Let the Carousel begin! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not too surprising. Hate to see any coach get fired but sometimes it isn't a great fit. Coach Elzy gave it a shot and things didn't work out. Hopefully she gets another chance and who knows, it might be the right fit.
Wait, what? Right fit? She was Mitchell’s top assistant before she got the job and then proceeded to spiral down with a quality team and lost at least 3 key players and hasn’t had the best publicity to say the least. Maybe so really bad mid-major would hire her but her next gig with be back as an assistant not as a HC. In fact I highly doubt we ever see her coach at a P5 ever again but who knows-Coquese Washington got a second shot….

Reaction Score
Wait, what? Right fit? She was Mitchell’s top assistant before she got the job and then proceeded to spiral down with a quality team and lost at least 3 key players and hasn’t had the best publicity to say the least. Maybe so really bad mid-major would hire her but her next gig with be back as an assistant not as a HC. In fact I highly doubt we ever see her coach at a P5 ever again but who knows-Coquese Washington got a second shot….

And Felicia Legette Jack, and Kelly Harper.

But yeah not everyone is cut out to be a tier 1 head coach, regardless of background.

Reaction Score
If you want young and up and coming, UNLV coach Lindy La Rocque is only 34 but already has 4 very good years under her belt as a head coach. Miller has been coaching longer, but La Rocque has more experience than the other two mentioned.

Any PAC jobs gonna open up?

She has played (I think?) and coached out west. I’d think a west job is her next step.

Wonder if any of the richer SEC/big schools will go after WSU or OSU coaches now that their schools are being orphaned , or even the ones going to the b12.

Reaction Score
Elzy is a great person, but her downfall was she just couldnt recruit at all and had more significant losses to the portal than additions.

There's a report out there that Matthew Mitchell could be getting hired again which I wouldn't love personally. Karl Smesko is another name out there in Kentucky groups.

I would be shocked if Smesko left, especially for Kentucky. He's got it good with FGCU, he built that program from the ground up.

Reaction Score
And Felicia Legette Jack, and Kelly Harper.

But yeah not everyone is cut out to be a tier 1 head coach, regardless of background.
Legette Jack has made strides since returning to a P5 program. Don't think anyone saw Syracuse making the improvements they have in less than 2 full seasons.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Any PAC jobs gonna open up?

She has played (I think?) and coached out west. I’d think a west job is her next step.

Wonder if any of the richer SEC/big schools will go after WSU or OSU coaches now that their schools are being orphaned , or even the ones going to the b12.
No Pac jobs officially open. I get the regional thing, but it's not like no coach has ever taken a job in a different part of the country than where their roots are. Results vary.

I just looked up ages, Ethridge is 59 and Rueck 54. Kami has been at WSU for a shorter period of time and has less of a tie to the school, I could see her leaving if a better opportunity presented itself. I gotta think Rueck has been courted at some point and didn't leave. Before this year the shine was pretty much off of him. Now who knows. Their football coach bolted (and was an OSU alum), the uncertainty of conference affiliation in the future is certainly a factor to consider.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Can Rutgers get a redo on the carousel?

Sad Season 1 GIF by Friends

Reaction Score
No Pac jobs officially open. I get the regional thing, but it's not like no coach has ever taken a job in a different part of the country than where their roots are. Results vary.

I just looked up ages, Ethridge is 59 and Rueck 54. Kami has been at WSU for a shorter period of time and has less of a tie to the school, I could see her leaving if a better opportunity presented itself. I gotta think Rueck has been courted at some point and didn't leave. Before this year the shine was pretty much off of him. Now who knows. Their football coach bolted (and was an OSU alum), the uncertainty of conference affiliation in the future is certainly a factor to consider.
Assuming no Oregon State Players jump ship, I just can't see Rueck leaving given the talent he has coming back next season. Oregon State doesn't have any seniors on it's roster. Rueck is an Oregon State Homer, and 2 of his kids still in Junior High/High School. His son Cole is #1 golfer at Boise State, so I don't see Rueck leaving for an SEC, B12, or ACC head coaching position.

Reaction Score
Legette Jack has made strides since returning to a P5 program. Don't think anyone saw Syracuse making the improvements they have in less than 2 full seasons.
Absolutely. Was referring to coaches who got a 2nd shot at a p5 job after getting fired.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
She had done a solid job at Buffalo. Bringing her top two players from there -- Fair and Wooley -- certainly helped jump start the program. Coach Jack has some fine athletic forwards. It will interesting to see if she can find another volume shooter/scorer to join Wooley now that Fair is out of eligibility.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Was referring to coaches who got a 2nd shot at a p5 job after getting fired.
?? Wasn't Coach Jack fired at IU? She then went to Buffalo, now 'Cuse? So, she took a two-step trip back, much like Kelly Harper.

Reaction Score
?? Wasn't Coach Jack fired at IU? She then went to Buffalo, now 'Cuse? So, she took a two-step trip back, much like Kelly Harper.

That’s what I said.
She got fired at a P5.
She made her way back to a p5.

Ergo she got a 2nd shot at a p5 job after getting fired.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Not too surprising. Hate to see any coach get fired but sometimes it isn't a great fit. Coach Elzy gave it a shot and things didn't work out. Hopefully she gets another chance and who knows, it might be the right fit.
She can apply at Utah State.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
That’s what I said.
She got fired at a P5.
She made her way back to a p5.

Ergo she got a 2nd shot at a p5 job after getting fired.
Thanks.
On my initial read, it just didn't seem as precise as you just detailed (probably was me in between coffees.):eek::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if Smesko left, especially for Kentucky. He's got it good with FGCU, he built that program from the ground up.
His style of play is really fun to watch. I don't know how it would work in the SEC. Hard to get up a three-point shot when the defender has you in a head lock.

Reaction Score
“Kentucky expected to hire Matthew Mitchell”
That was a premature tweet by a reporter from Georgia. She retracted it to say Mitchell would be interested.

The AD said on a radio show they would be doing a full national search and had a lot of coaches reach out to him yesterday about the job.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Tweet wasn't previewing, so for those that can't see, Amanda Butler and Clemson have parted ways.

Not a super surprising decision considering her results, but the five year extension in 2022 and the incoming five-star recruit, kind of thought she'd have one more season.
So, Clemson AD at a couple of years of Butler's contract? My, women's hoops has come a ways when that happens. Now, we've seen it at both Kentucky and Clemson, schools that have invested in facilities, see how women's hoops is becoming big (business) and don't want to fall behind the curve.

The Elmore transfer yesterday got my ears twitching a bit.....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Tweet wasn't previewing, so for those that can't see, Amanda Butler and Clemson have parted ways.

Not a super surprising decision considering her results, but the five year extension in 2022 and the incoming five-star recruit, kind of thought she'd have one more season.

So, Clemson AD at a couple of years of Butler's contract? My, women's hoops has come a ways when that happens. Now, we've seen it at both Kentucky and Clemson, schools that have invested in facilities, see how women's hoops is becoming big (business) and don't want to fall behind the curve.

The Elmore transfer yesterday got my ears twitching a bit.....

Well Elmote had already gotten her degree so I wasn't surprised.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Well Elmote had already gotten her degree so I wasn't surprised.

Wasn't surprised that: Elmore left? Butler was relieved of duties? Combination thereof.

On one hand, grad transfers make sense for some players, whether it be for studies or hoops. But some stay at their schools to get grad degrees. I believe Robinson was a grad transfer this year, but she chose to stay and get a special ed. degree.

Reaction Score
Also surprised that Clemson made a change. It's a great school but their commitment to WCBB has been minimal. Maybe this changes starting now.

Reaction Score

I think Rueck very much likes being at OSU. He's a graduate and has strong ties to the area and great fan support. I saw more orange in Las Vegas than any other color. I agree that he's been courted before and I doubt he'll leave.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom