Limit XL Center games | The Boneyard

Limit XL Center games

Reaction Score
5.4k in attendance tonight at XL Center...time to play more at Gampel or other sites in state (Bridgeport/Mohegan Sun). Only play big games at XL Center like Villanova and Wichita State rest at Gampel. No way Uconn made $$$ off 5.4k in stands tonight.

Reaction Score
5.4k in attendance tonight at XL Center...time to play more at Gampel or other sites in state (Bridgeport/Mohegan Sun). Only play big games at XL Center like Villanova and Wichita State rest at Gampel. No way Uconn made $$$ off 5.4k in stands tonight.
Take the free bus to Hartford and fill up center with students.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Wow it seemed like more than that to me

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That is pretty disappointing if accurate. Whaler had posted a picture earlier and it didn't look much different than any other early season game at the XL Center the last few years so I would have guessed around 9K-10K.
It looked like both end zones were pretty much empty and very sparse in the upper bowl. Around 5-6k makes sense

Reaction Score
Must’ve been ~50 students in total. As a current student I must say it’s really a pain to get to XL on a weeknight. Need to have access to a car or be able to remember to pick up a bus ticket 48 hours before the game (another issue i have ... opportunity for bus tickets shouldn’t close 48 hours prior to tip. Students should be able to walk up to bus, show student ID and ride for free.) I digress

Reaction Score
Must’ve been ~50 students in total. As a current student I must say it’s really a pain to get to XL on a weeknight. Need to have access to a car or be able to remember to pick up a bus ticket 48 hours before the game (another issue i have ... opportunity for bus tickets shouldn’t close 48 hours prior to tip. Students should be able to walk up to bus, show student ID and ride for free.) I digress

Not sure of the duration of ride - but another “free” option for bsktball/hockey :

Bus ridership linking UConn's Storrs campus to Hartford's grows
>>In addition, more than half of the passengers on the route took advantage of the state's new U-Pass CT program, which provides students with unlimited use of all buses and trains within the state (the cost is included in student university fees).<<

Buses run from 5:45 a.m. to midnight on weekdays, 6:30 a.m. to midnight on Saturdays and 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Sundays.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Every single year we go though this. The fans have other things going on at this time of year. A lot can’t make it from ffld county. We had this problem even when we were #2 in the the country in ‘09

Reaction Score
This was my biggest takeaway from last night's game. There was no juice in that building at all and I felt like it rubbed off onto the players.

They should reserve the XL for big conference games only.

Reaction Score
Deepster calling out the board's repeating themes -- It's officially hoops season on the Yard . . .

Cue up the XL season ticket holder to chime in how great it is for big games.
Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just because we've seen the point made before doesn't make it wrong. Midweek early season games against uninteresting opponents are going to draw at the XL. Might as well do them in Storrs where the overhead is much lower.

Thing is, paid seats for last night were significantly higher. These are throw away games for season ticket holders.

Reaction Score
Just because we've seen the point made before doesn't make it wrong. Midweek early season games against uninteresting opponents are going to draw at the XL. Might as well do them in Storrs where the overhead is much lower.

Thing is, paid seats for last night were significantly higher. These are throw away games for season ticket holders.
Agreed. IMO, there should be no game at XL until after final exams. Keep the players home until they've had some games under their belts.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think all home games, except during the Xmas break period and perhaps some marquee games vs national programs should be played on campus. Let the students sit courtside on one side - get them from behind the hoops. The hell with the damn corporate season ticket holders - let them all pitch in and either add corporate boxes to Gampel or build a bigger on campus facility with boxes.

Reaction Score
it would severely impact my attendance personally, but the XL game package should be cut down to maybe 4 or 5 games.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I have a different solution, play fewer chumps AND win more games

Fans are not going to get excited about playing Stony Brook, never have. And Winning cures a lot of ills, that's just the way it is.

I do believe they have to find a way to get more students to Hartford, including free transportation AND tickets

The school also can't afford to lose any more donations, they need the money they get from the Hartford only crowd.

I think the atmosphere is better at GP, but everything else about the facility sucks. From food to drinks to other venues surrounding the building. A night out requires a complete package, many are looking for more than just a two hour basketball game, and not just a long ride before and after.

Reaction Score
I like games over break being at XL honestly. Gampel is not the same when the kids aren’t around.
I think this is the most sensible compromise for the state and the program. If we're going to have to play at XL, make them break games where students are off campus already. And maybe, personally would rather them at Gampel as well, big-time guaranteed sell-out games. That'd be good for what 6+ games a year?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom