Limit XL Center games | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Limit XL Center games

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have a different solution, play fewer chumps AND win more games

Fans are not going to get excited about playing Stony Brook, never have. And Winning cures a lot of ills, that's just the way it is.

I do believe they have to find a way to get more students to Hartford, including free transportation AND tickets

The school also can't afford to lose any more donations, they need the money they get from the Hartford only crowd.

I think the atmosphere is better at GP, but everything else about the facility sucks. From food to drinks to other venues surrounding the building. A night out requires a complete package, many are looking for more than just a two hour basketball game, and not just a long ride before and after.
FWIW since the development of Storrs Center, there are before/after choices next door to campus. Agree 100% that Gampel could use an updated concourse (more/better food and restrooms, etc.) That is already included in the school's master plan.

CL82

Reaction Score
Great idea. Let's see how many ideas we can come up with that ignore revenue.

Are you sure that low attendance games in the XL, actually make money for us? If so, are you sure that they make more money than a low attendance game at Gampel where our overhead is significantly lower?

If it turns out that low attendance games generate more revenue being played in Storrs, would you still want them played in Hartford? If you do, would that be "an idea that ignores revenue?"

Just curious.

Reaction Score
Are you sure that low attendance games in the XL, actually make money for us? If so, are you sure that they make more money than a low attendance game at Gampel where our overhead is significantly lower?

If it turns out that low attendance games generate more revenue being played in Storrs, would you still want them played in Hartford? If you do, would that be "an idea that ignores revenue?"

Just curious.

question we were talking about on Tuesday night at the game after I came back with a hot dog and water ($10!!!): who gets cut from concessions at XL? from Gampel?

CL82

Reaction Score
question we were talking about on Tuesday night at the game after I came back with a hot dog and water ($10!!!): who gets cut from concessions at XL? from Gampel?
Under old deal, I think the XL kept the concessions revenue. I'm not sure about the most recent one they negotiated or if it has even gone into effect yet. In Storrs, I'd expect, but do not know, that we keep the concessions revenue.

Reaction Score
Under old deal, I think the XL kept the concessions revenue. I'm not sure about the most recent one they negotiated or if it has even gone into effect yet. In Storrs, I'd expect, but do not know, that we keep the concessions revenue.

they really need to get the concession prices under control at XL, it's more expensive than the Rent at this point.

CL82

Reaction Score
they really need to get the concession prices under control at XL, it's more expensive than the Rent at this point.
I think we're witnessing the death throws of the XL. They are looking for money wherever they can find it.

Reaction Score
For wolf pack games yes. Tack on probably 10 for a ticket and you can get hammered at a hockey game for 25 bucks
that's a nice promotion, but I find WP games to be utterly depressing. Too much Ghost of NHL/Whale there (used to go as a kid to Whaler games). I much prefer QU hockey these days.

Reaction Score
From what I have gathered I might be the only person in the world with this opinion, but Hartford is a nice city and the XL center is a good enough building. I enjoy making the trip - which for me is close to two each way - a few times per year, particularly if it's a Saturday afternoon game. Seriously. It's not that bad. Nobody is going there on their honeymoon and maybe I'm just easily impressed, but it has the feel of a city without the obnoxious numbers of people. The same people who bash Hartford now are the ones 20 years from that will be upset that there are larger crowds. You can't have it all.

I used to be adamant that Gampel was a far better atmosphere, but the last couple years there have been underwhelming and I actually think the XL has been better. Unfortunately there is no easy fix, but then again the type of logistical concerns that are being expressed here are ones that better fan bases don't even think about. Weekdays can be tricky, but there is no reason Saturday games against good opponents shouldn't be sold out regardless of where it is played.

Reaction Score
From what I have gathered I might be the only person in the world with this opinion, but Hartford is a nice city and the XL center is a good enough building. I enjoy making the trip - which for me is close to two each way - a few times per year, particularly if it's a Saturday afternoon game. Seriously. It's not that bad. Nobody is going there on their honeymoon and maybe I'm just easily impressed, but it has the feel of a city without the obnoxious numbers of people. The same people who bash Hartford now are the ones 20 years from that will be upset that there are larger crowds. You can't have it all.

I used to be adamant that Gampel was a far better atmosphere, but the last couple years there have been underwhelming and I actually think the XL has been better. Unfortunately there is no easy fix, but then again the type of logistical concerns that are being expressed here are ones that better fan bases don't even think about. Weekdays can be tricky, but there is no reason Saturday games against good opponents shouldn't be sold out regardless of where it is played.
What's your optimistic take on the artillery barrages around the Yard Goats ballpark?

Reaction Score
What's your optimistic take on the artillery barrages around the Yard Goats ballpark?

Ha...I'm completely ignorant of that situation. You'll have to ask Deepster.

Reaction Score
Ha...I'm completely ignorant of that situation. You'll have to ask Deepster.

I’m curious what you do when you drive in, stay for a couple hours and drive home that’s so nice? I’m guessing you park in the same spot, then go to the same bar (Vaughn’s or City Steam). What else?

Reaction Score
I’m curious what you do when you drive in, stay for a couple hours and drive home that’s so nice? I’m guessing you park in the same spot, then go to the same bar (Vaughn’s or City Steam). What else?
We do both of these. Planned to meet at Black Bear just cause it's big and we could get in. Alas it's closed. Ended up at the Tavern pregame. Definitely need some new pre/post game spots. Ant suggestions?

Reaction Score
We do both of these. Planned to meet at Black Bear just cause it's big and we could get in. Alas it's closed. Ended up at the Tavern pregame. Definitely need some new pre/post game spots. Ant suggestions?

Nope. I just find it interesting that you basically drive in, park, hit an irish pub and think Hartford is a nice city.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

We go to Bear's for pre-game vittles these days.

Reaction Score
Hartford is held back by the negativity of old white people complaining and comparing everything to the good old days or the imaginary threat of being mugged when they go downtown. Newsflash. Every stadium has expensive concessions and/or parking. There is crime in every city and most of the victims are engaging in crime themselves or live in those crime affected areas..Not visitors from the suburbs. If you are reasonably smart, aware, and not scared of people that don't look like you, then you will be fine and you will enjoy your night out. There are all types of nice bars and restaurants in Hartford by the way....but not of all of them are in the Central Business District so unfortunately one may have to go out of their comfort zone to have a good time and maybe try something new for once.

This rant isn't directed at anyone in this thread. But if the shoe fits...

Reaction Score
Hartford is held back by the negativity of old white people complaining and comparing everything to the good old days or the imaginary threat of being mugged when they go downtown. Newsflash. Every stadium has expensive concessions and/or parking. There is crime in every city and most of the victims are engaging in crime themselves or live in those crime affected areas..Not visitors from the suburbs. If you are reasonably smart, aware, and not scared of people that don't look like you, then you will be fine and you will enjoy your night out. There are all types of nice bars and restaurants in Hartford by the way....but not of all of them are in the Central Business District so unfortunately one may have to go out of their comfort zone to have a good time and maybe try something new for once.

Hartford is a shell of its former self, I think that's another thing people are complaining about here, not just safety. There's tumbleweeds blowing down the streets most nights.

Reaction Score

I guess I'd counter with this.

1) It's a commuter city. Unless there's an event of some importance, it's dead after 5p and more than dead on a Saturday day/night.
2) It's disjointed. If you're on one side of the XL center and want to go to Front St, it's not an easy walk. If you're at Front St and want to go to the Yard Goats. Getting around from spots to spots isn't clean in Hartford. And parking blows so getting in your car, driving to a new bar and re-parking is a pain in the neck.
3) Why wouldn't you just go to West Hartford center, have better eating and drinking options, park once and have it all in a tighter geographic range?

Reaction Score
Hartford is a shell of its former self, I think that's another thing people are complaining about here, not just safety. There's tumbleweeds blowing down the streets most nights.
Yeah, I'm not really responding to anyone in this thread. It is more about the constant negativity, annoying complaints, and racism I see in courant.com article replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
3) Why wouldn't you just go to West Hartford center, have better eating and drinking options, park once and have it all in a tighter geographic range?

Hartford has so much more to do besides eat and drink. It's the difference between Hartford Stage and Playhouse on Park.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hartford is held back by the negativity of old white people complaining and comparing everything to the good old days
There were "good old days" in Hartford? When?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not really responding to anyone in this thread. It is more about the constant negativity, annoying complaints, and racism I see in courant.com article replies.

Racism? Where have you seen any hint of that in this thread? Gimme a break.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom