Lesson Learned: Practice Harder | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lesson Learned: Practice Harder

Reaction Score
I don't know whether this is a David negative or you see it as a positive???? Before Danger set one foot on Uconn property--I saw her in a U19 USA game, with Collier (I believe). I wrote that I wasn't sure whether I was seen Danger of Moriah---The comparison is something of a compliment.
The size, the aggressive ball handling, the precise passes and once in a while a pull up jumper that goes--all are what Danger did.
I understand your defense of Frosh, that's nice. But long time fans of WBB can see a bit of DT o or a bit of Maya or Rene or Mel or Sue or a combination in some players. Last year as KLS was saving Uconns behind and sick as a dog, I and others compared her performance to DT.
Sorry but comparisons are good. Now if Geno said to Danger--you are not performing as Moriah did--get with it! That would be very bad--but us By'er blow smoke into the ether of the internet.
DavidiNapels is a charter member of ---I LOVE UCONN WOMENS BASKETALL CLUB.

Oh no! Thank you @david for blinding some of us with the numbers / stats that put some things in perspective. Crystal has been compared to a very accomplished UConn veteran player, so that definitely is a compliment. In other posts I detect something else sometimes... and that something else doesn't weave into comments about other players on this team.

Reaction Score
Then she is sensitive regarding Crystal. Surely in that time she has witnessed one player or another getting hectored.

Let me make this clear. I am offended whenever I see unnecessary discord. I believe in building up and not tearing down. I will never lose sight of the fact that these girls give a lot because they want to gain a lot. We must agree to disagree on this one.

Reaction Score
Oh no! Thank you @david for blinding some of us with the numbers / stats that put some things in perspective. Crystal has been compared to a very accomplished UConn veteran player, so that definitely is a compliment. In other posts I detect something else sometimes... and that something else doesn't weave into comments about other players on this team.
You are probably correct in that Gabby, KLS, Nurse, Collier are out of range for
By sharp shooters. Danger is new. However--I have seen a great deal of compassion for her issues last season--I hear the cheering her on as this new season begins---WE NEED HER. She showed she's a top PG this USA season and in Baylor--as others have said--give her time--she'll do ok--I suspect much better than OK.
But your support and protectiveness of one of my most favored players I thank you--she's had all the problems she ever needed.

Reaction Score
How could Dangerfield not have known practice is everything to Geno? Don't practice well, don't play. I'll bet Geno yelled it at her enough. Was she truly oblivious or was it attitude? Was it, well he has to play me because there is no one else as good. Now, oops! There is competition for my role, so I better practice really hard? She is telling the frosh all her mistakes. Didn't Lou and Phee tell their mistakes to her, Molly, and Kyla? Didn't they tell her practice hard like you never did before? Kids! In one ear and out the other.
Oh please...you make it sound like this is something new...player after player has gone through the same thing...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You are probably correct in that Gabby, KLS, Nurse, Collier are out of range for
By sharp shooters. Danger is new. However--I have seen a great deal of compassion for her issues last season--I hear the cheering her on as this new season begins---WE NEED HER. She showed she's a top PG this USA season and in Baylor--as others have said--give her time--she'll do ok--I suspect much better than OK.
But your support and protectiveness of one of my most favored players I thank you--she's had all the problems she ever needed.

We all - yes all - were pulling hardn for her last year and she showed flashes of what she can be. When she pretty much says I was lazy last year and didn't put in the work, well, of course there is disappointment. But we move on and root for her to realize her fullest potential as a starting point guard. Least I do.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think you are unduly harsh. Players may _think_ they are giving it their all, but the coaches still expect more. How many times have we heard Geno say "Players say they're tired. I say: 'I will tell you when you're tired'."

There's a difference between thinking you understand and actually understanding. It is a process that all frosh undergo.
Agree, I think it's the difference between Dangerfield's idea of practicing hard and Geno's idea of practicing hard.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
How could Dangerfield not have known practice is everything to Geno? Don't practice well, don't play. I'll bet Geno yelled it at her enough. Was she truly oblivious or was it attitude? Was it, well he has to play me because there is no one else as good. Now, oops! There is competition for my role, so I better practice really hard? She is telling the frosh all her mistakes. Didn't Lou and Phee tell their mistakes to her, Molly, and Kyla? Didn't they tell her practice hard like you never did before? Kids! In one ear and out the other.
I agree in general - that kids are told by many people - Geno, the staff, other current players, and alums (if they ask), what to expect when they get to UCONN. Having said that, almost to a person, quotes we hear from kids in their freshman or sophomore seasons talk about "my hard was not their hard" (B. Banks), or that they knew it would be "tough", but had no idea just how tough it would be, etc. etc. with many variations on that same theme.

Point being - no matter how much these kids prepare for what's to come, when they start practice in earnest under Geno, all of them soon learn that there simply was nothing that could prepare them - not all the conversations, explanations, or information offered up by current/former UCONN player or coaches. Imagination is usually far different from reality...

I'm glad Crystal is getting it. She's a great kid who I love to watch play and lead the team and I'm excited to see how she progresses over the next 3 years!

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Player after player has said it takes a while to get things used to Geno's idea of practicing/playing hard... Here is what Crystal said...

"Just understanding what [Auriemma's] definition of playing hard really is," she said. "Freshman year was tough and I don't want that to happen again, so just being able to make the little changes that turn into big changes out on the court and off the court. I hope it will help me in my sophomore year."

Crystal will be just fine and that smile will be on full display..!!

Reaction Score
Player after player has said it takes a while to get things used to Geno's idea of practicing/playing hard... Here is what Crystal said...

"Just understanding what [Auriemma's] definition of playing hard really is," she said. "Freshman year was tough and I don't want that to happen again, so just being able to make the little changes that turn into big changes out on the court and off the court. I hope it will help me in my sophomore year."

Crystal also said that none of the current freshmen "gets it" yet.

Reaction Score
Crystal also said that none of the current freshmen "gets it" yet.
I compare it to the OLD Marine Boot Camp---with a tough old time DI--not in this world ever prepares a human for that--Geno would have been a great DI, language and all.

Reaction Score
I'm glad AfroQueen has contributed as she has. I like what she has to say, because IMO there have been too many needless, totally non-constructive, fairly insensitive posts in the year or so that I've participated here. Think about the posts suggesting that Kyla & Molly may as well just transfer out because they'd never play due to the "super class" coming in. Or the fairly consistent bashing of Butler (by a few) over her couple of years. I guess it makes some feel bigger to belittle others. Try walking a mile in their shoes before you criticize so harshly behind the anonymity of your forum ID.

As far as Dangerfield goes, I don't think she created the hype, the national ratings, the press clippings, etc. But she carried those expectations into her freshman year. And she was probably guilty of believing some of that hype, and maybe thinking she had it all figured out before she got here. And then reality hit, and hopefully she's got it figured out. Hell, who can live up to those kind of expectations as a freshman? Few, if any.

These are KIDS. Talented, diverse, motivated, and eager to succeed. Some sophisticated, many not. But still kids when they walk through the doors. Their support networks are generally far, far away. And they land, on their own for the first time, in the godforsaken wilderness of Storrs (I can say that because I grew up in CT, not all that far away) and the pressure-cooker of UConn BB. I think they deserve a little better from us. I suspect there isn't one poster in a thousand who could go one-on-one, on their BEST day ever, with any of these ladies we're so quick to judge. Would you take the same tone writing about your daughter or sister? Somehow I doubt it. Civility goes a long way.

I am now off the soap box. Feel free to swing away.

Reaction Score
I'm glad AfroQueen has contributed as she has. I like what she has to say, because IMO there have been too many needless, totally non-constructive, fairly insensitive posts in the year or so that I've participated here. Think about the posts suggesting that Kyla & Molly may as well just transfer out because they'd never play due to the "super class" coming in. Or the fairly consistent bashing of Butler (by a few) over her couple of years. I guess it makes some feel bigger to belittle others. Try walking a mile in their shoes before you criticize so harshly behind the anonymity of your forum ID.

As far as Dangerfield goes, I don't think she created the hype, the national ratings, the press clippings, etc. But she carried those expectations into her freshman year. And she was probably guilty of believing some of that hype, and maybe thinking she had it all figured out before she got here. And then reality hit, and hopefully she's got it figured out. Hell, who can live up to those kind of expectations as a freshman? Few, if any.

These are KIDS. Talented, diverse, motivated, and eager to succeed. Some sophisticated, many not. But still kids when they walk through the doors. Their support networks are generally far, far away. And they land, on their own for the first time, in the godforsaken wilderness of Storrs (I can say that because I grew up in CT, not all that far away) and the pressure-cooker of UConn BB. I think they deserve a little better from us. I suspect there isn't one poster in a thousand who could go one-on-one, on their BEST day ever, with any of these ladies we're so quick to judge. Would you take the same tone writing about your daughter or sister? Somehow I doubt it. Civility goes a long way.

I am now off the soap box. Feel free to swing away.
That's real nice.

But, although these kids are "kids", they aren't "regular kids." They are thoroughbreds. (You may have read here, or elsewhere, that UConn "isn't taking regular kids.")

This is the "big time" - their choice. Public criticism comes with the territory. They can take it. Especially from a bunch of old message board gasbags. Don't worry about them - I think they'll be OK.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Going from high school to Connecticut basketball,is kind of like a person going from being a full timer going into management.No matter how good of a full timer you are,no matter what is explained to you what management is like,it is rare for anyone to step into the new arena and excel from the get g:confused:nly time and persistance gets you to where expectations you and others have set.Some never achieve their full potential,some do,but most will grow and blossom under the system they are in,given the time and instruction they need.I continue to believe that we as fans must harness patience with freshmen and sophomores in the program,and let them blossom at their own pace,not at my pace.It usually works out pretty good in the end.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I just love this. Anyways, allow me to state/restate my two cents worth on Crystal Dangerfield.

This very talented young lady has the potential to equal or exceed one of "MY" Favourite players to ever wear the uniform, that being Moriah Jefferson, in every category except two, Defense and NC's won. There is a certain competitive attitude and effort that comes with every great defender that I am yet to see displayed by Crystal. Mo impacted so many games without ever having to score a single point. Crystal is a better passer and see's the floor better offensively, but from "my observation" she is often a little too relaxed and reactive on defense instead of reading the play and being proactive.

It is tough as a freshman coming into UConnWBB, there is so much to learn and adjust to. With that initial learning curve now behind her, I can't wait to see how that translate to her overall confidence playing this coming season. I'm trusting the coaches and players with their assessment on what they have seen so far and I'm hoping that her improvements continue as with so many sophomores before her. I am very pleased to hear she feels ready.

Reaction Score

Thank you for the quote. The rest of us could use 'working(/reading) harder' to avoid the much about nothing thing. I often say the same thing even though I had been at something for little under 24 hrs. It's a lot more than effort, it is about fine-turning.
As to whether CD will be a starter (perhaps an irrelevancy in team basketball), it depends on her defense. I have not seen a ton of improvement there and, Nurse + Gabby can break the press and get the team going.

Reaction Score
That's real nice.

But, although these kids are "kids", they aren't "regular kids." They are thoroughbreds. (You may have read here, or elsewhere, that UConn "isn't taking regular kids.")

This is the "big time" - their choice. Public criticism comes with the territory. They can take it. Especially from a bunch of old message board gasbags. Don't worry about them - I think they'll be OK.

The point is not whether to criticize, or not, it's how it's done.

Reaction Score
The point is not whether to criticize, or not, it's how it's done.

Exactly.

I remember sitting idly reading post after post on how Gabby didn't have this skill or Gabby would never play etc. I should have posted back then as I always knew she would be Gabulous.

My 2 cents. There are posters who are "true fans" and there are posters who are "fake fans".

Most know who the true fans are. They support the WHOLE team through thick and thin, giving their opinions through ups and downs but don't just do it for some players and not others.

The fake fans are those who post negatively about some players but never the player they belong to, who they always praise. Every player has their down moments but it is pretty obvious from posting history when a poster always praises the same player and never trashes them while doing so to the other players.

How obvious, well I will give an example when a player has a bad game a poster blames the rest of the team for it

We all have our favorites too but true fans also root for the whole team.

Go ALL Huskies, you ALL are amazing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My 2 cents. There are posters who are "true fans" and there are posters who are "fake fans".
Most know who the true fans are. They support the WHOLE team through thick and thin, giving their opinions through ups and downs but don't just do it for some players and not others.
The fake fans are those who post negatively about some players but never the player they belong to, who they always praise. Every player has their down moments but it is pretty obvious from posting history when a poster always praises the same player and never trashes them while doing so to the other players.
I also think there are some poster that are overly sensitive to criticism of their "favorite" player(s) and would submit this entire thread as a prime example. How did Crystal criticizing herself turned into a discussion of "fake fans"?

Reaction Score
Just like a lot of threads they have their own life. BTW I didn't refer to what you are talking about I was speaking generally and in response to Augusta.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom