Lexi Gordon | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lexi Gordon

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I do feel badly for Lexi......I remember how excited we all were when UConn snared another Texas recruit away from the local powers and how proud she was to take on the challenge that is UConn basketball.....hang in there kid!!

I don't understand why you feel badly. She placed herself in this position. Yeah, I know she is just a kid. There has to be scores of articles discussing how hard UCONN program is. How tough the conditioning demands are. Etc. If she flunked the conditioning test once did she think it would get easier for 2nd, 3rd times? A pity party is not what she needs.

Reaction Score
Coach Bill didn’t provide much detail. Maybe I’m confusing this with something else, but I think all the players have to run a mile in a certain time, maybe 6:00, 6:30, or so. I’m not sure if there are other pass/fail tests.
Milford---

A year or 3 ago--Geno worked with Marines from R.I. who "trained/conditioned" his team, is he still doing that?? I still have a suspicion that Gordon's only issues are not Conditioning--it boggle my minicule mind that a kid who has run run run basketball for upteen years is out of condition--did she eat too many McD's between HS and college?? Not likely.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Milford---
A year or 3 ago--Geno worked with Marines from R.I. who "trained/conditioned" his team, is he still doing that?? I still have a suspicion that Gordon's only issues are not Conditioning--it boggle my minicule mind that a kid who has run run run basketball for upteen years is out of condition--did she eat too many McD's between HS and college?? Not likely.
What you are missing is the immense level of conditioning it takes to start basketball practice at UCONN. You are given a off season workout program. Even the very best HS players cannot even concieve of the level of conditioning required to play at UCONN. Lexi ( maybe it was Andi) was recently quoted as saying that you think is going to be hard but you have no idea until you actually get here- or something along those lines.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't understand why you feel badly. She placed herself in this position. Yeah, I know she is just a kid. There has to be scores of articles discussing how hard UCONN program is. How tough the conditioning demands are. Etc. If she flunked the conditioning test once did she think it would get easier for 2nd, 3rd times? A pity party is not what she needs.
Doesn't Gordon deserve a pity party, others get one and some not so visible. What we are all alluding is apparently not FACT. So maybe she is may she isn't. As I posted with Milford Husky--Gordon has been running and running for years and years--how far out of conditioning can she be; look at her, no blimp, no weight issues--what then? Thyroid--could be that doesn't show. But still I go back to her AAU/HS schedules of running. Maybe Geno and Team are telling us ---hey fans this ain't your's to see/private.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can we all support the sentiment in @stamfordhusky post and stop repeating this notion of a failed conditioning test. This has not been established and yet it has been repeated in 3 separate post in this thread as if were fact.

Reaction Score
Yes, I had seen that. But it says nothing about "finally" passing her test - just that she passed it. And it says nothing about her ever failing it, or about Geno being upset with her conditioning.

It seems like there has been a lot of comment on her conditioning on this thread, with no evidence that I have seen.
I think I remember that thread. I'm not going to go back and research it, but IIRC the "conditioning test" was sort of a humorous figure of speech. In any case I remember posting (tongue only partially in cheek) that no freshman has ever passed it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What you are missing is the immense level of conditioning it takes to start basketball practice at UCONN. You are given a off season workout program. Even the very best HS players cannot even concieve of the level of conditioning required to play at UCONN. Lexi ( maybe it was Andi) was recently quoted as saying that you think is going to be hard but you have no idea until you actually get here- or something alomng those lines.
Anyone who has followed UConn WBB know the drill. A year or 3 the Marines ran that program. Raised many teens Girls--and still I doubt it is ALL conditioning.
I know a guy and a girl (mine) that was run through a military program run by the 82nd, the Guy went thru another military program ----they got conditioned. My daughter was not athletic she was a book worm. Each made it through. I had some of that 82 nd training for 2 weeks, I called them perverted in the intensity of training. Is Geno harder, longer, more sleepless ? some kids can do it without being Jocks--and Gordon is a Jock
I still have my doubts.

Reaction Score
Can we all support the sentiment in @stamfordhusky post and stop repeating this notion of a failed conditioning test. This has not been established and yet it has been repeated in 3 separate post in this thread as if were fact.
Hurray! Finally--We had no fact on anything associated with Gordon. Finally--Great I doubted and think it's none of our business---but Geno would do us a favor and say that. What these kids do or don't--you know.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Anyone who has followed UConn WBB know the drill. A year or 3 the Marines ran that program. Raised many teens Girls--and still I doubt it is ALL conditioning.
I know a guy and a girl (mine) that was run through a military program run by the 82nd, the Guy went thru another military program ----they got conditioned. My daughter was not athletic she was a book worm. Each made it through. I had some of that 82 nd training for 2 weeks, I called them perverted in the intensity of training. Is Geno harder, longer, more sleepless ? some kids can do it without being Jocks--and Gordon is a Jock
I still have my doubts.
That's not what we are talking about. What we are talking about is a conditioning test that is given BEFORE the start of official practices. When the players depart UCONN they are given a very regimented conditioning program that they must complete at home. You can't pass that conditioning test without doing the workout program at home. BTW doing the at home program DOES NOT gurantee that you can pass the conditioning test. If you can't pass the test you don't get to practice until you pass and therefore you fall behind.
What you are talking about is the conditioning program that the team goes through as a team once they get back to campus which involved the Marines two years ago.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Doesn't Gordon deserve a pity party, others get one and some not so visible. What we are all alluding is apparently not FACT. So maybe she is may she isn't. As I posted with Milford Husky--Gordon has been running and running for years and years--how far out of conditioning can she be; look at her, no blimp, no weight issues--what then? Thyroid--could be that doesn't show. But still I go back to her AAU/HS schedules of running. Maybe Geno and Team are telling us ---hey fans this ain't your's to see/private.

Maybe she only thought she was running. I experienced what is conditioning and what is CONDITIONING. In high school I played basketball, baseball, and football. Every school day I jogged 2.5 miles down from the ridge we lived on. I alternated sprinting and jogging after sports practice back uphill to our house. Uphill in Pennsylvania is seriously uphill. I played baseball in college and participated in intramural softball, basketball, football, and wrestling. I also lifted weights. I considered myself to be in exception condition. In my sophomore year after I won my weight class in intramural wrestling for the second time; the wresting coach asked me to join the wrestling team. After my first practice I literally crawled to the locker room. I crawled into the showers, pushed myself up the wall to turn on the water. Slid back down and remained there for 20 or so minutes before I could wash. About 4 weeks later the wrestling coach said since I could not keep up in practice I should just leave the team. And I thought I was making progress. There is another level of conditioning.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe she only thought she was running. I experienced what is conditioning and what is CONDITIONING. In high school I played basketball, baseball, and football. every school day I jogged 2.5 miles down from the ridge we lived on. I alternated sprinting and jogging after sports practice back uphill to our house. Uphill in Pennsylvania is seriously uphill. I played baseball in college and participated in intramural softball, basketball, football, and wrestling. I also lifted weights. I considered myself to be in exception condition. In my sophomore year after I won my weight class in intramural wrestling for the second time; the wresting coach asked me to join the wrestling team. After my first practice I literally crawled to the locker room. I crawled into the showers pushed myself up the wall to turn on the water. Slid back down and remained there for 20 or so minutes before I could wash. About 4 weeks later the wrestling coach said since I could keep up practice I should just leave the team. And I thought I was making progress. There is another level of conditioning.
Exactly, and after that level of conditioning you are probably still two or so levels away from the conditioning that UCONN WBB requires TO START PRACTICEs.
Here is a Kate Fagan article from 2012 describing 6 4 6 conditioning test used by ND and PSU.
Fagan: Basketball players fear The Workout

Last edited:
Reaction Score
True. Somewhere I read, however, that athletes respond to conditioning exercises at various rates depending on their DNA. Two athletes may undergo the same training and put forth the same effort, and one will drop fat and gain muscle much faster than the other. If Lexi is a slow respond-er, this will take time, and nothing can change that. Of course, this is all speculation. We do not even know that this is the problem. From the little I've seen of her, my guess is that Lexi will become a significant contributor to UConn BB.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
True. Somewhere I read, however, that athletes respond to conditioning exercises at various rates depending on their DNA. Two athletes may undergo the same training and put forth the same effort, and one will drop fat and gain muscle much faster than the other. If Lexi is a slow respond-er, this will take time, and nothing can change that. Of course, this is all speculation. We do not even know that this is the problem. From the little I've seen of her, my guess is that Lexi will become a significant contributor to UConn BB.

When did she orally commit to UCONN? At least a year ago? I would think in one year she should have been working very hard and irrespective of a DNA lag she should be in condition. Worst case is she shows up at UCONN this summer and Irwin and Molly were telling her it was HELL. Every other player on the team related the same horror stories. Dangerfield said I worked out and work on my game. But yet she is not in condition? Even with DNA as a factor she should have been ready. By now her reasons are probably excuses.

Reaction Score
When did she orally commit to UCONN? At least a year ago? I would think in one year she should have been working very hard and irrespective of a DNA lag she should be in condition. Worst case is she shows up at UCONN this summer and Irwin and Molly were telling her it was HELL. Every other player on the team related the same horror stories. Dangerfield said I worked out and work on my game. But yet she is not in condition? Even with DNA as a factor she should have been ready. By now her reasons are probably excuses.
We are not aware that Lexi has used DNA as an excuse. This was simply my wild speculation, as I said in my post. We don't even know that conditioning is in fact the problem.

Reaction Score

No one has provided any evidence that she is not in condition. If you have some, please share it. If not, please don't repeat rumors without evidence.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's nothing personal.
Why is it harsh?
Because Molly has been on a Division I (UCONN's) roster for two years now and was recruited by other division I schools. It was not only harsh but also insulting.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
We are not aware that Lexi has used DNA as an excuse. This was simply my wild speculation, as I said in my post. We don't even know that conditioning is in fact the problem.

No kidding! :) I was just using your speculation as a worst case and still think she should have been in proper condition.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
No one has provided any evidence that she is not in condition. If you have some, please share it. If not, please don't repeat rumors without evidence.
Actually you have me by the local loops. I assumed what I read about failing multiple conditioning tests was accurate and it is not:

LEXI = passed her Conditioning tests.
all the coaches were there. Coaches said they were impressed with her improvement, since coming back from home. word is All the Freshmen passed
MYRA = had a strong summer (AAU) . Grew almost a couple Inches and is now 6'0"
CoachBill, Aug 4, 2017
So she passed her conditioning test prior to 8/4/2017. Apparently worked on it while she was at home for part of the summer.

But then we have a Geno comment:
UConn's Exhibition Opener Should Show Geno Auriemma Plenty
Auriemma said Gordon is smart and she makes shots, but she can’t keep up with the pace. Coombs, he said, has the quickness to keep pace but she is tentative, reminding Auriemma of how Dangerfield practiced last season.
So what does quickness mean?

Reaction Score
Actually you have me by the local loops. I assumed what I read about failing multiple conditioning tests was accurate and it is not:..................LEXI = passed her Conditioning tests................all the coaches were there. Coaches said they were impressed with her improvement, since coming back from home. word is All the Freshmen passed.......CoachBill, Aug 4, 2017So she passed her conditioning test prior to 8/4/2017. ..........
Gotta love facts!

Reaction Score
It's nothing personal.

Why is it harsh? There's nothing wrong with being a D2 athlete. I was responding to a poster that said MB will be recruited over. You can make the case to refute my post if you can. I hope I'm wrong and she kills it rest of the way.

I think she is a Div 1 player. I just think that when we compare (because we see the discrepancy between top 7 vs bench) her to the top 7 players she falls short. For example this stuff about hwo she doesn't look at the basket is overstated. Do you recall a few years ago - Ekmark's sophomore year- UCONN was blowing a team out and CE took an early 3? Right after that Geno yanked her. Geno didn't want her taking that shot imo because he didn't classify her as a scorer. IMO he felt UCONN can get that shot anytime they want. But CE can't open enough to get that shot consistently so why take the shot? It's almost like when you hear excerpts now from Geno in a practice in which he is yelling at Lou why she is taking the 3. He's telling her - "you can't get open enough" (IMO HE IS CHALLENGING LOU-- BY DIGGING INTO HER PRIDE - IE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO GET OPEN ENOUGH SO YOU DON'T DESERVE TO SHOOT AS MUCH. Though it's not to be taken literal regarding Lou - I'm sure. It's the coach being a coach. ) You want to run plays that are good vs near all opponents. Lou can actually get shots off vs near all with good chance to go in. CE couldn't.

CE was not going to be a big time scorer at UCONN. SO Gneo didn't want her in a halfcourt set taking a quick 3 without a few passes. She wasn't KML in terms of accuracy. And with Bent, her shot isn't that great to start with. There is NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY in a halfcourt set that she is looking at the rim with any seriousness to shoot unless she is 15 feet and in - and even then she'll be looking to pass because the team has so many more talented offensive scorers. Geo would hook her so fast if she does (unless the ball goes in but eventually it wouldn't if she were to continue. OFC if she hits them with high regularity . . . but she probably isn't that good yet as a shooter to "test" Geno. :) ) . Geno did the same thing years ago with Meghan Gardler. He has said on TV that he expects players to do things on the court in college that they were good at in h/s. Molly Bent was not recruited for her shooting scoring prowess. She'll defend, she'll pass and she'll dribble. The shooting will come last.

And as of right now, imo our team has blown out everyone - and many were top caliber teams. Those top caliber teams kept many of their starters/ top tier players in late. Well ofc Molly isn't going to look good vs them. She wasn't a top tier recruit that could break into a top 20 lineup. So ofc she is going to look bad early this year. Yet she was good enough to play 5 minutes vs FLa State last last year as a frosh. She'll improve. She can be a nice small fish in Div 1. She is just too young right now.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So why did I start this by saying I believed that conditioning was Lexi's problem. Along with Geno's comments I heard Lexi in her interview on Huskies All Access. "It's been hard and I know it's going to continue to be hard. It's just trying to stay at the same pace as everybody else and just continue to try and perform at the same level that you do when you're not tired when you're tired". So maybe I heard 2+2 when it was really 1+1, but that's what I surmised.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford---

I recall the Huskies' work with the Marines, and I know that, in every year, the conditioning is rigorous. I'm just responding to the idea that there is some sort of quantifiable passing/failing score on conditioning tests, as suggested a few days ago.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What you are missing is the immense level of conditioning it takes to start basketball practice at UCONN. You are given a off season workout program. Even the very best HS players cannot even concieve of the level of conditioning required to play at UCONN. Lexi ( maybe it was Andi) was recently quoted as saying that you think is going to be hard but you have no idea until you actually get here- or something along those lines.
I think a similar statement has been made by Andi, Lexi, Meg, Mikayla, Crystal, Lou, Pheesa, Brianna Banks, et al.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to what it means when we hear that "Lexi passed all her conditioning tests." What are the tests? Has anyone failed them this year or in other years? Is Geno saying that she "can't keep up" physically, mentally, or in some other way?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom