2021 Recruiting: - Landers Nolley | Page 33 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Landers Nolley

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

UConn's best recruits have generally ended up to be their best players. You can have your scrappy 100-200s and hope to find one that fell through the cracks. I'll take the highest rated players.
Agreed, barring injuries and how they translate up a level. But, the Randy under radar thing doesn't generally apply to basketball or even football anymore.

Reaction Score
Yeah and people post more negative yelp reviews than positive ones.

What’s your point?

Was excited to be in on a big time, program advancing transfer like Nolley and then the wind gets taken out of the sails with the wing version of Brendan Adams.

He’s not bad, but when you keep getting the Springs and Martins over the Kofis, Cliffs, and Nolleys it’s gonna take you a lot longer to get back to the top.

What’s so bad about that?

you are overvaluing Nolley. If the goal is championships, most winning teams have 1/2 stars (NBA types) and a bunch of solid role players who know what they’re supposed to do. Seems to me Hurley is building the team the right way. Our star, right now, is Bouknight, we need one more guy to develop into a star level (can consistently get shots they want) player this year and we’ll be fine.

Reaction Score
I would have loved to get Nolley but the general overhyping of him on here is crazy. He put up some nice scoring numbers but his ACC TS% was 44.3% on 34/25/77 splits, he averaged 3+ turnovers a game, and had a 83 ORtg/103 DRtg.

Reaction Score
Basketball is a team game but we already have our program advancing coach in Dan Hurley and our program advancing player in James Bouknight. If you're bummed about getting a 13 ppg 7 rebs transfer of which we're going to get the peak 2 years of I don't know what to tell you.

When we had a sinking program with an indifferent coach stuck in the AAC we all should've been b***ing, there is absolutely no reason to now.

Bouknight, Jackson, and Martin at the wing is about as good as it gets.
It's literally NOT as good as it gets because we could have Nolley who's > Martin.

Reaction Score
Geez, We got Bouknight his first choice. Akok his first choice. Gaffney his first choice. Jackson his first choice. Martin is a very good player.

If you can't see we're taking the next step, look harder.

Right. He should also watch the video of Martin vs. Reddish and see how well Martin played in all facets of the game. Three point shooting, dunks, rebounds, even ball handling and passing which the URI fans said were weaknesses. He had trouble handling Reddish on defense, but is that solely on him or just maybe because Reddish had a top 5 rating for a good reason.

Reaction Score
It's literally NOT as good as it gets because we could have Nolley who's > Martin.

Nolley may very well be better than Martin, but define "could have." The most rational assumption is Nolley spoke to us, we said we have a spot if you commit now but otherwise we're filling it and he said "no thank you, I want more time." So what do you mean "could have?" Is that like "I could have Kaley Coco" because we're both still alive so it's thus possible?

Reaction Score
maybe having Martin for 2 years in the long run will be more beneficial than having Nolley for 1. A lot of people don’t factor that in when they are thinking about what’s best for the program
Yes but having guys get drafted is also great for the program

Reaction Score
maybe having Martin for 2 years in the long run will be more beneficial than having Nolley for 1. A lot of people don’t factor that in when they are thinking about what’s best for the program

What's (already) gotten me feeling better about Martin is the fact that I remembered Adams might be gone next year too. So 2 guys Martin would be competing with (Adams + Bouknight) could be gone before he even plays. The only definite guards we'll have for 2021-22 are Cole and Gaffney. The only guard/wing (other than Martin) is Jackson. Therefore we need depth at the 2 and 3. Martin can help at that. My guess is he'll be the either the 6th or 7th man playing the majority of his minutes at the 2 and 3, maybe some stretch 4. The 2021-22 roster grid has a lot of holes...but Hurley is going to pull in a CLASS. Right now the only guys most likely returning are:

PG: Cole, Gaffney
SG: -
SF: Jackson, Martin
PF: Akok, Springs
C: Ferguson

Early wishlist includes Hunter Sallis and Mac Etienne.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
What's (already) gotten me feeling better about Martin is the fact that I remembered Adams might be gone next year too. So 2 guys Martin would be competing with (Adams + Bouknight) could be gone before he even plays. The only definite guards we'll have for 2021-22 are Cole and Gaffney. The only guard/wing (other than Martin) is Jackson. Therefore we need depth at the 2 and 3. Martin can help at that. My guess is he'll be the either the 6th or 7th man playing the majority of his minutes at the 2 and 3, maybe some stretch 4. The 2021-22 roster grid has a lot of holes...but Hurley is going to pull in a CLASS. Right now the only guys most likely returning are:

PG: Cole, Gaffney
SG: -
SF: Jackson, Martin
PF: Akok, Springs
C: Ferguson

Where would Adams be going? He will be a senior by the time Martin is available.

Reaction Score
I think we're transitioning from:
a short, skinny, weak program (recently, not Calhoun years) that had a tendency to get bullied and trouble moving the ball and shooting from deep

to:
a program with tall, long, elite athletes with serious swagger that keep the ball moving and can shoot well.

i know this is scary for some people, but Danny is bringing in his guys and we should all be excited. Dunks and threes that result from more than one pass are very fun to watch.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
As was mentioned in another thread, his plan is to graduate next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened, but I don't have any reason to believe he would transfer, and I seriously doubt he would be good enough to play professionally after next year unless he takes a really big leap.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how every UConn fan isn't positive/bordering on giddy about UConn basketball right now.

Well, it is CT and New England, and isn't it like the local sport to find the dark cloud over everything while waiting for the other shoe to drop?

Reaction Score
a program with tall, long, elite athletes with serious swagger that keep the ball moving and can shoot well.

Wanted to expand on that with this:

Whether or not you’re qualified to argue about Tyrese vs. Nolley, basketball IQ, shooting or passing form, etc., one thing is clear: Hurley loves athleticism. Our guy Tyrese casually popped a 360 dunk mid game. I’m cool with the move.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if that happened, but I don't have any reason to believe he would transfer, and I seriously doubt he would be good enough to play professionally after next year unless he takes a really big leap.

It was mentioned on a broadcast that he wants to be an entrepreneur after graduation. Not every guy wants basketball in their future after college. Gotta respect this kid. It's hard to graduate in 3 years for a non-athlete. For an athlete, that's extreme dedication. Economics major too so not a fluke of a major.

Reaction Score
It was mentioned on a broadcast that he wants to be an entrepreneur after graduation. Not every guy wants basketball in their future after college. Gotta respect this kid. It's hard to graduate in 3 years for a non-athlete. For an athlete, that's extreme dedication. Economics major too so not a fluke of a major.
i could see him doing a grad transfer year somewhere while working on his MBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01