Let the Carousel begin! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Also surprised that Clemson made a change. It's a great school but their commitment to WCBB has been minimal. Maybe this changes starting now.
Clemson Athletic Director Graham Neff thinks Clemson has, in fact, taken some infrastructure steps and will continue to do so, which you pondered. From the official release:

“I thank Amanda for her contributions to our basketball program as head coach for the past six seasons and wish her the best in the future,” said Graham Neff. “We are committed to completing a national search for the next leader of the program as the sport continues to grow. We believe that we are resourced and supported in a way to make this one of the top teams in the nation every year."

"The women’s basketball program has participated in 16 NCAA Tournaments, four NCAA Sweet Sixteens and has two ACC Championships. Clemson recently completed $63.5 million in upgrades to Littlejohn Coliseum, and recently received Phase I approval for a $40 million expansion and renovation to the team areas," said the release.

"...make this one of the top teams in the nation every year." Hmm, that's a statement. Not the ACC or region.
Let's see who and what the orange checkbooks bring to Littlejohn.

Reaction Score
Clemson Athletic Director Graham Neff thinks Clemson has, in fact, taken some infrastructure steps and will continue to do so, which you pondered. From the official release:

“I thank Amanda for her contributions to our basketball program as head coach for the past six seasons and wish her the best in the future,” said Graham Neff. “We are committed to completing a national search for the next leader of the program as the sport continues to grow. We believe that we are resourced and supported in a way to make this one of the top teams in the nation every year."

"The women’s basketball program has participated in 16 NCAA Tournaments, four NCAA Sweet Sixteens and has two ACC Championships. Clemson recently completed $63.5 million in upgrades to Littlejohn Coliseum, and recently received Phase I approval for a $40 million expansion and renovation to the team areas," said the release.

"...make this one of the top teams in the nation every year." Hmm, that's a statement. Not the ACC or region.
Honestly this is encouraging despite the fact I have no vested interest in Clemson. When I lived in the ATL area for years I was struck by the fact UGA and Clemson didn't seem to care about WCBB very much at all (and in UGA's case basketball period). Not every team can be in the upper tier of their league (and the ACC is a tough one) but there seems to be a market given how much interest there is in SC and UT with Clemson being between the two.

Reaction Score
She had done a solid job at Buffalo. Bringing her top two players from there -- Fair and Wooley -- certainly helped jump start the program. Coach Jack has some fine athletic forwards. It will interesting to see if she can find another volume shooter/scorer to join Wooley now that Fair is out of eligibility.
I can think of one who could be a good fit if she's tired of Tobacco Road.

Reaction Score
“Kentucky expected to hire Matthew Mitchell”
It’s funny how I thought of him recently, but I believe he’d quit/retired because of illness. However, if he’s being thought of coaching again, and at this high level, it means that he’s doing really well. I’m happy for him, and wishing him well.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
It’s funny how I thought of him recently, but I believe he’d quit/retired because of illness. However, if he’s being thought of coaching again, and at this high level, it means that he’s doing really well. I’m happy for him, and wishing him well.
If memory holds, he had brain surgery (subdural hematoma) and has told people he redid the way he approaches his life. If he can jump back into the fray, all power to him. Best of luck in whatever he chooses to do.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
And Felicia Legette Jack, and Kelly Harper.

But yeah not everyone is cut out to be a tier 1 head coach, regardless of background.
My point was after P5 jobs, Felicia (Indiana) spent time at Buffalo who was, at best an ok, mid-major and she turned them into a good mid-major with 4 NCAA bids and 1 WNIT bid in 10 years and got the Syracuse job. Kelli (NC State) went to Missouri State and again, did a good job there taking them to 5 straight post-season births before the Tennessee job. So, they repaired their image at a lower school where as Coquese Washington spiraled down at PSU going 29-51 (last 5 years) and 90-106 (overall in 12 years) and is now 7-29 in 2 years at Rutgers. I think Rutgers erred in selecting Coquese vs. a recent proven winner.

I think, like most jobs, you need success climbing the ladder and getting a top job than after just an assistant role. Making that is a big jump and is harder than many ADs think. The ACC has 4 of 15 who never coached anywhere including Jeff Walz who took over a Louisville program and made them big vs. Duke/UNC/FSU. The SEC had 4 now 3-Vandy, Auburn & MSU. The Big 12 has 3 with Collen-WNBA, Huey-Houston, Whiting-BYU . The PAC12 has 2-Close at UCLA and Barnes at Arizona. The Big 10 has zero. That is 11 of 69 P5 Coaches who never ran a program before their current team. I guess we could list the last 5 years of P5 firings to see how "just assistant coach experience" vs. "prior head coach experience" to really tell but 5 out of 6 times some prior experience seems to be the rule for P5.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
My point was after P5 jobs, Felicia (Indiana) spent time at Buffalo who was, at best an ok, mid-major and she turned them into a good mid-major with 4 NCAA bids and 1 WNIT bid in 10 years and got the Syracuse job. Kelli (NC State) went to Missouri State and again, did a good job there taking them to 5 straight post-season births before the Tennessee job. So, they repaired their image at a lower school where as Coquese Washington spiraled down at PSU going 29-51 (last 5 years) and 90-106 (overall in 12 years) and is now 7-29 in 2 years at Rutgers. I think Rutgers erred in selecting Coquese vs. a recent proven winner.

I think, like most jobs, you need success climbing the ladder and getting a top job than after just an assistant role. Making that is a big jump and is harder than many ADs think. The ACC has 4 of 15 who never coached anywhere including Jeff Walz who took over a Louisville program and made them big vs. Duke/UNC/FSU. The SEC had 4 now 3-Vandy, Auburn & MSU. The Big 12 has 3 with Collen-WNBA, Huey-Houston, Whiting-BYU . The PAC12 has 2-Close at UCLA and Barnes at Arizona. The Big 10 has zero. That is 11 of 69 P5 Coaches who never ran a program before their current team. I guess we could list the last 5 years of P5 firings to see how "just assistant coach experience" vs. "prior head coach experience" to really tell but 5 out of 6 times some prior experience seems to be the rule for P5.

Ahh.
I was on a different track, noting that while rare it is possible to get a 2nd try at P5 success.

Are there other examples besides the 3 noted?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Ahh.
I was on a different track, noting that while rare it is possible to get a 2nd try at P5 success.

Well, Amanda Butler comes to mind at the moment (Florida, Clemson) :confused:

Reaction Score
Has there ever been a major job that Jeff Walz hasn’t been “interested” in? I know he’s pals with Geno and has been very complimentary of UConn but his schtick is kinda old.
Similar to the Masters...."the tradition continues". That exact thought came to mind when I read the tweet.

Reaction Score

Sounds like some Gamecock envy! They want their own Dawn Staley. Hopefully they get someone good because I want the rivalry to be competitive.

Reaction Score
Ahh.

Mark Trakh is a really odd example. USC to New Mexico State to USC.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Soooooo close!
I predicted Butler would be the first to go, and she was 2nd.

As usual, underperformance from Ms Butler
Way to go Vowelguy. Double pat on the back to @DefenseBB . Coaches Elzy and Butler were his #1 choices in his 2nd (Performance is showing the spiral is not recoverable) and 3rd (The list of coaches who really have shown very little to warrant keeping) categories. In fact, you and he are pretty much are word for word there.

Reaction Score
Soooooo close!
I predicted Butler would be the first to go, and she was 2nd.

As usual, underperformance from Ms Butler

And just a reminder of Ms Butlers history. Never liked her after this:

Reaction Score
I had to look up Sydney Moss after reading that article about Butler blocking Moss’ transfer. She’s head coach at Willmington College now. From her bio:

“One of the most decorated players in NCAA Division III women's basketball history, Moss transferred to Thomas More after one season at the University of Florida where she was named Southeastern Conference (SEC) Freshman of the Year. In three years as a Saint, she lost a total of one game en route to consecutive NCAA Division III national championships (2015 was later vacated). Moss was named National Player of the Year three consecutive seasons by three organizations (WBCA, D3hoops.com, DIII News) and averaged over 22 points, seven rebounds and three assists per game in each of her three seasons. Moss has two degrees from Thomas More - a bachelor of arts in communication and master of arts in ethical leadership.”

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Here's a thought for your consideration.
I ran across this blurb of Raoul's from earlier this month and it had to do with the very successful tenure of Jackson State's Tomekia Reed, who has dominated the SWAC, working out of her hometown. If memory holds, she and Jackson State played tough in the NCAA's. Her contract is up next month. Is she ready for prime time? Remember, Coach Yo came from a mid-major?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom