Lady Vols renewing series with UConn at right time after dodging the dynasty | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lady Vols renewing series with UConn at right time after dodging the dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Tennessee will be solid next year. Can't be worse than this past year. BUT... They lose Westbrook, Green (Cheridene) and Jackson - 3 starters. I'm sure they feel Horston is the 2nd coming of Catchings (or whoever), but she is only a freshman. Williams will eat her lunch and then spit it back on her (metaphorically speaking). They have no one who can come close to the talent Danger has. ONO will hold her own and Walker will have her hands full with Rennia Davis.

Tenn fans can correct me if they think I have it wrong, but I can see starters of Massengill, Horston, Zaay Green, Davis and Collins (I think she passed Kushkutuah on the depth chart). Some talent for sure, but nowhere near the firepower UCONN will have. Just my $.02...

I'll correct you. Kasi was injured quite a bit last season. If she continues to progress over the summer and in Harper's systemd, expect her to be the center. Collins is not a center.

Point guard could just as easily be Horston considering Massengill will not have a year up on her. The offense will be different, so it will go to best player.

Rae Burrell came on strong and will also vie for position,

There are lots of unknowns, as Kellie starts with a clean slate.

As for Williams eating the lunch of Jordan, don't forget about the size that Horston brings. Horston has the potential to be one of those freshmen that is serving up a good dish of her own.

Last, Brown could totally shift the roster, if she rebounds well from injury. She could end up starting, which would move Burrell or Collins to be players off the bench.

New offense, new defense, and new philosophy, alot of questions to be answered.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
It would have been "lucky" if the series ended accidentally or due to a third party. This wasn't luck. Tennessee made the unilateral decision to end the series when they did. They ran from Uconn.

Pat had no reason to run from competition and she never did. She ended the season the same year that TN went on to repeat as champions. She ended the season after winning 3 in a row against UConn. She also had high expectations because the incoming 2009 class was to go on and do big things. Injuries to key players that were to be the next big thing (2009 / 2010 class combined) was the only reason they didn't make a final 4 or beyond run. None of that could be foreseen by Pat.

Don't forget that TN and Pat have played big games before UConn was ever relevant, so let's not act like Pat runs from anybody.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Pat had no reason to run from competition and she never did. She ended the season the same year that TN went on to repeat as champions. She ended the season after winning 3 in a row against UConn. She also had high expectations because the incoming 2009 class was to go on and do big things. Injuries to key players that were to be the next big thing (2009 / 2010 class combined) was the only reason they didn't make a final 4 or beyond run. None of that could be foreseen by Pat.

Don't forget that TN and Pat have played big games before UConn was ever relevant, so let's not act like Pat runs from anybody.
1555954029572.png

Reaction Score

Well, Tennessee did manufacture a fake recruiting scandal and unilaterally ended their series with UConn, casting dispersions along the way. And since then how many Final Fours has Tennessee attended (not having to pay for their tickets) and how many has UConn been to? I maintain my position that "luck" didn't have anything to do with the series ending. And that if the series had continued, the record would be a lot more lopsided than 13-9.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'll correct you. Kasi was injured quite a bit last season. If she continues to progress over the summer and in Harper's systemd, expect her to be the center. Collins is not a center.

Point guard could just as easily be Horston considering Massengill will not have a year up on her. The offense will be different, so it will go to best player.

Rae Burrell came on strong and will also vie for position,

There are lots of unknowns, as Kellie starts with a clean slate.

As for Williams eating the lunch of Jordan, don't forget about the size that Horston brings. Horston has the potential to be one of those freshmen that is serving up a good dish of her own.

Last, Brown could totally shift the roster, if she rebounds well from injury. She could end up starting, which would move Burrell or Collins to be players off the bench.

New offense, new defense, and new philosophy, alot of questions to be answered.
I have no doubt the players you mentioned will "vie" for playing time. They are just light years behind UCONN talent wise. You will have no one who can contain Dangerfield. If you think Horston as a freshman will be anywhere close to Williams as a sophomore, keep on believing that if it makes you feel better. You will see just how large the talent/experience gap is when we play. I have no doubt she will have a nice freshman year, but she's not the player Williams is.

As you said lots of unanswered questions. Not sure what you mean by "Massengill will not have a year up on her". Massengill will be a sophomore. Horston a freshman. Most certainly Jaz has a year up on Jordan. I have no doubt Tennessee will play lots of in your face man to man defense. Sure you have Green and Horston - a pair of top 10 players - who both should be good, but the rest of the roster is questionable.

Tennessee over the past 3 years has lost #2 Westbrook, top 10 Hayes, and then 2 starters. I can't wait till the UCONN-Tennessee game. Epic beatdown coming...

Reaction Score

Wow... have not been following the thread.... but saw this.... "Let's not act like Pat runs from anybody"... well what else do you call it? Pat quit the series with UConn.... that is a fact.... and you say that she ran from nobody because she was playing big games before UConn was ever relevant....?? OK

Injuries to key players... was that the reason Tenn lost to Ball State....

And yes you are correct... Pat ended the series with 3 straight victories vs UConn.... you focus on the 3 straight victories so congratulations to you.... what about the 6 wins and 13 losses vs UConn before those 3 victories, and 0 wins and 4 losses in NCAA championship games vs UConn when it counted the most....

I have respect for pat, but yes she did run, and ran far..... when she wasn't dominating any longer....

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
You all know good and well why she cancelled the series. Wins vs. losses had nothing to do with it. TN had the better team at the time she cancelled. The proof is the banner that was hung at the completion of that season. Pat had every reason to believe she would continue with that success considering the incoming recruits. But yeah, let's just ignore the reason why and come up with all this running from competition. Laughable at best.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
PHS cancelled the series because she had the power to do so at the time. How'd that work out for the Lady Vols? They've been irrelevant ever since.

The sickness is what hurt the Lady Vols, not some series that got cancelled. Don't flatter yourself that way.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
We do but it had nothing to do with the made-up reasons offered up by Summitt. She lost Maya Moore and took her ball and went home.

LOL...now that's hilarious. Keep believing!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I have no doubt the players you mentioned will "vie" for playing time. They are just light years behind UCONN talent wise. You will have

Sorry, but I disagree;

Two examples:
Burrell and Collins are both large talents.

Collins got a lot of playing time, was misused as was everyone on the squad.
Still was shown to be a hugely talented and competitive...a sort of undersized Stef if well used.

Burrell was only in sporadically and may be even more talented.
Hard to compare her potential to anyone on the UConn squad (considered doing it but feared the outcry).

I've written several times on her potential...shot, body control, overall athleticism, competitive fire...Just give her reasonable coaching and watch her bloom.

I agree that they don't have a Dangerfield...
But I would happily trade our wings for their's.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You all know good and well why she cancelled the series. Wins vs. losses had nothing to do with it. TN had the better team at the time she cancelled. The proof is the banner that was hung at the completion of that season. Pat had every reason to believe she would continue with that success considering the incoming recruits. But yeah, let's just ignore the reason why and come up with all this running from competition. Laughable at best.
Tennessee was losing Parker and UConn was gaining Moore. Pat saw the writing on the wall and she cancelled the series. It is what it is. We're long since past it. Since the series ended UConn has 8 more national championships and rivalry series with the top schools in WBB and Tennessee has, um, has... uh well they have a new coach this season, so that's something.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
LOL...now that's hilarious. Keep believing!
What's hilarious is the fantasy land some Tennessee fans live in. 39 page complaint against UCONN that fell flat. Pat had more NCAA violations during her tenure than Geno.

Tenn fans want to continue to believe that Geno did things so egregious that St. Pat had no choice but to take her ball and go home. And yet they offer no proof other than Pat's comments "ask Geno he knows". So delusional. Parker's team was Pat's last gasp, and since then UCONN has far surpassed the Tenn program as the greatest program in history. Once Geno passes Pat's total wins in the next 2 seasons, he will have eclipsed her in pretty much every important measurable category (except NCAA violations).

So yeah, keep your delusions intact, but don't peddle that crap here. UCONN fans know the truth, and I suspect most knowledgeable Tennessee fans do too, even tho they won't ever admit it.

As Cat and CL82 said, UCONN has done pretty well since 2008. Tennessee not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom