Lesson Learned: Practice Harder | The Boneyard

Lesson Learned: Practice Harder

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Practice harder," Dangerfield said. "I didn't figure it out until late and I barely figured it out then. So I feel like if I had caught it early, I feel like last year would have gone a lot better. This year, the practice that we've had so far, they've just felt different. I feel like if I can continue that through preseason and once the games start, we'll have a really good year."

And the freshmen?

"I tell them everything that I did wrong and try to help them not do it the same," Dangerfield said. "I've told them every single mistake that I made last year. I just don't want them to do through the same thing because freshman year was hard. You're away from home, it's just a different atmosphere. You already have the pressure of being … this UConn basketball, not just college basketball. So it's a different level than high school as it is, but being here and what the standard is, is different."

Lessons As UConn Freshman Learned, Crystal Dangerfield Ready To Step Up

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that Crystal views her freshman year so poorly. I understand the coaches saying that but it is more interesting when a young player says it. I think it bodes well that her target performance is so high. :D

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that Crystal views her freshman year so poorly. I understand the coaches saying that but it is more interesting when a young player says it. I think it bodes well that her target performance is so high. :D
She and the rest of the team are exposed to a multitude of criticism when things are not perfect. I think it's a natural self assessment and evidence of refining goals. Responsibility for oneself while aspiring to make the team better. Point guard mentality, right?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"Practice harder," Dangerfield said. "I didn't figure it out until late and I barely figured it out then. So I feel like if I had caught it early, I feel like last year would have gone a lot better. This year, the practice that we've had so far, they've just felt different. I feel like if I can continue that through preseason and once the games start, we'll have a really good year."
And the freshmen?
"I tell them everything that I did wrong and try to help them not do it the same," Dangerfield said. "I've told them every single mistake that I made last year. I just don't want them to do through the same thing because freshman year was hard. You're away from home, it's just a different atmosphere. You already have the pressure of being … this UConn basketball, not just college basketball. So it's a different level than high school as it is, but being here and what the standard is, is different."
How could Dangerfield not have known practice is everything to Geno? Don't practice well, don't play. I'll bet Geno yelled it at her enough. Was she truly oblivious or was it attitude? Was it, well he has to play me because there is no one else as good. Now, oops! There is competition for my role, so I better practice really hard? She is telling the frosh all her mistakes. Didn't Lou and Phee tell their mistakes to her, Molly, and Kyla? Didn't they tell her practice hard like you never did before? Kids! In one ear and out the other.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Or great insight into what's needed to be a winner.

Great insight? Sarcasm? With Geno and Shea yelling and telling you to practice hard, it does not take great insight. Perhaps it is more a Stewart redux. The stubbornness of the "I best know how I play" attitude has finally been replaced with the great Paul Erdős' declaration: "my mind is open."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great insight? Sarcasm? With Geno and Shea yelling and telling you to practice hard, it does not take great insight.
The narrative is the narrative. Take it for what it's worth.

Reaction Score
How could Dangerfield not have known practice is everything to Geno? Don't practice well, don't play. I'll bet Geno yelled it at her enough. Was she truly oblivious or was it attitude? Was it, well he has to play me because there is no one else as good. Now, oops! This is competition for my role, so I better practice really hard? She is telling the frosh all her mistakes. Didn't Lou and Phee tell their mistakes to her, Molly, and Kyla? Didn't they tell her practice hard like you never did before? Kids! In one ear and out the other.
The coaches have different expectations for different kids. That's all it could be... I guess.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

And the freshmen?

Maturity.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Auriemma said "it often takes an entire season for freshmen to adjust". I hope that our posters and commenters here remember this tidbit from Geno throughout the season if/when they poise themselves to criticize one of the freshmen this season. The veracity of Geno's statement is why this reporter was so willing to give Dangerfield a "pass" last season, and room to grow. By all accounts, it appears that Crystal has in fact made that vaunted sophomore leap.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
sophomore leap

Shouldn't that be demonstrated in play consistently in season? It is true that Geno says she has made a 180, but he has said similar things about other players in preseason and what we all hoped that would mean ... well, it didn't. Me I'll wait and see, while hoping for the best for CD and all our newbies. Can't wait, especially because Montana is burning and air quality really sucks and some of these fires will burn into October.

Reaction Score
How could Dangerfield not have known practice is everything to Geno? Don't practice well, don't play. I'll bet Geno yelled it at her enough. Was she truly oblivious or was it attitude?

I think you are unduly harsh. Players may _think_ they are giving it their all, but the coaches still expect more. How many times have we heard Geno say "Players say they're tired. I say: 'I will tell you when you're tired'."

There's a difference between thinking you understand and actually understanding. It is a process that all frosh undergo.

Reaction Score

And the freshmen?

That's a great teammate. Lead by example and let them know what you went through and how to avoid the pitfalls. Keep up the good work Danger
Thanks again Rocky--I really enjoy --your finds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
How could Dangerfield not have known practice is everything to Geno? Don't practice well, don't play. I'll bet Geno yelled it at her enough. Was she truly oblivious or was it attitude? Was it, well he has to play me because there is no one else as good. Now, oops! There is competition for my role, so I better practice really hard? She is telling the frosh all her mistakes. Didn't Lou and Phee tell their mistakes to her, Molly, and Kyla? Didn't they tell her practice hard like you never did before? Kids! In one ear and out the other.
I think you are unduly harsh. Players may _think_ they are giving it their all, but the coaches still expect more. How many times have we heard Geno say "Players say they're tired. I say: 'I will tell you when you're tired'."

There's a difference between thinking you understand and actually understanding. It is a process that all frosh undergo.

I recall being both oblivious and the possessor of a less than stellar attitude as a teen.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Crystal was probably shell-shocked and caught up in the middle of things last year. Now, she has the advantage of time and a little perspective. She had a typical freshman season--flashes of brilliance, lots of pretty good play, some poor play, and a lack of consistency. Most players not named Maya Moore had some of that. The great Stewie had a freshman slump and a 0-point effort against Baylor. Diana crapped out in the Final Four. Lou, Pheesa, and Gabby were inconsistent. Kia ran into a wall and was shaky in the Final Four. I think Crystal still needs to work on her shot, but her assertiveness and intensity look good in the games in Italy.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I recall being both oblivious and the possessor of a less than stellar attitude as a teen.

Attitude -- I agree. I had it in spades ... unfortunately. Cannot be miscommunications. Geno has never been accused of subtle communications. Sarcastic - yes. Subtle - never!

Reaction Score
Sounds like you have not had a 17-18 year old kid. You can not tell them anything. They think they know it all. Just like i thought at that age.
It may even be tougher with a high school superstar who is being recruited by the best schools in the country and everybody telling them how great they are. I am sure they can get a little cocky.

Reaction Score

I had a perfect attitude for me--I was wrong every one else was right--The military changed that.
But because I was TRULY oblivious of nearly everything--I was a happy camper. I just bounced off of walls. As long as I had a Basketball few things mattered--not a football or a baseball or a softball so they still don't matter.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Auriemma said "it often takes an entire season for freshmen to adjust". I hope that our posters and commenters here remember this tidbit from Geno throughout the season if/when they poise themselves to criticize one of the freshmen this season. The veracity of Geno's statement is why this reporter was so willing to give Dangerfield a "pass" last season, and room to grow. By all accounts, it appears that Crystal has in fact made that vaunted sophomore leap.

Thank you for reiterating this info. It's why I never expect too much from the freshman. If they miss shots or having a bad shooting stretch I don't hold it against them or pass judgement on their future abilities. Just gotta trust GA and the process he and the staff have forged.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom