Lexi transferring | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Lexi transferring

Reaction Score
2 is technically the correct answer because the NCAA rule states that you lose a year of eligibility if you play in even 1 minute of competition. Lexi played 10 minutes total in 4 games this season. Hardly seems fair so here is a possible solution/ suggestion: Transfer to an AAC school and submit a petition to regain that 3rd year of eligibility. Such a waiver request does not have to involve the NCAA and can be administered entirely by the AAC. With UCONN support this would be a no brainer to get approved within the conference. SMU is less than an hour from her home.
All transfer go through the NCAA. The conferences do not decide.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why recruit 12+ players when all you will ever meaningfully use is 7-8?
Is that even a serious question 'cause i sense some frustration on your part.
  • It takes more than 7-8 players to run an effective practice
  • Players get injured or sick
  • Players transfer
  • The season is ~38 games X 200 minutes per game=hell of alot of minutes

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
All transfer go through the NCAA. The conferences do not decide.

Waiver: An action that sets aside an NCAA rule because a specific, extraordinary circumstance prevents you from meeting the rule. An NCAA school may file a waiver on your behalf; you cannot file a waiver for yourself. The school does not administer the waiver, the conference office or NCAA does.

Transfer terms

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not sure how I did the math, but you are correct! I will send off my comments in the "Inbox conversations" to you before posting so I can get an edit...;)

Before the thread goes off half-cocked and worries about heavy minutes for the key players. I did an analysis of the minutes by team since 2000-01 seasons (all the stats I could find). Here is the snap shot.
View attachment 37191

I used both 10 minutes per game and 15 minutes (15 div.by 40=37.5%) to gage what Geno's trend has been.
In 2011-12 (before Stewie) there were 8 players averaged more than 10 min per game and only 6 averaged more than 15 min. 2 players ave greater than 30 min with that low of 30.2 for Hartley (Hayes average higher).

Geno's recent trend of 7 players the past 3 years is worrisome (I don't have 2018-19 up yet). For the most part, when UConn won, they had 9 players >10 and 7 playing >15. The real issue is the only 7 or potentially 6 playing more than 10 min this year. Mikayla, Batouly or Kyla, need to step it up in AAC play.

Reaction Score
Is that even a serious question 'cause i sense some frustration on your part.
  • It takes more than 7-8 players to run an effective practice
  • Players get injured or sick
  • Players transfer
  • The season is ~38 games X 200 minutes per game=hell of alot of minutes

Not frustrated, just wondering.

Lexi stat in the 4 35-40 pts blowout games that she was not injured is something like 4, 3, 3, 0 min. That I just don't understand. I can't imagine a recruit expects that coming in.

Reaction Score
Waiver: An action that sets aside an NCAA rule because a specific, extraordinary circumstance prevents you from meeting the rule. An NCAA school may file a waiver on your behalf; you cannot file a waiver for yourself. The school does not administer the waiver, the conference office or NCAA does.

Transfer terms
Yes. The NCAA has to approve the waiver. Lexi can not transfer to SMU just because they want her and Uconn says it is OK with them. The NCAA has final say as I understand.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I stated previously that I just don't understand what someone can learn by getting to play 2-3 min a game at garbage time, that cannot be fun. If I have a daughter unless she is a top-notch talent, I would not want her to play for Geno.
Actually, 50 years later, I remember the practices, the bus rides, the guys, the laughs more than the snippets of games I remember. Some baskets, some passes. I remember when Kenny Miller and I got moved up to varsity in our sophomore year. We each busted it so hard, coach sent us to the showers early. We were so exhausted we brought folding chairs into the showers and laughed. WE are like brothers today. and Yeah, I was playing 2-3 minutes a game then. Playing the game can only be understood by the players.

Reaction Score
There is not a "second half" to a year of eligibility.
This is it. Year 2 is done unless she gets a redshirt for this year.

Next year (19-20) would be year 3.
Sorry, but you're incorrect. The NCAA gives student/athletes 5 years to have four years of eligibility; therefore, this is only year two for Lexi. Just like Sadie Edwards did and Samarie Walker before her, by transferring in the fall semester, Lexi will be eligible in the spring of 2020 to complete her "second year of eligibility. Thus, she would then have two more full years to complete her four years of eligibility in her five years.

Reaction Score
Actually, 50 years later, I remember the practices, the bus rides, the guys, the laughs more than the snippets of games I remember. Some baskets, some passes. I remember when Kenny Miller and I got moved up to varsity in our sophomore year. We each busted it so hard, coach sent us to the showers early. We were so exhausted we brought folding chairs into the showers and laughed. WE are like brothers today. and Yeah, I was playing 2-3 minutes a game then. Playing the game can only be understood by the players.

Thanks for the perspective, because I don't understand from just a fan point of view.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I wish her the best of luck. Like the others before her, I will follow her career.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but you're incorrect. The NCAA gives student/athletes 5 years to have four years of eligibility; therefore, this is only year two for Lexi. Just like Sadie Edwards did and Samarie Walker before her, by transferring in the fall semester, Lexi will be eligible in the spring of 2020 to complete her "second year of eligibility. Thus, she would then have two more full years to complete her four years of eligibility in her five years.

No.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

That's not how it works. Sadie and Samarie transferred as freshman so they became eligible after the first semester of their sophomore year and then had 2 more years of eligibility. Lexi is a sophomore and has used up her second year of eligibility by playing in 4 games. She'll need to petition the NCAA to get her 2nd year back.

Reaction Score
this one plus months of games cost her her second year she has 2 years of playing left

Reaction Score
Maybe TAMU? If she wants to deal with that situation there
I watched 3 offensive plays of "that situation" earlier only one person touched the ball after inbound to shoot. Guess who? I would never wish that on Lexi.

Reaction Score
Regarding transferring, the AAC is a National Letter of Intent conference. That may require no competition for 2 years if transferring to another AAC school. There is a provision for the opportunity to file a waiver to petition to eliminate the 2nd year of no competiton requirement. I would think it highly unlikely that UConn would not support granting such a waiver.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes. The NCAA has to approve the waiver. Lexi can not transfer to SMU just because they want her and Uconn says it is OK with them. The NCAA has final say as I understand.
Since there are all kinds of waivers, let's make sure we are talking about the same thing. The specific waiver request I am talking about for Lexi is a request to retain a year of eligibility for THIS SEASON. The rationale is that she has only played 10 minutes this season. If Lexi were to transfer to another AAC school this waiver request can be entirely adjudicated by the AAC. The NCCA has delegated broad powers to the athletic conferences regarding Intraconference waivers. The rules and approval process vary by sport and conference. Some conferences simply require agreement between the Athletic Directors to grant this type of waiver others require a majority vote of member institutions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Google says you are wrong about Sadie.
Sadie Edwards - Women's Basketball - USC Athletics

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I stated previously that I just don't understand what someone can learn by getting to play 2-3 min a game at garbage time, that cannot be fun. If I have a daughter unless she is a top-notch talent, I would not want her to play for Geno.
As has been stated at least twice, the players learn during practice not during a game. If you don't learn during practice, then maybe you will play at garbage time.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I watched 3 offensive plays of "that situation" earlier only one person touched the ball after inbound to shoot. Guess who? I would never wish that on Lexi.
And yet the announcers are in awe of that person's play...

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Why recruit 12+ players when all you will ever meaningfully use is 7-8?
I actually believe that if Geno had 12 players that were equally able to play his offense and defense during practices, then they all would certainly be playing meaningful minutes. It is well known that Geno doesn't really seem to be aware of individual "positive" stats during the game, like scoring, rebounds, assists, because he has taken many a player out when they are close to a double-double or triple-double. So I could see him subbing in and out if he had that many players, maybe even 5 at a time if he had 10 really, really good players.
I doubt that it will ever happen but I can dream...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Regarding transferring, the AAC is a National Letter of Intent conference. That may require no competition for 2 years if transferring to another AAC school. There is a provision for the opportunity to file a waiver to petition to eliminate the 2nd year of no competiton requirement. I would think it highly unlikely that UConn would not support granting such a waiver.
Besides the Ivy League are there any NON NLI conferences?

Reaction Score
Why is the concept of earning minutes in practice so difficult to understand? This isn’t youth soccer where everybody plays.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom