2021 Recruiting: - Landers Nolley | Page 15 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Landers Nolley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
thank you. wont believe a 6'7 230 lbs below average athlete is a college SG until i see it. i buy college SF but ideally he's a stretch 4

this sounds just like kevin freeman trying to play down a position to increase his odds of being drafted but nba SFs are generally the best and most versatile athletes in the league. just sayin.
Early in the season when I watched him he was clearly a wing with guard skills. You obviously haven't watched him if you think his game is anything like Freeman's.

Reaction Score
Early in the season when I watched him he was clearly a wing with guard skills. You obviously haven't watched him if you think his game is anything like Freeman's.

Yeah the Freeman comparison is awful. He's a skilled SF, good shooter, ball handler, passer. Not a plus athlete but seems to have a very good feel for the game. Will play more 4 than 2 for us based on DH's offense and how the college game is nowadays. He's really a combo forward; don't love him as a 2.

Reaction Score
Yeah the Freeman comparison is awful. He's a skilled SF, good shooter, ball handler, passer. Not a plus athlete but seems to have a very good feel for the game. Will play more 4 than 2 for us based on DH's offense and how the college game is nowadays. He's really a combo forward; don't love him as a 2.
you guys need to work on your reading comprehension if you feel the need to be so aggressive. i never compared nolley's game to freeman's. i compared their desire to move down a position to improve their draft stock at the expense of being most effective in college.... @husky429 specifically said nolley should play the 4 on D to hide his lack of athleticism.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
you guys need to work on your reading comprehension especially when being so aggressive. i never compared his game to freeman's. i compared his desire to move down a position to improve his draft stock.... @husky429 specifically said he should play the 4 on D to hide his lack of athleticism.
We read your post just fine. Nolley is a wing who has guard skills, he played as a guard in high school and at Va Tech early in the year but Young was putting him down low more and more as the season went on because he didn't have anyone on the team over 6'7 who could play. The situation is nothing like Freeman's and Freeman didn't have any of the wing guard skills Nolley does. It's just a terrible example.

Reaction Score
We read your post just fine.
nope, not if you thought i compared nolley's game to freeman's, as you clearly stated.

nolley also weighed 195 lbs in highschool according to 247, not 230.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
nope, not if you thought i compared nolley's game to freeman's, as you clearly stated.

nolley also weighed 195 lbs in highschool according to 247 not 230.
Just watch him play and learn about Va Tech's team this season. It's absolutely nothing like Freeman trying to move to the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Just watch him play and learn about Va Tech's team this season. It's absolutely nothing like Freeman trying to move to the perimeter.
do you disagree with @husky429 saying he should play the 4 on D to hide his lack of athleticism or not? i'm deferring to his scouting take over yours.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We read your post just fine. Nolley is a wing who has guard skills, he played as a guard in high school and at Va Tech early in the year but Young was putting him down low more and more as the season went on because he didn't have anyone on the team over 6'7 who could play. The situation is nothing like Freeman's and Freeman didn't have any of the wing guard skills Nolley does. It's just a terrible example.
Does he have the speed to play at the 2 guard defensively? He's 6-7 230. If so he must be a load taking it to the hoop.

Reaction Score
In quarantine with nothing to do. his FG% is concerning and people have said he's known as a ball-stopper ISO guy So I went through all of his individual game highlights and looked at the types of shots he's taking. I'll consider anything where he's fouled, a 3, or a layup to be a good shot. Any mid-range shots or

I am aware the sample is bad because it's a highlight and only from the games he played well. But they do include all the baskets he made and when he was fouled, just not always whether he made the FTs. I haven't left the house in days. Let me have this moment.

Long 2/Bad 3: 21

Good 3s: 14

Layup/Dunk/Fouled: 23

... Yeah, so there's the problem with his %s. Nearly as many low % bad shots as layups or fouls is absurd shot selection. This should be more like 10/20/38. Seems to be a few reasons why...

1.) He doesn't seem to be very good getting to the rim. Tends to jumpstop and shoot the 10-12 footer instead of kicking to a shooter or pivoting in for the layup. I think it's partly an athleticism and partly a technique thing. If he got his hips turned and got his shoulders bit lower, it could make up for some of the first step slowness.

2.) There is something schematically wrong with what Mike Young did. He obviously has a perimeter footwork skillset, but he keeps posting up Nolley on the high shoulder 15ft out.

3.) He dribbles way too much even when he IS on the perimeter. Seems like a mental error a good coach (Hurley) could help fix. What he needs is the old Popovich 0.5 second drill. When you scrimmage--it's 0.5 seconds to shoot, attack the basket, or pass the ball--nothing else or it's a turnover.

There's a reason why Nolley is maybe the most sought after transfer right now. The kid is talented. He makes TOUGH shots, but just needs a better system to expose his skillset.

We'd be tremendously lucky to have him on our roster.

Reaction Score
He's not a 2. He's not a 4.

Can we just settle this is the middle. He slots in as a 3-SF.

Bouk should start at the 2 and a big like Bruner would be nice at the 4.

Reaction Score
In quarantine with nothing to do. his FG% is concerning and people have said he's known as a ball-stopper ISO guy So I went through all of his individual game highlights and looked at the types of shots he's taking. I'll consider anything where he's fouled, a 3, or a layup to be a good shot. Any mid-range shots or

I am aware the sample is bad because it's a highlight and only from the games he played well. But they do include all the baskets he made and when he was fouled, just not always whether he made the FTs. I haven't left the house in days. Let me have this moment.

... Yeah, so there's the problem with his %s. Nearly as many low % bad shots as layups or fouls is absurd shot selection. This should be more like 10/20/38. Seems to be a few reasons why...

1.) He doesn't seem to be very good getting to the rim. Tends to jumpstop and shoot the 10-12 footer instead of kicking to a shooter or pivoting in for the layup. I think it's partly an athleticism and partly a technique thing. If he got his hips turned and got his shoulders bit lower, it could make up for some of the first step slowness.

2.) There is something schematically wrong with what Mike Young did. He obviously has a perimeter footwork skillset, but he keeps posting up Nolley on the high shoulder 15ft out.

3.) He dribbles way too much even when he IS on the perimeter. Seems like a mental error a good coach (Hurley) could help fix. What he needs is the old Popovich 0.5 second drill. When you scrimmage--it's 0.5 seconds to shoot, attack the basket, or pass the ball--nothing else or it's a turnover.

There's a reason why Nolley is maybe the most sought after transfer right now. The kid is talented. He makes TOUGH shots, but just needs a better system to expose his skillset.

Agreed. He has an nba skillset.

Reaction Score

After watching so many guys never stop and fail at the rim or get it blocked I really like his jump stop. I know they aren't always great shots and there are times he should kick left or right to an open shooter, but it's a solid move to get a mid range attack. He shot unbelievable for his first 10-12 games or something but lost it as did the team as they were highly rated. Very strange situation down there, I have no doubt he was part of it but this was a breakdown of a year for Young I believe.

Hurley would have a job to do coaching him but there's no doubt he's talented as heck and with the other players he'd be afforded he'd change I do believe for the team. We may or may not see would be an interesting piece for 20-21.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I wonder if Hurley will back off the pressure D some considering RJ, Bouk, Gaff, Nolley (I hope), Polley, Springs aren't exactly superior defenders.. and with a freshman Jackson too. And Calrton/Javonte Brown Ferguson not able to hard hedge and recover well. I do think Bouk and Gaff have some serious potential to smother teams at the point of attack if they get stronger mentally/physically.

Wouldn't our depth encourage it? They don't necessarily need to be lockdown defenders. They just need to pick up people early and keep pressure up. I feel like Hurley values that more than steals.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't our depth encourage it? They don't necessarily need to be lockdown defenders. They just need to pick up people early and keep pressure up. I feel like Hurley values that more than steals.

You have a point. I think Hurley has mentioned that he'd prefer to only play guys a max of 30 mins a game. Finally being able to go 10 deep will help with that.

I'm not sure reducing minutes is going to help Carlton stay in front of anybody. Or keep Gaff and Bouk from getting bodied by bigger dudes. Those are just kind of physical limitations. Gaff and Bouk did look much better the last 10 games or so of the season though. And I'm sure they'll mature physically.

It's a tricky balance to strike as a coach. There's a reason I don't get paid millions to do this haha

Reaction Score
Sort of. McGowen is a 2/3 and Nolley a 3/4. Not as much overlap as you'd think. I am sure we're recruiting Nolley to play the 4.

McGowen has a harder road to playing time--Bouk/Adams both will play 2/3 with Jackson getting minutes mostly at the 3 (maybe some small ball 4) too. But he's better than Adams and could push him out a bit.

My guess is they all played at the 2/3/4.. (so, 120 mins available

Bouk-25 mins @ the 2
Adams--10 mins at the 3
Mcgowen--10 mins @ the 2, 15 @ the 3
Jackson--15 mins at the 3, 5 mins at the 4
Polley-- 10 mins @ the 4 (more later in the season as he heals, potentially.. kind of accounting for injury here)
Nolley-- 25 mins @ the 4

Our positions are fluid and interchangeable. Thinking more about defense with that.
Nolley isn’t coming here to play 25 minutes a game at the 4. He made his position clear. He might spend some time there but he’s going to be our starting 3 and we’ll have to find a way to keep Jackson happy with coming off the bench. Jackson made it clear in interviews he doesn’t want to transfer if he doesn’t get playing time. He did mention the word “transfer” so it must be on his mind to some degree. Hurley will have to figure it out but I’m sure there’s 20 minutes a game for him between the 2-4.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nolley isn’t coming here to play 25 minutes a game at the 4. He made his position clear. He might spend some time there but he’s going to be our starting 3 and we’ll have to find a way to keep Jackson happy with coming off the bench. Jackson made it clear in interviews he will transfer if he doesn’t get playing time. Hurley will have to figure it out but I’m sure there’s 20 minutes a game for him between the 2-4.

1) show me where jackson discussed transferring if he can't play big minutes post-commitment. I call major bs. He mentioned wanting playing time to avoid transfer concerns months ago. I know for a fact he is tremendously commited to the program. Just last week Hurley said he thinks he can have. Bouk-type impact

2) Our 3/4 play the same position essentially. We go 4 and 5 out most of the game. Defense is the difference. This has been discussed on this thread ad nauseam. If you want to talk traditional positions, we basically play a 1, 2, 2/3, 3, and a 4/5. Springs/akok could mix that up a bit. Mobility and interchangability is the name of the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1) show me where jackson discussed transferring if he can't play big minutes post-commitment. I call major bs. He mentioned wanting playing time to avoid transfer concerns months ago. I know for a fact he is tremendously commited to the program. Just last week Hurley said he thinks he can have. Bouk-type impact

2) Our 3/4 play the same position essentially. We go 4 and 5 out most of the game. Defense is the difference. This has been discussed on this thread ad nauseam. If you want to talk traditional positions, we basically play a 1, 2, 2/3, 3, and a 4/5. Springs/akok could mix that up a bit. Mobility and interchangability is the name of the game.
That’s what I was referring to. It was a video where he says hopefully he won’t have to worry about getting into the whole transfer thing and worry about minutes next year. Why don’t you go watch every single interview of his if you think this is such a mind-blowing statement. I’m not going to find you the video to watch because this isn’t a debate. I said Hurley will have to find him minutes coming off the bench. Even if he had never said the word transfer out loud in his life how is my statement wrong? A highly regarded recruit would want minutes or he could transfer. That’s not a shocking statement to make. This part of this particular video was discussed at the time on the board.

I said Hurley will figure it out. You won’t see the season start with Jackson in the starting 5 if Nolley is here. That was my point.

lastly, nothing I said was shocking so relax guy. Find the interview yourself if you think it’s mind-blowing that he’s going to want minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

If I remember correctly it was the same interview where he mentions Jeremy Lamb was his favorite player.

Reaction Score
nolley wants to play the wing. Unless we only have one guy near the basket then he doesn’t want to play the four. If you’re saying we don’t play with a 4 then you might as well put bouk there or gaffney if you’re just calling it the four. I said Hurley will figure it out. You won’t see the season start with Jackson in the starting 5 if Nolley is here. That was my point.

Have you not noticed we play 4 out? Sometimes 5? If you you are seriously saying "unless we only have one guy near the basket" you haven't paid a lick of attention to UConn basketball this season.

Again: position doesn't matter except on defense when 4 or 5 dudes are all playing on the perimeter. Nolley can defend opposing 4s, gaffney cannot. It isn't that hard to get.

Reaction Score
Ok guy. We’ll see if Nolley is starting the year at the 3 or if he’s being used the same way he was at VT like you’re suggesting. He wants to be a 2 or a 3 to help his draft stock. It’s not that hard. Luckily we pay Hurley to figure it out instead of having you try to convince his dad that he should come here to play the 4...again.

Reaction Score
Ok guy. We’ll see if Nolley is starting the year at the 3 or if he’s being used the same way he was at VT like you’re suggesting. He wants to be a 2 or a 3 to help his draft stock. It’s not that hard. Luckily we pay Hurley to figure it out instead of having you try to convince his dad that he should come here to play the 4...again.

I am not suggesting he be used the same way he was at vtech. He was played in the post there A LOT. We will play 4 on the perimeter all season--including Nolley. I don't think I'm being unclear here.

Reaction Score
Have you not noticed we play 4 out? Sometimes 5? If you you are seriously saying "unless we only have one guy near the basket" you haven't paid a lick of attention to UConn basketball this season.

Again: position doesn't matter except on defense when 4 or 5 dudes are all playing on the perimeter. Nolley can defend opposing 4s, gaffney cannot. It isn't that hard to get.
I was at every home game this year. We had a PF in the line up during the season.
I am not suggesting he be used the same way he was at vtech. He was played in the post there A LOT. We will play 4 on the perimeter all season--including Nolley. I don't think I'm being unclear here.
No I think you’re wrong. The starting line up will likely feature Cole, Bouknight, ,Nolley or Jackson, Whaley and Carlton. That was my point. Carlton will probably play 18-20 minutes a game and you’ll see Whaley and Springs on the court at the same time. I doubt we will see many minutes with a pg, bouk, Jackson, Nolley and big. We’ll find out though and I’m sure I’ll reference this thread if I’m wrong. I was at every home game this year to answer your previous question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul