Lexi Gordon | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lexi Gordon

Reaction Score
I recall the Huskies' work with the Marines, and I know that, in every year, the conditioning is rigorous. I'm just responding to the idea that there is some sort of quantifiable passing/failing score on conditioning tests, as suggested a few days ago.
We agreed on Gordon, I too would like to know more. I was wondering too about the Marine Conditioning unit. No disagreement.

Reaction Score
That's not what we are talking about. What we are talking about is a conditioning test that is given BEFORE the start of official practices. When the players depart UCONN they are given a very regimented conditioning program that they must complete at home. You can't pass that conditioning test without doing the workout program at home. BTW doing the at home program DOES NOT gurantee that you can pass the conditioning test. If you can't pass the test you don't get to practice until you pass and therefore you fall behind.
What you are talking about is the conditioning program that the team goes through as a team once they get back to campus which involved the Marines two years ago.

No I was talking about the conditioning one gets naturally. Humans that work in physical occupations or walk long distances naturally, or play sports regularly either sand lot or HS or AAU--should gain a level of conditioning that allow them to pass the Uconn test.
The final Level of a UConn player can ONLY be obtained over a period of time. I would not expect Megan to be at her senior level as a frosh, nor for that matter-any other.
Nearly every year we hear and post on the riggers of the Conditioning and the test--nothing new to us long time fans.
The highlighted section above : are you saying NO Uconn kid ever passed this coming in--only MeganGardler may have known the contents of that test and prepared for it prior to Uconn. If in coming student's can't pass that--maybe the should give it to the Army or Marines for their Basic training.

Thanks great exchange without asking about a particular students conditioning. Milford Husky and I would like to know what is the content of that
test and is it pass fail.

Reaction Score
Actually you have me by the local loops. I assumed what I read about failing multiple conditioning tests was accurate and it is not:

LEXI = passed her Conditioning tests.
all the coaches were there. Coaches said they were impressed with her improvement, since coming back from home. word is All the Freshmen passed
MYRA = had a strong summer (AAU) . Grew almost a couple Inches and is now 6'0"
CoachBill, Aug 4, 2017
So she passed her conditioning test prior to 8/4/2017. Apparently worked on it while she was at home for part of the summer.

But then we have a Geno comment:
UConn's Exhibition Opener Should Show Geno Auriemma Plenty
Auriemma said Gordon is smart and she makes shots, but she can’t keep up with the pace. Coombs, he said, has the quickness to keep pace but she is tentative, reminding Auriemma of how Dangerfield practiced last season.
So what does quickness mean?

Wheww----finally, FACTS. I agree with Stanford--we were , some unknowingly, to rumors, non-facts. Dangerous ground about any Uconn Kid

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No I was talking about the conditioning one gets naturally. Humans that work in physical occupations or walk long distances naturally, or play sports regularly either sand lot or HS or AAU--should gain a level of conditioning that allow them to pass the Uconn test.
The final Level of a UConn player can ONLY be obtained over a period of time. I would not expect Megan to be at her senior level as a frosh, nor for that matter-any other.
Nearly every year we hear and post on the riggers of the Conditioning and the test--nothing new to us long time fans.
The highlighted section above : are you saying NO Uconn kid ever passed this coming in--only MeganGardler may have known the contents of that test and prepared for it prior to Uconn. If in coming student's can't pass that--maybe the should give it to the Army or Marines for their Basic training.

Thanks great exchange without asking about a particular students conditioning. Milford Husky and I would like to know what is the content of that
test and is it pass fail.
I don't know the specifics of UCONN's conditioning test.
There are a few things I'm struggling to get across:
1) The normal exercise you describe or AAU pickup games is not going to get you to pass a UCONN conditioning test.
2) The only way to prepare for the test is to do the prescribed at home works out.
3) The test is given before you are allowed to start basketball practices.
4) Failure to pass the test is not necessarily the end of the world but it does put you behind because when your teammates are learning basketball related things like defense and offense you are probably working on conditioning. You are behind by not passing the test.
I am only familiar with the conditioning test that my Daughter had to pass each year again before the start of official practices.
One year it was a timed 2.5 mile run on the track I forget what the required time was but I know that the Guards got less time to complete it than post player.
One year is was a time sprint 6 4 6 X3 each completed in under 2 minutes. With a rest of 30 seconds between each.
Kate Fagan describes the drill in this article.
Fagan: Basketball players fear The Workout
One year is was a 3.5 mile timed cross country run designed to have as many up hill climbs as possible.
Vivian stringer at Rutgers does something somebody call Stations of the Cross because it was designed to inflict maximum punish with puking buckets provided.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Lexi's "conditioning problem" is more about mental conditioning. I am thinking that right now she is second-guessing herself and not yet playing her game. More of a difficulty with her personality type in the face of all the challenges causing her to play slow. Perhaps she has not yet found her way out of "trying too hard to be great". I'm thinking somewhat similar to Chong's issues.

JS

Reaction Score
Can we lock this thread?
Understandable sentiment. Perhaps the thread looks better to you now and has ongoing value.

Problem started with a Boneyard Rules violation IMO. We don't trash the players, and a snide or flip comment that someone is a D-2 player does just that. Another rules violation -- personal name-calling or attack -- occurred during the fall-out.

The violation and its progeny have been removed. Apologies to those whose posts are gone because they quoted deleted posts.

As far as the substance of "keeping up with the pace," now revealed as unsubstantiated in the conditioning context, all freshmen, and most opponents, are shocked at the pace of UConn's play.

Conditioning may or may not play a part for some players, mainly opponents. A coach has to deal with that, if at all, through substitutions.

But the UConn pace is mainly a wrenching change -- in terms of thought process -- from all of a player's long past experience. UConn freshmen take varying times to adjust to it. Most opponents don't have the time, ability, and/or coaching to do it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ok guys we get the picture....Head bang.Let's stop beating a dead horse. Maybe the answer is to just give it
time and take a 'wait and see' approach before passing judgment of any type.
Specific to Lexi's situation I fully agree. As it relates to conditioning in general and UCONN specifically, I think it is very worthwhile to continue the discussion. Just amazed that so few seem to realize that conditioning is such a big positive discriminator for the UCONN program and fail to appreciate the tremendous hard work it takes to get there.

Reaction Score
I have never understood why the coaches can't share a bit more info about players like Gordon and Coombs, if for no other reason but to squash some of the wild rumors that always swirl around. I still wonder what happened to Sadie Edwards, who has shown talent at both ends of the court at USC. There was the usual speculation, but never anything definitive. And Banks leaving was certainly a mystery, and I was very sad to see her go. She went from being very productive in many games, to playing very few minutes. I expect many here don't think that we fans NEED to know this stuff, but seems like the most supportive fan base in women's basketball could be "let in" on a bit of info. I think Coombs and Gordon playing so little in blowouts doesn't make sense, if you want to bring players along, but , of course, what do I know. Ah ,yes, I know nothing. And that's my point. Excuse my ranting but, finally, I would expect that that is not going to change as long as Geno is there.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have never understood why the coaches can't share a bit more info about players like Gordon and Coombs, if for no other reason but to squash some of the wild rumors that always swirl around. I still wonder what happened to Sadie Edwards, who has shown talent at both ends of the court at USC. There was the usual speculation, but never anything definitive. And Banks leaving was certainly a mystery, and I was very sad to see her go. She went from being very productive in many games, to playing very few minutes. I expect many here don't think that we fans NEED to know this stuff, but seems like the most supportive fan base in women's basketball could be "let in" on a bit of info. I think Coombs and Gordon playing so little in blowouts doesn't make sense, if you want to bring players along, but , of course, what do I know. Ah ,yes, I know nothing. And that's my point. Excuse my ranting but, finally, I would expect that that is not going to change as long as Geno is there.
The players are still people with a right to privacy. A bunch of folks squabbling on a fan forum dont have a right to violate their privacy to satisfy their curiosity or quash the wild-eyed speculation that goes on here.

Reaction Score
Because Molly has been on a Division I (UCONN's) roster for two years now and was recruited by other division I schools. It was not only harsh but also insulting.

I'm sorry if you were insulted. I truly hope she has a wonderful year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm sorry if you were insulted. I truly hope she has a wonderful year.
I was insulted and reacted poorly, for which I apologize. We now both share the same hope not just for Molly but all the UCONN players.

Reaction Score
I was insulted and reacted poorly, for which I apologize. We now both share the same hope not just for Molly but all the UCONN players.

100% agreed!

Let's grab a big win tonight, then I have 8th row for ND. can't wait to get to my first game of the year. All good.

Reaction Score
The players are still people with a right to privacy. A bunch of folks squabbling on a fan forum dont have a right to violate their privacy to satisfy their curiosity or quash the wild-eyed speculation that goes on here.

But they are , to a degree, public people. And an argument can be made that their coaches do have some responsibility to protect them from the squabbling and wild-eyed speculation, which is not going to stop otherwise.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
100% agreed!

Let's grab a big win tonight, then I have 8th row for ND. can't wait to get to my first game of the year. All good.
8th row huh? Now I'm insulted. Not only that, I find the fact that you continue to find terrific avatars immensely insulting. You and HuskyNan. Go on the both of you, just keep it up.

Reaction Score
100% agreed!

Justine couldn't get you a front-row seat, or press table, for the game with her alma mater??

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
At every program (and in every sport) one scholarship player resides at the end of the bench. It's a fact; granted, playing time is different based on depth and the competition.

Living in Texas, I did keep up some with Lexi's recruitment. I was surprised she was offered by UConn. More surprised that she stayed committed and signed despite the additional verbal commitments to UConn at her position by more highly-ranked players.

While players certainly have the chance to improve and move up the depth chart, there are plenty of players who remain buried on the depth chart, but remain part of the team all four years. Conversely, some players see the writing on the wall and make the tough decision to move elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess I am a little late to the party. I have skimmed some of the post here... mainly because of how disgusted I was that people are attacking this young woman. UCONN is five games in. Four of the first five games have been against the top 25, and Michigan State is on the cusp of being a top 25 team.
People want to know why a freshman is not playing more minutes when UCONN started the season how most teams end their season... with top notch competition. Why isn't Lexie playing more minutes??? Because we are not playing cupcake teams. Because she is not Megan Walker who is extremely impressive.

Why has this conversation gone on for four pages? Seriously?

Reaction Score
Justine couldn't get you a front-row seat, or press table, for the game with her alma mater??

I know Im so dissaponted!! Last year I sat no joke like third row most games and was able to hear all the communication between the girls and Geno. It an amazing experience

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I guess I am a little late to the party. I have skimmed some of the post here... mainly because of how disgusted I was that people are attacking this young woman. UCONN is five games in. Four of the first five games have been against the top 25, and Michigan State is on the cusp of being a top 25 team.
People want to know why a freshman is not playing more minutes when UCONN started the season how most teams end their season... with top notch competition. Why isn't Lexie playing more minutes??? Because we are not playing cupcake teams. Because she is not Megan Walker who is extremely impressive.

Why has this conversation gone on for four pages? Seriously?
LoL.:D The conversation has gone on for four pages because we did not have you to straighten us out. Where you been anyway?

Reaction Score
We are all wondering/curious because we are fans and that’s what we do. Whatever the reason may or may not be for her limited time on the court so far I’m sure we are all rooting for her and hopes she eventually makes the transition needed to be a valuable contributor for the team in the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom