2021 Recruiting: - Landers Nolley | Page 16 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Landers Nolley

Status
Not open for further replies.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
In quarantine with nothing to do. his FG% is concerning and people have said he's known as a ball-stopper ISO guy So I went through all of his individual game highlights and looked at the types of shots he's taking. I'll consider anything where he's fouled, a 3, or a layup to be a good shot. Any mid-range shots or

I am aware the sample is bad because it's a highlight and only from the games he played well. But they do include all the baskets he made and when he was fouled, just not always whether he made the FTs. I haven't left the house in days. Let me have this moment.

Long 2/Bad 3: 21

Good 3s: 14

Layup/Dunk/Fouled: 23

... Yeah, so there's the problem with his %s. Nearly as many low % bad shots as layups or fouls is absurd shot selection. This should be more like 10/20/38. Seems to be a few reasons why...

1.) He doesn't seem to be very good getting to the rim. Tends to jumpstop and shoot the 10-12 footer instead of kicking to a shooter or pivoting in for the layup. I think it's partly an athleticism and partly a technique thing. If he got his hips turned and got his shoulders bit lower, it could make up for some of the first step slowness.

2.) There is something schematically wrong with what Mike Young did. He obviously has a perimeter footwork skillset, but he keeps posting up Nolley on the high shoulder 15ft out.

3.) He dribbles way too much even when he IS on the perimeter. Seems like a mental error a good coach (Hurley) could help fix. What he needs is the old Popovich 0.5 second drill. When you scrimmage--it's 0.5 seconds to shoot, attack the basket, or pass the ball--nothing else or it's a turnover.

There's a reason why Nolley is maybe the most sought after transfer right now. The kid is talented. He makes TOUGH shots, but just needs a better system to expose his skillset.

We'd be tremendously lucky to have him on our roster.
Very accurate. After seeing him play he reminds me a bit of Providence's Diallo. Diallo is not a super explosive guy but he became stronger, finished on drives and down low and improved his shooting, though he had a rough go this year. Nolley has a greater skill-set at this stage and certainly can develop into a strong finisher and reliable rebounder. He's 6'7" and can go get a bucket inside or out. Many can't. He'd be an asset most anywhere.

Reaction Score
I was at every home game this year. We had a PF in the line up during the season.

No I think you’re wrong. The starting line up will likely feature Cole, Gaffney, ,Nolley or Jackson, Whaley and Carlton. That was my point. Carlton will probably play 18-20 minutes a game and you’ll see Whaley and Springs on the court at the same time. I doubt we will see many minutes with a pg, bouk, Jackson, Nolley and big. We’ll find out though and I’m sure I’ll reference this thread if I’m wrong. I was at every home game this year to answer your previous question.

You don’t have Bouk starting? Hmmmmm :eek:

Reaction Score
1) show me where jackson discussed transferring if he can't play big minutes post-commitment. I call major bs. He mentioned wanting playing time to avoid transfer concerns months ago. I know for a fact he is tremendously commited to the program. Just last week Hurley said he thinks he can have. Bouk-type impact

2) Our 3/4 play the same position essentially. We go 4 and 5 out most of the game. Defense is the difference. This has been discussed on this thread ad nauseam. If you want to talk traditional positions, we basically play a 1, 2, 2/3, 3, and a 4/5. Springs/akok could mix that up a bit. Mobility and interchangability is the name of the game.
Here is the video...To be clear, I'm not at all worried and I'm incredibly excited for next season. I've been refreshing every recruiting site for days hoping we land Nolley and I'm 100% confident that Hurley will figure out how to keep everyone happy. Still, minutes are important to all recruits and since you asked....

"I don't want to be waiting and get jammed up in that whole process and have to transfer"

Last edited:

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Jackson isn't coming here with the intention of transferring. He wants to come to a top tier program and in those programs you have to fight other great players to play. Hurley was definitely very up front about that. Jackson is a competitor and a very gifted basketball player. He will compete and earn minutes.

Reaction Score
Jackson isn't coming here with the intention of transferring. He wants to come to a top tier program and in those programs you have to fight other great players to play. Hurley was definitely very up front about that. Jackson is a competitor and a very gifted basketball player. He will compete and earn minutes.
No one goes anywhere with the intention of transferring.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No one goes anywhere with the intention of transferring. I don't foresee any issues at all, I made that point clear. My point is that minutes are still on their minds. Watch the video. It's not my quote, it's his. Again, I'm excited for Jackson and the entire team next year.
His quote was more about him saying he wants to be ready to earn minutes. In this quote he’s saying him transferring means he wasn’t good enough

Reaction Score
Jackson doesn't even say he'll transfer if he doesn't get minutes in that video. What he's saying is he wants to come in and earn minutes right away before he's forced out
Yeah I didn’t say that so thanks I guess for pointing that out. What I said was minutes are important to all incoming recruits. I projected that he would start the season coming off the bench and Hurley would find plenty of minutes to keep him happy. But yeah thanks for arguing that point anyways.

Reaction Score
Yeah I didn’t say that so thanks I guess for pointing that out. What I said was minutes are important to all incoming recruits. I projected that he would start the season coming off the bench and Hurley would find plenty of minutes to keep him happy. But yeah thanks for arguing that point anyways.
Calm down, every post isn't a personal attack on you

Reaction Score
Dude you’ve been spiraling for like 5 straight posts. You overstated your point a bit, that’s all. Woooooo saaaaa

Reaction Score
What do you think the thinking with the eaddy offer was? Strictly a depth piece?

I don't believe Eaddy was offered. The Kansas.com article on him said we showed interest and no mention of an offer whereas offers were mentioned in the writeups on some of the other players (not by us though).

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't believe Eaddy was offered. The Kansas.com article on him said we showed interest and no mention of an offer whereas offers were mentioned in the writeups on some of the other players (not by us though).

Reaction Score
Pretty quite on this front the past few days. Some guys commit quickly and we always seem to go after the long drawn out ones!

Reaction Score
Rt the difference between UConn and Georgetown fans in his comments is that there are like 50 UConn fans commenting once, and there's like 5 Georgetown fans commenting 50 times each
Especially HoyasNation. Joined in on his live the other day and all that guy was doing was spamming the bulldog emoji. Theyres a fine line between recruiting and just straight up being annoying.

Reaction Score
Especially HoyasNation. Joined in on his live the other day and all that guy was doing was spamming the bulldog emoji. Theyres a fine line between recruiting and just straight up being annoying.
Agreed. I was on that live stream and I tossed him a "UConn!" with like a husky emoji or something, then also asked him what Hurley's pitch was and he said "30 minutes on the ball", and that's all I commented. The HoyasNation guy was sooo over the top

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I’m starting to come around on Nolley. His early season tape is really good and VTs offense sucks so bad he would get far more open looks in our offense.

Reaction Score
You don’t have Bouk starting? Hmmmmm :eek:
images.jpeg

Reaction Score
Was on Jake Weingarten's instagram live the other day, the owner of stockrisers.com the recruiting site, asked him what transfers UConn specifically had a good chance with. He said "UConn has a VERY underrated chance of landing Landers Nolley". Good sign from one of the top rising recruiting guys in the game.

Reaction Score
Jake doesn't know squat. we've been down this road before. don't believe a word he says

Reaction Score
If we're in good shape with Nolley, I assume we are just waiting for the NCAA to officially allow players the chance to transfer this year without sitting out. With Polley and Akok hurt, we might not take a player who has to sit out if we only have one spot. And anybody on our roster who is considering transferring is also likely waiting for that rule change before entering the portal I assume. Does anybody know what the NCAA's timeline is on this potential rule change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom