Lexi Gordon | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lexi Gordon

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
as I remember KML wasn't the swiftest end to end player in collegiate basketball...smarts and a good shot can sometimes make up for other deficiencies......
That's a point you're makin'.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gordon had to re-take her conditioning test multiple times before she passed. Failing to be in "good shape", something that takes just hard work and ZERO talent, is not something that Coach Auriemma is going to be too happy about.
Care to elaborate? I hadn't heard that. Is there a specific conditioning test?

Reaction Score
I do like this group and think they are all talented. It might be a good thing that she sits, learn and not be playing for the sake of playing (especially if you are not ready). Why the hurry?

Reaction Score
as I remember KML wasn't the swiftest end to end player in collegiate basketball...smarts and a good shot can sometimes make up for other deficiencies......
There have been a few if not more Ct Bigs that lagged behind up and down the floor. Dolson was one. KML like Dolson lost weight and moved better, became a pretty good BB player.

Reaction Score
irwin & bent know what to expect. They obviously weren't ranked higher coming out of HS. But Geno is showing Lexi & Coombs that hard work will get you PT

Reaction Score
For all the folks who said Lexi is going to be the surprise of this year freshman group, are you surprised that she has been getting only 1 min a game even in a big blow out like today. I wonder what she is telling her sister about the reality that is Uconn.
Clearly, Lexi is in the dog house. [mod edit] [Ekmark] never got up to UCONN speed or quality. Maybe it was never there. We all read how well she is doing at Arizona ( both on the court and in the court ..to become a lawyer?), and are happy for her. But she , in my view, never had the goods to be a meaningful player here. As the dog house assignee, I always rooted for her. I keep looking for that diamond in the pile of coal. Maybe Lexi will be such. Hope so. But it is going to take fight. On the other hand, having more talent than either Molly or Kyla should be easy. But she may not have the will to do it. Molly and Kyla are working hard. But they turn the ball over for everything they do well. Sometimes I wonder if Molly is even looking when she makes some of her turnover passes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Who exactly do you want to sit so Lexi can get playing time? Azura? Gabby? Napheesa? Megan? Heck soon Camara will be in the mix. It's just a reality. Too many players. We are still building chemistry among our core 7-8 players, working in Azura and Megan to a group that already played together. Made even more difficult with KLS getting injured. That's the core we need to develop to win the title. I think a redshirt for Lexi would have been the way to go but that's up to her and the coaches.

Reaction Score
A player can only do what is in their control and that is to be in top shape, learn the system and be a great teammate. Then when you get the opportunity you show the couches you deserve more time on the court. Farris was not a great or willing shooter but she's got a lot of minutes because she was one of the hardest working kids ever. Lexi needs to be patient and work hard and hopefully she'll prove herself when the time comes.

Reaction Score
For all the folks who said Lexi is going to be the surprise of this year freshman group, are you surprised that she has been getting only 1 min a game even in a big blow out like today. I wonder what she is telling her sister about the reality that is Uconn.
I think it's just Geno playing his games.

Reaction Score
Who exactly do you want to sit so Lexi can get playing time? Azura? Gabby? Napheesa? Megan? Heck soon Camara will be in the mix. It's just a reality. Too many players. We are still building chemistry among our core 7-8 players, working in Azura and Megan to a group that already played together. Made even more difficult with KLS getting injured. That's the core we need to develop to win the title. I think a redshirt for Lexi would have been the way to go but that's up to her and the coaches.

If you watch clean up time, you name the game, 34 get seconds not minutes. It would be nice to see what she can do by; say, 3 minutes. Not a big deal out of 200. Camara, is still a maybe, I'll think about her minutes when I see per playing. You are most likely correct in suggesting R.S. it would be 3 ways good: Team, Geno, Alexi. I don't like anyone using the --T word, unless it's a useless player--and I see none top to bottom here.
I wouldn't worry about the 7 member CORE, Geno is working them well, and (thankfully) teaching as they go.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
UCONN does not have too many players. When you see two players have injuries that are keeping them from playing, one of which is yet to learn the system to Geno's standards, another an injury that is affecting her effectiveness, UCONN needs all the players they have. I just hope some of the non starters learn the system well enough to get some meaningful playing time.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
We don't see practice everyday and she's obviously not cutting it there or she'd be playing more. She seems like she still has a positive attitude at least from what can be seen on TV during games. The transition from HS to College for athletes is difficult for any frosh and at an elite program like Connecticut, playing for a HOF Coach like Geno it's brutal. Lexi will be fine, you only have to look back last year to Crystal to see how difficult it can be.

Reaction Score
This shouldn't come as a surprise to me, yet it always does. HCGA recruits great players to UCONN. Unlike many other places, being on scholarship doesn't get you on the court. This is the best women's college basketball team in the country. Is it crazy to think that its second team would win a game (or two) in the tourney? Probably not. At the present, HCGA is clearly unhappy with Ms. Gordon, whether it be for her conditioning, her commitment to getting better every day in practice...or any of a million other things. With Lou ready to come back and Batlouly Camara ready to debut, it could get worse for Lexi before it gets better.

Reaction Score
Gordon had to re-take her conditioning test multiple times before she passed. Failing to be in "good shape", something that takes just hard work and ZERO talent, is not something that Coach Auriemma is going to be too happy about.

Could you post a link to any info about this. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Bent and Irwin are a two person class where they will need to decide, as others have before them, what they want to get out of their college bb experience going forward. Kyla has worked hard to improve her conditioning and it shows. Bent gets everything she has out of her talent and abilities. The new freshman guards are going to slowly move ahead of her, just the same. Stevens has already moved ahead of Kyla. We will see how Camara progresses.

I like both kids. They will be established players in the program, but I am unsure how many regular minutes they will ever get.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BdVa pointed us to one of our Great "lags"-to-riches stories...
<<...a few ...Ct Bigs that lagged behind.... Dolson>>
Mama Stef transformed herself from a powderpuff (that Geno had a glimmer about!) into a hard-headed lean-team machine.
By force of will, she (literally) molded her body & being into the highest ranks of accomplishment. Kudos!!

Geno (fore)saw it within her; Stef lagged for a while, recognized the gap, refused to back off & accepted the challenge!
Let's see if Il Maestro will get to pull another Lexi out of the hat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bent and Irwin are a two person class where they will need to decide, as others have before them, what they want to get out of their college bb experience going forward. Kyla has worked.hard to improve her conditioning and it shows. Bent gets everything she has out of her talent and abilities. The new freshman guards are going to slowly move ahead of her, just the same. Stevens has already moved ahead of Kyla. We will see how Camera progresses.

I like both kids. They will be established players in the program, but I am unsure how many regular minutes they will ever get.

Everything your saying is true.

Reaction Score
The only info I could find about this now is a thread which refers to Gordon finally passing her test.

GORDON updates
The only info I could find about this now is a thread which refers to Gordon finally passing her test.

GORDON updates

Yes, I had seen that. But it says nothing about "finally" passing her test - just that she passed it. And it says nothing about her ever failing it, or about Geno being upset with her conditioning.

It seems like there has been a lot of comment on her conditioning on this thread, with no evidence that I have seen.

Reaction Score
This argument of "who do you sit--to give X playing time" is an argument to argue. 200 minutes, all do not need and some do not want, and the staff does not want--those top 6 or 7 or 8 to have exhausted legs and minds--ala Ms ST--at the end of the year. Uconn will not be unique in using 6 to 8 or more players per game, nor is that unique for Geno.
-
We can discuss/argue/lament/comment/ insult/nitpick in the end Geno will use his 13 or so players in the exact way he must depending on any factors he may deem needed.

I agree, if she goes to the game limit at that time discuss R.S.--but, Red shirting her now won't work. Maybe before then --she'll slide into the starting line up--(not even close to probable) l You are also correct in the need to continue to build chemistry with the addition of Walker, Danger, Azura---the 3 newbies (actually 2) need to know how when where who gets the pass or gives it and where they or you want it. Learning in game time.
I may be kidding myself--but from past injured players--getting up to speed takes months not days

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

GORDON updates
Coach Bill didn’t provide much detail. Maybe I’m confusing this with something else, but I think all the players have to run a mile in a certain time, maybe 6:00, 6:30, or so. I’m not sure if there are other pass/fail tests.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom