Lady Vols renewing series with UConn at right time after dodging the dynasty | The Boneyard

Lady Vols renewing series with UConn at right time after dodging the dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Apparently UCONN's dynasty is over according to this writer who believes TENN is replaying UCONN at the right time.
"Tennessee women's basketball got lucky when it came to Connecticut. The Lady Vols were fortunate to end their series with the Huskies after UT won the 2007 national championship. When the series ended, Tennessee was on a three-game winning streak. UT also has been fortunate about the series renewal. When the teams play next season, UConn's roster won't have the caliber of talent that has produced 11 national championships."
"Bottom line: Tennessee dodged a dynasty."
"But when the once-famous rivalry is renewed next season, Tennessee will have more McDonald's All-Americans on its roster than UConn will."

Reaction Score
"But when the once-famous rivalry is renewed next season, Tennessee will have more McDonald's All-Americans on its roster than UConn will."

Yeahhhhh... but they won't have Geno.

Unless Kellie Harper is the 2nd coming of Pat Summit (unlikely), or Muffet or Tara or Kim for that matter, we will have a HUGE advantage in the coaches matchup each and every time we play as long as he is our guy, and isn't on their sideline. John Adams (the writer of the article) will want to revise this in about 4 to 5 years when we have won every one of the future games between now and then... you just watch.

Typical local writer who writes from an obviously biased and lack of understanding of the bigger picture point of view.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I truly hope that UConn vs TN regains the notoriety as one of the top rivalries in WBB. As for the game this coming season, the LV’s will likely be getting a basketball lesson from the Huskies.

While KJH may well turn the LV program in the right direction, it’s not going to happen right away. The early season trip to UConn will be an opportunity for TN to learn.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tennessee will be solid next year. Can't be worse than this past year. BUT... They lose Westbrook, Green (Cheridene) and Jackson - 3 starters. I'm sure they feel Horston is the 2nd coming of Catchings (or whoever), but she is only a freshman. Williams will eat her lunch and then spit it back on her (metaphorically speaking). They have no one who can come close to the talent Danger has. ONO will hold her own and Walker will have her hands full with Rennia Davis.

Tenn fans can correct me if they think I have it wrong, but I can see starters of Massengill, Horston, Zaay Green, Davis and Collins (I think she passed Kushkutuah on the depth chart). Some talent for sure, but nowhere near the firepower UCONN will have. Just my $.02...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I'll take Geno coaching a bunch of average HS players over Harper coaching a bunch of HS All Americans.
Like Shug Jordan said about Bear Bryant, "He can take his'n and beat your'n then take your'n and beat his'n" (you must use an Alabama accent to get this right :rolleyes:) Just substitute Walz for Jordan and Geno for the Bear.

Reaction Score
Tennessee will be solid next year. Can't be worse than this past year. BUT... They lose Westbrook, Green (Cheridene) and Jackson - 3 starters. I'm sure they feel Horston is the 2nd coming of Catchings (or whoever), but she is only a freshman. Williams will eat her lunch and then spit it back on her (metaphorically speaking). They have no one who can come close to the talent Danger has. ONO will hold her own and Walker will have her hands full with Rennia Davis.

Tenn fans can correct me if they think I have it wrong, but I can see starters of Massengill, Horston, Zaay Green, Davis and Collins (I think she passed Kushkutuah on the depth chart). Some talent for sure, but nowhere near the firepower UCONN will have. Just my $.02...

Maybe:
Jazmine Massengill/Jordan
Zaay Green/Jess Rennie
Rennia Davis/Rae Burrell
Mimi Collins/Lou Brown
Kasiyahna Kushkituah/Key

Jordan will and Key might become starters at some point next season...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think one can assume that Ms. Kellie is an above average coach.
Lots of talent on that team even losing Westbrook
Rae Burrell has the look of a fine player...Gabby-like in some ways...aggressive, Nevada, even a high jumper....but more refined BB skills than Gabby at that point in their careers.
Who else is lurking deep in the UTenn bench? ...Holly wouldn't have known.

Next season, we will be more or less evenly matched...talent wise.
Game won't be a push-over

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I'll take Geno coaching a bunch of average HS players over Harper coaching a bunch of HS All Americans.

Really? How is the UCONN bench doing?

Reaction Score
The date of UT's game with UConn also could be in the Lady Vols' favor. Although the date hasn't been announced yet, it likely would be in November or December before teams begin conference play.

The earlier in the season the better for Tennessee, because Auriemma's teams usually get better as the season goes along. But no matter how much his next team improves, it won't be comparable to his national championship teams.

Actually I think he got this wrong. UConn has always been a fast starter and way ahead of their opponents early in the season. Tenn will have played no one but will have won easily, resulting in an inflated opinion of themselves (as usual). They will also be breaking in a new coach and a new point guard. They would be much better off playing the game in January or February.

Tenn will be a much more formidable opponent at home in 2000/2001. But UConn will be unbeatable by then.

Reaction Score
Tenn will be a much more formidable opponent at home in 2000/2001. But UConn will be unbeatable by then.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. No way we go back in time 20 years and lose!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
How many of the 11 were won without a deep bench? Most of them. And those few years with a good bench were totally dominant seasons.
I referring to the development of average players versus McDonald's All-Americans. Our bench came in average and have improved modestly. They could not compete with a team of McDonald's All-Americans as was Beemer premise.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I referring to the development of average players versus McDonald's All-Americans. Our bench came in average and have improved modestly. They could not compete with a team of McDonald's All-Americans as was Beemer premise.
Unless I’m mistaken, there were 2 McD AA’s coming off UConn’s bench this past season.

Reaction Score
Apparently UCONN's dynasty is over according to this writer who believes TENN is replaying UCONN at the right time.
"Tennessee women's basketball got lucky when it came to Connecticut. The Lady Vols were fortunate to end their series with the Huskies after UT won the 2007 national championship. When the series ended, Tennessee was on a three-game winning streak. UT also has been fortunate about the series renewal. When the teams play next season, UConn's roster won't have the caliber of talent that has produced 11 national championships."
"Bottom line: Tennessee dodged a dynasty."

They were "lucky" to end the series when they did? Let me see: since Tennessee ended the series, they haven't been to a single Final Four, while- oh, right!- Connecticut has been to twelve straight Final Fours, setting the all-time record. And this year, Tennessee was bounced in the first round of the Tourney for only teh second time in program history, while Connecticut went to the Final Four. Again.

Seems sort of like "the luck of the Irish." After suffering through centuries of oppression, poverty, severe starvation, bloody repression of rebellions, that constitutes "luck" for the people of Ireland?

Tennessee might get lucky and defeat Connecticut with a new coach. But I can't look back at the collapse of the UT WCBB program over the past dozen years and call that "luck."

Reaction Score
They were "lucky" to end the series when they did? Let me see: since Tennessee ended the series, they haven't been to a single Final Four, while- oh, right!- Connecticut has been to twelve straight Final Fours, setting the all-time record. And this year, Tennessee was bounced in the first round of the Tourney for only teh second time in program history, while Connecticut went to the Final Four. Again.

Seems sort of like "the luck of the Irish." After suffering through centuries of oppression, poverty, severe starvation, bloody repression of rebellions, that constitutes "luck" for the people of Ireland?

Tennessee might get lucky and defeat Connecticut with a new coach. But I can't look back at the collapse of the UT WCBB program over the past dozen years and call that "luck."

It would have been "lucky" if the series ended accidentally or due to a third party. This wasn't luck. Tennessee made the unilateral decision to end the series when they did. They ran from Uconn.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I mean, from the standpoint of hoping for a competitive game/rivalry, the author is basically right. Post-Holly UT will be better, and Geno has more questions to answer this off-season than at just about any time since the post-DT era. For anyone who wants to see a good game (and by "good" I mean competitive and close), this fall offers a much better chance of that than basically any time since 2008.

Reaction Score
Like Shug Jordan said about Bear Bryant, "He can take his'n and beat your'n then take your'n and beat his'n" (you must use an Alabama accent to get this right :rolleyes:) Just substitute Walz for Jordan and Geno for the Bear.
Hmmm... Bum Phillips make that exact same quote about Don Shula (pretty much same accent too, I'm sure). I'm sure Bum said it while he was coaching in the NFL, 1975-85. Shug probably said it about Bear while he was coaching at Auburn, 1951-75. So it looks like Bum may have plagiarized Shug...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom