be there, not sure the parent company thing applies anymore.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest and fair. Men's sports are not living off of their own dime. They are on government assistance.

We Subsidize Men's Sports. Maybe It's Time To Subsidize Women's Sports
The article refers only to stadium subsidies. Municipalities come up with bond issues to subsidize stadiums in order to get teams to come to, or not leave, their town. The idea is the town benefits in restaurant and hospitality spending as well as prestige. The alternative is to vote down the bond issue and the team leaves to go to a municipality with a more lucrative offer, such as the Baltimore Colts moving to Indianapolis, the Seattle Supersonics moving to Oklahoma City and the Oakland Raiders moving to Las Vegas.

In other words, it's competitive, just like all these cities currently offering tax breaks trying to get Amazon to put their 2nd HQ there. When the WNBA can offer similar benefits to municipalities, then they will be able to play one town against the other to get the best deal too.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest and fair. Men's sports are not living off of their own dime. They are on government assistance.

We Subsidize Men's Sports. Maybe It's Time To Subsidize Women's Sports

That is not really honest, and fair has nothing to do with the issue.

The only government subsidy he seems to identify is for sports stadiums and arenas funded by state and/or local governments. These are exclusively justified as investments for the local economy. Impossible to make that claim for women's sports.

Instead he finds 2 benefits in subsidizing women. They would be role models for youngsters (girls only in reality), and women who play sports do better in a man's business world, and they are thinner. Not sufficient reasons, in my estimation.

Reaction Score
The article refers only to stadium subsidies. Municipalities come up with bond issues to subsidize stadiums in order to get teams to come to, or not leave, their town. The idea is the town benefits in restaurant and hospitality spending as well as prestige. The alternative is to vote down the bond issue and the team leaves to go to a municipality with a more lucrative offer, such as the Baltimore Colts moving to Indianapolis, the Seattle Supersonics moving to Oklahoma City and the Oakland Raiders moving to Las Vegas.

In other words, it's competitive, just like all these cities currently offering tax breaks trying to get Amazon to put their 2nd HQ there. When the WNBA can offer similar benefits to municipalities, then they will be able to play one town against the other to get the best deal too.
I get the concept of competition and businesses following the money. But when you allow a government entity to use the people's money to pay the rent, that's similar to section 8 and corporate welfare. In my mind, that's not in the true spirit of free market. And not every citizen appreciates the sport and wants to pay someone else's rent.

Reaction Score
I get the concept of competition and businesses following the money. But when you allow a government entity to use the people's money to pay the rent, that's similar to section 8 and corporate welfare. In my mind, that's not in the true spirit of free market. And not every citizen appreciates the sport and wants to pay someone else's rent.

Would this apply to Hartford's XL Center and the Rent stadium as well? If so, UConn will need to find some new locations for their biggest games.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
the Seattle Supersonics moving to Oklahoma City

Always helps when the league commissioner is in collusion with the new ownership group. Don't even get me started. Stern was a shifty, beady eyed little piece of crap. Sonics fans will never get over the way their team was taken away. And I'm more of a Blazer guy, at least when I followed the NBA.

Reaction Score
Always helps when the league commissioner is in collusion with the new ownership group. Don't even get me started. Stern was a shifty, beady eyed little piece of crap. Sonics fans will never get over the way their team was taken away. And I'm more of a Blazer guy, at least when I followed the NBA.
If the people of Seattle wanted a basketball team they could have had one. Apparently they learned their lesson and approved the current football & baseball stadiums. (BTW I watched the Kingdome implosion live - what a hoot!)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If the people of Seattle wanted a basketball team they could have had one. Apparently they learned their lesson and approved the current football & baseball stadiums. (BTW I watched the Kingdome implosion live - what a hoot!)

The baseball and football stadiums were built several years before the Sonics left town. Guess they were tired of funding stadiums and the Sonics were the odd team out.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The city of Seattle mishandled the situation, but it was completely underhanded the way it went down. Clay Bennett and company paid lip service to keeping the team in Seattle but absolutely intended from day one to move them to OKC, lied about it, and Stern was totally in on it the whole time. Also Howard Schultz was a moron.

Reaction Score
That is not really honest, and fair has nothing to do with the issue.

The only government subsidy he seems to identify is for sports stadiums and arenas funded by state and/or local governments. These are exclusively justified as investments for the local economy. Impossible to make that claim for women's sports.

Instead he finds 2 benefits in subsidizing women. They would be role models for youngsters (girls only in reality), and women who play sports do better in a man's business world, and they are thinner. Not sufficient reasons, in my estimation.

The stadium subsidy is enormous for a business most of whose expenses are the venue and players' salaries. What else is there?

I've seen analyses that show that the billions that states and cities come up with to build stadiums for pro football teams is actually a terrible deal, and that the commercial activity generated by the teams is far below the cost of the subsidies. Some cities are balking at the costs now.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
So if you’re one of these hardcore women’s college basketball fans who aren’t that into the WNBA, I’m curious why.

I've watched the W, had a pass for a few seasons, gone to some games...et al.

But, I've come to the conclusion that I enjoy UConn woman's BB more ....more coherent, purer in style and intent,
more focus on fundamentals; especially D; in a word: way better coaching. So I let my subscriptions lapse.

It was a little like what happened in the under 17/18 this summer. Some posters thought that there was a big talent disparity with the younger kids, way more gifted.

Couldn't disagree more...it was all about coaching and fundamentals being rigorously emphasized.

Reaction Score
Her behavior has at times been unacceptable in Australia too, including getting kicked off their Olympic team.
I was just watching one of her past games against the US and she actually sucker punched a US player in the stomach. The announcers missed why the player was doubled over and when it was replayed they were speechless. She may be a talented player but I am not a fan of hers.

Reaction Score
I was just watching one of her past games against the US and she actually sucker punched a US player in the stomach. The announcers missed why the player was doubled over and when it was replayed they were speechless. She may be a talented player but I am not a fan of hers.
I love her. She brings buzz to a business that really needs it. She’s exciting, talented, vocal, REAL, and still figuring herself out which is exactly where one normally is at 27.

Reaction Score

I recall how Britney Griner didn't "sucker punch" a player, but actually walked up to her and smashed her in the face. Didn't she break the kid's nose? At least that was years ago in college...

Reaction Score
I recall how Britney Griner didn't "sucker " a player, but actually walked up to her and smashed her in the face. Didn't she break the kid's nose? At least that was years ago in college...
The infamous Barncastle incident. ETT felt it was somewhat justified, as Griner was tired of getting grabbed & mugged all the time. Defenders had to think twice after that.

Reaction Score
I love her. She brings buzz to a business that really needs it. She’s exciting, talented, vocal, REAL, and still figuring herself out which is exactly where one normally is at 27.
And I like all of those attributes; it’s the dirty play I can’t stand. Completely turns me off as a fan.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In perhaps the most revealing comments about how the WNBA is a poor league for its players, Liz Cambage, the league's leading scorer and a true superstar, dissed the WNBA and stated that she won't play for it long-term:

"Whether Cambage returns to the WNBA next year or not, she says the WNBA is not a league she plans on playing in long term. All season, Cambage has been vocal about the issues of concern for WNBA players including travel conditions, on-court play and pay disparity.

"For Cambage, the price and physical toll of a WNBA season is potentially not worth the return.

"I've said this many times: [The WNBA] doesn't pay my bills ... playing here doesn't pay my bills," Cambage said. "We make more money overseas. I'm ready to have next summer off and focus on getting a European contract where its 10 seasons here worth the pay.

"It sucks because I love to be here, I love to put the game out there, I love what comes with playing here. But at the end of the day, for my longevity, I worry about my body, my mind and my soul. I really don't get paid enough to be beaten up every game. I'm not a WWE wrestler and that's how it feels sometimes out on the court."

Wings' Cambage: May not return to WNBA in '19

This is what players have been saying all summer long. Clearly, something is seriously wrong with the WNBA if its top players are saying that it's not worth the lousy pay and the danger of injury, and that time off from their real gigs in Europe or elsewhere is more important than playing in the U.S. This is in line with the comments of UConn superstar Diana Taurasi, who said that she was playing in the WNBA basically to get health insurance coverage.

The big question is why overseas leagues from China and Korea to Russia and Turkey, and the European leagues in between can attract American players and pay them well- and thrive as leagues- but this step-child of the NBA can't be bothered to make it a real option for top players?

"I really don't get paid enough to be beaten up every game. I'm not a WWE wrestler and that's how it feels sometimes out on the court." -
Liz Cambage

kia-nurse.jpg

The Liberty's Kia Nurse and Seattle's Natasha Howard wrestling for a loose ball.
I guess Cambage never sees/experiences this type of aggression in Europe. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think this article describes what you are saying. A good read.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom