Limit XL Center games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Limit XL Center games

Reaction Score
there is no way they take away games from XL Center when part of the reason they are playing there is to get people to go to Hartford to spend money on restaurants and bars outside the arena.

Btw i totally agree that we should be playing most games at Gampel. What attendance we lacked for these early season games we made up for the Pitts and Syracuses and Nova and Gtowns of the world. Unfortunately, are people really going to be excited for conference opponents like ECU, Tulane, and Tulsa?

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I think this is the most sensible compromise for the state and the program. If we're going to have to play at XL, make them break games where students are off campus already. And maybe, personally would rather them at Gampel as well, big-time guaranteed sell-out games. That'd be good for what 6+ games a year?

Well this year for instance,

There’s 3 home games over break

Wichita State
ECU
UCF

Then two high revenue games which should draw large attendance

Cincy
Nova

That would be 5 games at XL with good matchups. Heck I would even give them one more early season game if need be.

That would allow for all other games to be at gampel where it’s a better home court advantage against lower level teams with the students being as involved as possible.

Now for those that would say Gampel won’t have any marquee opponents coming in, I left SMU at Gampel in this scenario and UConn could rotate one of WSU, Cincy, and SMU at gampel every year to please those that would argue that.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
there is no way they take away games from XL Center when part of the reason they are playing there is to get people to go to Hartford to spend money on restaurants and bars outside the arena.

Btw i totally agree that we should be playing most games at Gampel. What attendance we lacked for these early season games we made up for the Pitts and Syracuses and Nova and Gtowns of the world. Unfortunately, are people really going to be excited for conference opponents like ECU, Tulane, and Tulsa?

Well this year to AD David Benedict’s credit, most of our conference games are in fact at Gampel which I believe was done strategically.

Reaction Score
I think all home games, except during the Xmas break period and perhaps some marquee games vs national programs should be played on campus. Let the students sit courtside on one side - get them from behind the hoops. The hell with the damn corporate season ticket holders - let them all pitch in and either add corporate boxes to Gampel or build a bigger on campus facility with boxes.

Great idea. Let's see how many ideas we can come up with that ignore revenue.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Tulane at Gampel was the best crowd of the year last year.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
We are a mid major now, one that finishes 5th, 6th, even worse in our southern conference. Lucky to get 5K hearty souls to that dump to see Stony Brook

Reaction Score
Its very possible we will never sell out another XL center game.. Just too many factors against us. Only a new conference could instill life into the fan base.... temporarily

Reaction Score
Its very possible we will never sell out another XL center game.. Just too many factors against us. Only a new conference could instill life into the fan base.... temporarily
I don't believe that. If the team starts winning, is ranked, and a good opponent comes to town and the place will be sold out. The team just needs to get people excited and lately they haven't done that.

Reaction Score
Shutter the XL. Hartford is dead. They could play Coppin State and sell out Harbor Yard every single time. With the new state budget pulling the rug out from UConn maybe they won't feel so obligated to toss the capital a lifeline of 10 games a year.

Reaction Score
I don't believe that. If the team starts winning, is ranked, and a good opponent comes to town and the place will be sold out. The team just needs to get people excited and lately they haven't done that.

I guess we'll see when Nova comes in and possible Witchita State. I believe we did sell out two years ago for Georgetown. So I guess there is hope. But after last year, I sense we lost more fans.

Reaction Score
I guess we'll see when Nova comes in and possible Witchita State. I believe we did sell out two years ago for Georgetown. So I guess there is hope. But after last year, I sense we lost more fans.

any old big east rivalry will probably sell well.

Reaction Score
There are seats left for Nova in the very upper portions of the 200 section on the side, and for about 1/2 of the upper section behind the basket.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Great idea. Let's see how many ideas we can come up with that ignore revenue.
Building and naming boxes would raise revenues
I think that's how it goes but you are the business lawyer so guess I'm barking up the wrong tree. With the ladies doing so well I guess there would be no interest

Reaction Score
Building and naming boxes would raise revenues
I think that's how it goes but you are the business lawyer so guess I'm barking up the wrong tree. With the ladies doing so well I guess there would be no interest

The point is that we are not in a position where we are going to let go of money we can make. For you -- for anyone -- outside the AD to think you have some ideas that AD David Benedict hasn't thought of and priced out is sort of silly. If we could make more money abandoning Hartford -- more money including money we get out of protecting UConn's relationship with the state of Connecticut -- it will happen. It won't happen just because someone has an idea.

Reaction Score
The student section has been a disgrace since 2015.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The point is that we are not in a position where we are going to let go of money we can make. For you -- for anyone -- outside the AD to think you have some ideas that AD David Benedict hasn't thought of and priced out is sort of silly. If we could make more money abandoning Hartford -- more money including money we get out of protecting UConn's relationship with the state of Connecticut -- it will happen. It won't happen just because someone has an idea.

I’m afraid the days of playing a half schedule at the XL center are numbered.

The attendance at the XL center is a direct product of season ticket sales.

Based on the scheduling and prices, the only conclusion I can come to is that the goal is to suppress season ticket sales at XL so that they can move to Gampel full time.

The budget is going to be such a disaster going forward that UConn won’t be immune regardless of their ‘committment’ to playing in Hartford.

Most people here will be thrilled, but it’s just another nail in the coffin for the program. I’ve been getting soaked for Renschler and XL tickets for years. If they believe no longer playing where I and people like me can and want to attend is no longer in their best interest, I’m sure we can find other ways to direct that discretionary spending.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wichita State, Cincy, and Villanova should be at XL Center rest should be Gampel. Should play 1 game at Bridgeport and Mohegan Sun. XL Center needs to be refurbish to be a viable arena to attract large crowds again downtown.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If they believe no longer playing where I and people like me can and want to attend is no longer in their best interest, I’m sure we can find other ways to direct that discretionary spending.
ha-ha-time-for-hookers-and-blow.jpg

Reaction Score
I have a different solution, play fewer chumps AND win more games

Fans are not going to get excited about playing Stony Brook, never have. And Winning cures a lot of ills, that's just the way it is.

I do believe they have to find a way to get more students to Hartford, including free transportation AND tickets

The school also can't afford to lose any more donations, they need the money they get from the Hartford only crowd.

I think the atmosphere is better at GP, but everything else about the facility sucks. From food to drinks to other venues surrounding the building. A night out requires a complete package, many are looking for more than just a two hour basketball game, and not just a long ride before and after.

+1, could/should just end the thread with this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just don't think the fan base has the passion of the past, they're spoiled nothing has changed. Hartford has always been ugly who cares, it's UConn basketball in a 16K arena if you're a fan and you have the means and the lifestyle you go to the games really don't care who they are playing.

Heard from a friend worst he's ever seen it the HCC or felt it the other night. Embarrassed for the team and program. It's very sad to see 4K at a game no matter the situation.

Reaction Score
I just don't think the fan base has the passion of the past, they're spoiled nothing has changed. Hartford has always been ugly who cares, it's UConn basketball in a 16K arena if you're a fan and you have the means and the lifestyle you go to the games really don't care who they are playing.

Heard from a friend worst he's ever seen it the HCC or felt it the other night. Embarrassed for the team and program. It's very sad to see 4K at a game no matter the situation.

We can all cross our fingers and close our eyes and hope really, really hard but we're just not a Kentucky or UNC or Indiana in regards to a fan base. I've said it ad naseum that CT is a frontrunner state and a terrible supporter of sports teams, generally speaking. We struck gold with Jim Calhoun and the rise of the Big East and the state of the college hoops landscape. And that's all gone now. It's fine. Step back from the ledge. Accept what you have for what it is now. A 19 pt half from Jalen Adams against Stony Brook isn't the resurrection. It's light years away from the 1999 team storming through the Big East tourney or the Dream Season or even Napier's run.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I disagree a bit with Deep. UConn always had a passionate fanbase. My first game at the Field House in the early-70's was SRO. I know because I was standing. And that was for a Yale game. UConn always sold out the Civic Center for Big East games before JC. But Lew Perkins killed off the loyal fans. He would yank seats from long time fans then wouldn't even take their phone calls. That was fine (I guess) when your team is good. But now the casual fans aren't interested and the long-time fans are watching at home.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Wichita State, Cincy, and Villanova should be at XL Center rest should be Gampel. Should play 1 game at Bridgeport and Mohegan Sun. XL Center needs to be refurbish to be a viable arena to attract large crowds again downtown.

I don't mind playing in different venues, actually think it might be cool, but that creates a huge problem for season ticket sales and DONATIONS

I'm thinking a lot of the kids and / or non boosters don't realize the financial importance of the donations, or how much money is raised for the school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom