Limit XL Center games | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Limit XL Center games

Reaction Score
As soon as the CTrail train line goes active next year, I'm going to make a LOT more basketball games in Hartford. The ability to get on a train in New Haven, have a couple of beers on the way up, go to the game, and not have to worry about driving home, is huge for me. Plus not having to deal with parking, etc.

Heck, even if I have to wait 45 min for the train cause of timing, that's fine, I'll go grab a beer at Vaughn's or something.

I was bummed it was delayed until May but I am absolutely going to use the heck out of that train as soon as I can.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
There were "good old days" in Hartford? When?

Hartford had way more going for it from the mid 80's through late 90's even into early 2000's . It was never to be confused with a real city, but there were things to do down at Union Station and then places like the Muni, Scarlet Oharas, Dagnys, the Webster, I can go on. There was a music scene. There was a club scene. Not huge but vibrant enough to be fun. There is ZERO of either now.

West Hartford and Glastonbury ruined Hartford.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Racism? Where have you seen any hint of that in this thread? Gimme a break.

What part of "in courant.com article replies" didn't click?

Reaction Score
What part of "in courant.com article replies" didn't click?

The OP implied that was 1 of the reasons he was bowing out of the thread. If racism isn't present here now, then why automatically assume that a discussion about how good/bad the nightlight in Hartford is will end there?

Reaction Score
Hartford had way more going for it from the mid 80's through late 90's even into early 2000's . It was never to be confused with a real city, but there were things to do down at Union Station and then places like the Muni, Scarlet Oharas, Dagnys, the Webster, I can go on. There was a music scene. There was a club scene. Not huge but vibrant enough to be fun. There is ZERO of either now.

This just shows how long its been dead. I'm in my 30's and I've never heard of any of those places other than the Webster. I feel like Hartford has been spinning its wheels my entire life while West Hartford, Glastonbury, ect took away its retail and, restaurant and party scene.

Reaction Score
This just shows how long its been dead. I'm in my 30's and I've never heard of any of those places other than the Webster. I feel like Hartford has been spinning its wheels my entire life while West Hartford, Glastonbury, ect took away its retail and, restaurant and party scene.

I grew up in Glastonbury.

I do not recall a party or retail scene.

Or any scene, really.

Maybe I just wasn't cool.

Reaction Score

Or any scene, really.

Neither do I to be honest with you but people always bring up Glastonbury with West Hartford so I just assumed there was a scene. I'm probably wrong.

Reaction Score
there were things to do down at Union Station
Sad to see the state of the Union Station area now as I had a hand in creating it. I designed Pastis, The Standing Stone, The Brickyard, Black-eyed Sally's, Coach's and Hot Tomato's. Glory days. Hell, my (cheating) ex-wife met her boyfriend at The Brickyard but that's a story for another day.

Reaction Score
Neither do I to be honest with you but people always bring up Glastonbury with West Hartford so I just assumed there was a scene. I'm probably wrong.

I heard they installed a Rotery at the corner of New London and Hebron Ave.

That's cool.

That's what the kids like, right?

Reaction Score
Sad to see the state of the Union Station area now as I had a hand in creating it. I designed Pastis, The Standing Stone, The Brickyard, Black-eyed Sally's, Coach's and Hot Tomato's. Glory days. Hell, my (cheating) ex-wife met her boyfriend at The Brickyard but that's a story for another day.

Standing Stone and Black-eyed Sally's are still around.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Or any scene, really.

Glastonbury gets lumped In strictly for restaurant scene it took people out of hartford

Reaction Score
I hope it wasn't one of the owners of The Brickyard. Friends of mine. Both UConn grads.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Yep. I 'member it well. You could have summed it all up by mentioning 36 Lewis Street.

Like soccer, Hartford was always described as being on the verge of becoming really popular. And in those days, I believed it.

Not sure which is further away now. Soccer made a lot of strides, but missing the next World Cup is a huge setback for the popularity of the sport here. And Hartford, well, I'm guessing most of the people on this board don't even know that 36 Lewis Street was ever a thing.

Reaction Score
Being a UConn alum now living in Norwalk, I loved the Bridgeport experience for UConn games there. I've been to the Columbia and Eastern Washington games (my in-laws are North Dakota State football fans and DESPISE Eastern Washington, so it was fun to bring them to that game), the women's tournament games there have been fun and had front row seats for the UConn/Maine hockey game which was a blast.

I mean 9500+ for a UConn/Eastern Washington game? Try that in Hartford. One of those winter break games HAS to be in Bridgeport.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Whale leaving is what killed Hartford.
Certainly played a huge part.

I was never much of a hockey fan, but in those mid-to-late 80s years when the Whale made the playoffs we all had the fever. Hell, I remember driving from campus to Rein's in Vernon just to watch the playoffs on cable, because we couldn't get the games up on campus.

Reaction Score
Can't believe no one's mentioned "the last real bar in Hartford"...the Federal Cafe. Somehow, still open after 80 years.

Reaction Score
Being a UConn alum now living in Norwalk, I loved the Bridgeport experience for UConn games there. I've been to the Columbia and Eastern Washington games (my in-laws are North Dakota State football fans and DESPISE Eastern Washington, so it was fun to bring them to that game), the women's tournament games there have been fun and had front row seats for the UConn/Maine hockey game which was a blast.

I mean 9500+ for a UConn/Eastern Washington game? Try that in Hartford. One of those winter break games HAS to be in Bridgeport.

I'm fine with playing games in Bridgeport, Hartford, Mohegan, the moon, wherever.

As long as it's over break and not against a big opponent.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
fond memories of the New Haven Coliseum games
Fond memories of New Haven Nighthawks games there as a kid.

Not so much the hockey, but the soft pretzels my dad would always buy me when we went to the games.

Too many great concert memories from there to name, but I don't miss that damned parking garage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom