Lexi transferring | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lexi transferring

Reaction Score
I spent years helping my kids build confidence in themselves, on and off the court and the playing fields. They were very successful athletes in high school... to the point where they believed they were good enough to play bball, lacrosse and football at ranked division 1 powerhouses. They were darn good and incredibly hard workers, but everything is relative, and they were simply not talented enough to play up at that level (my opinion was supported by coaches I spoke with.)
A lack of size, uber talent or quickness can be compensated for in high school, in large part, by out-working, out-hustling and out-conditioning the other guy/gal. When it came to effort and determination, my kids took a backseat to no one (just like Kyla!) It killed me to tell them to scale down their dreams, be more 'realistic.'

It was really difficult (and personally painful) to convince them, but they eventually understood.
And they chose schools where they were able to succeed in sports and in the classroom.
Coaches make mistakes in evaluating talent; kids make mistakes in choosing schools. It happens.

Lexi is a great kid, and I wish her all the success in the world. I believe if she and her parents evaluate her situation objectively, they'll find a better fit for Lexi than UConn. She deserves nothing less.
Great post. I believe it helps if a person has gone through this process as a parent, coach, or both to understand how real and important it is. Many kids and parents get caught up in the hype and listen to the wrong people when making their choices.

Reaction Score
I hope she succeeds in her new school. Can some one confirm is she will have 3 years of eligibility left ? Or does she lose 1/2 the year ?

She loses all of this year. Thus she will have either 1.5 years left if she chooses to start play after first semester of 2019, or else two years if she waits and starts November of 2020. I assume she will opt to start after first semester in 2019. This assumes she doesn't get some kind of special waiver from the NCAA, but if she plans to start playing in mid-December anyway, the probability of a waiver probably isn't all that high.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tara is 65, Geno 64, Muffet 62

In the last upmteen years the visibility of Geno has occupied more space. I would tend to believe most recruits are not searching the age of all coaches they may play for--SO, should a coach or two infer that Geno is near that age and may not be there for them It could affect their decisions. Remember --if they were told the truth, why would the go elsewhere?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I am disappointed in UCONN coaches for not getting the most of their bench players. This is not a news flash...Its been going on for a long time.....IMO, it will hurt recruiting...You cannot beat up 6 or 7 players for 5 months and expect them to be healthy by March.
So how do you know Geno isn't getting all out of his bench? Which bench player do you believe justifies more minutes than they are getting?

You realize that especially after the start of conference play, Geno gives his subs a lot of time, right?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
"I would like to thank the coaching and support staffs, the fans and most importantly, my teammates, at UConn," said Gordon. "I am grateful for my time at Connecticut. I've learned what it takes to be part of a championship program and I look forward to taking this experience to the next stop in my basketball and academic career."

Reaction Score
I am disappointed in UCONN coaches for not getting the most of their bench players. This is not a news flash...Its been going on for a long time.....IMO, it will hurt recruiting...You cannot beat up 6 or 7 players for 5 months and expect them to be healthy by March.
Do you think the coaches don’t work these players ? The bench just doesn’t grasped the effort needed or the pace of the higher level of play

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Beating up" 6 or 7 players didn't seem to be an issue before the Stewie class. Now for you it is?

Yes, empirically/historically it makes no sense. And any notion that every team mate is not challenged to be their best is just a fanciful notion. About 3 weeks ago in a practice day interview, can't recall the question, Lou allowed as how everyone in practice gets the same treatment.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

The only thing that would really hurt recruiting is if we no longer had these particular coaches anymore. And no, you can't beat up 6 or 7 players for 5 months but soon we will be in the American Conf, games. Then they can beat up 9 or 10 players for 5 months. It's called conditioning. And ours is the best.

Reaction Score
Thank you Lexi! I wholeheartedly wanted to see her have her chance to shine but I guess it just wasnt meant to be. I really did appreciate and enjoy seeing her being such a positive cheerleader on the bench. Good luck to her wherever she settles to continue her collegiate academic and basketball career.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I recall when she visited UConn unofficially with good friend, Christyn Williams. She received an offer on that visit, I believe.

But, she was part of a recruiting class with a couple of similar players, and then Christyn Williams joins the following season.

Texas could definitely use a wing player with her size, especially for the 2019 season. I'd be excited if she landed in Austin.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I hope she succeeds in her new school. Can someone confirm is she will have 3 years of eligibility left ? Or does she lose 1/2 the year ?
2 years
2 is technically the correct answer because the NCAA rule states that you lose a year of eligibility if you play in even 1 minute of competition. Lexi played 10 minutes total in 4 games this season. Hardly seems fair so here is a possible solution/ suggestion: Transfer to an AAC school and submit a petition to regain that 3rd year of eligibility. Such a waiver request does not have to involve the NCAA and can be administered entirely by the AAC. With UCONN support this would be a no brainer to get approved within the conference. SMU is less than an hour from her home.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the last upmteen years the visibility of Geno has occupied more space. I would tend to believe most recruits are not searching the age of all coaches they may play for--SO, should a coach or two infer that Geno is near that age and may not be there for them It could affect their decisions. Remember --if they were told the truth, why would the go elsewhere? Too Uconn the White Girls school wasn't true either.
Muffett is 63.... Thank You....

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think it was both.
Sorry @MilfordHusky, I guess I brain-spasmed and replied to your post. Didn't mean to.

I was just wondering the other day whether she would go at the break play out the full season. Now I know.

Well, I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I'm happy she gets a second chance somewhere where she might be able to shine.

Still it makes me sad to see her go. She and her mom were so excited, and it was endearing to hear/read about mom trying to recruit other kids.

I will miss her.

And now we have yet another 2-person class. Gads.

Reaction Score
I stated previously that I just don't understand what someone can learn by getting to play 2-3 min a game at garbage time, that cannot be fun. If I have a daughter unless she is a top-notch talent, I would not want her to play for Geno.

Reaction Score
Yes, empirically/historically it makes no sense. And any notion that every team mate is not challenged to be their best is just a fanciful notion. About 3 weeks ago in a practice day interview, can't recall the question, Lou allowed as how everyone in practice gets the same treatment.
What you say is true. But you also realize there is perception, reality, and entitlement that tend to adjust a personal view of that which is happening to them and around them.
Preception i.e your view of things sometimes makes that your reality. Psychology101 for trial attorneys. (at least they said so on Shark)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There is not a "second half" to a year of eligibility.
This is it. Year 2 is done unless she gets a redshirt for this year.

Next year (19-20) would be year 3.
Not sure how I did the math, but you are correct! I will send off my comments in the "Inbox conversations" to you before posting so I can get an edit...;)

Before the thread goes off half-cocked and worries about heavy minutes for the key players. I did an analysis of the minutes by team since 2000-01 seasons (all the stats I could find). Here is the snap shot.
min per game.PNG

I used both 10 minutes per game and 15 minutes (15 div.by 40=37.5%) to gage what Geno's trend has been.
In 2011-12 (before Stewie) there were 8 players averaged more than 10 min per game and only 6 averaged more than 15 min. 2 players ave greater than 30 min with that low of 30.2 for Hartley (Hayes average higher).

Geno's recent trend of 7 players the past 3 years is worrisome (I don't have 2018-19 up yet). For the most part, when UConn won, they had 9 players >10 and 7 playing >15. The real issue is the only 7 or potentially 6 playing more than 10 min this year. Mikayla, Batouly or Kyla, need to step it up in AAC play.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I stated previously that I just don't understand what someone can learn by getting to play 2-3 min a game at garbage time, that cannot be fun. If I have a daughter unless she is a top-notch talent, I would not want her to play for Geno.
With an attitude like that I'm pretty sure, regardless of talent, that Geno wouldn't have your daughter playing for him either.

Reaction Score
I used both 10 minutes per game and 15 minutes (15 div.by 40=37.5%) to gage what Geno's trend has been.
In 2011-12 (before Stewie) there were 8 players averaged more than 10 min per game and only 6 averaged more than 15 min. 2 players ave greater than 30 min with that low of 30.2 for Hartley (Hayes average higher).

Geno's recent trend of 7 players the past 3 years is worrisome (I don't have 2018-19 up yet). For the most part, when UConn won, they had 9 players >10 and 7 playing >15. The real issue is the only 7 or potentially 6 playing more than 10 min this year. Mikayla, Batouly or Kyla, need to step it up in AAC play.

Why recruit 12+ players when all you will ever meaningfully use is 7-8?

Reaction Score
Maybe TAMU? If she wants to deal with that situation there

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Tara is 65, Geno 64, Muffet 62
Interesting! of the top players this year; Geno got 0, MM got 0, and Tara got the home town girl. Any pattern here or is it too small a sample size. I remember how happy some of us were when Jaz was hired because her age would be more appealing to recruits. Just typing out loud

Reaction Score
With an attitude like that I'm pretty sure, regardless of talent, that Geno wouldn't have your daughter playing for him either.

It's a good thing I don't have a daughter to worry about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom