Lady Vols renewing series with UConn at right time after dodging the dynasty | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lady Vols renewing series with UConn at right time after dodging the dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I truly hope that UConn vs TN regains the notoriety as one of the top rivalries in WBB. As for the game this coming season, the LV’s will likely be getting a basketball lesson from the Huskies.

While KJH may well turn the LV program in the right direction, it’s not going to happen right away. The early season trip to UConn will be an opportunity for TN to learn.
Don't see it happening. It will be a nostalgic thing for a few seasons and fade away. Think "U game."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I referring to the development of average players versus McDonald's All-Americans. Our bench came in average and have improved modestly. They could not compete with a team of McDonald's All-Americans as was Beemer premise.

Sure our bench looks average. But we are comparing it to a starting team historically filled with AA's I am confident that UConn's bench, filled with seniors, will make up for any lack of talent with their experience. I've seen many many times on more teams than just UConn when players who showed little for 3 years step up as seniors. Nelson for the Irish & Gardler for UConn are 2 examples. I'm not saying they will play major roles individually but that 10-15 minutes each for 4 players would be 20%-30% of the minutes played, and with a freshman possibly starting and a foul-prone post they will have to be ready. And sometimes when they become seniors there are no upperclassmen there to stand behind, if you know what I mean.
I'm normally a cynical person but I am very confident that things are a lot brighter for next season than many think. Dangerfield will now have the ball in her own hands, where she does the most damage. Williams will actually get the ball more too. Her talent is obvious and I think she held back and let the experienced AA seniors run the show. Same with Walker. I looked back at the HS reports of ONO. The praise was for her defensive play, rebounding, shot blocking, lateral quickness, quick leaping, etc. Her offense was described as "emerging". So that explains the missed bunnies. And I'd prefer to see them have to teach a 6'5" post to shoot than teach them to play defense. (see Stevens) I expect ONO to be among the leaders in rebounds and blocked shots. Coombs is the dark horse. She came back after a scary life-threatening condition, which has to shake anyone's confidence. She has emerged as probably the best defender on the team (not that that is a big deal) with hands as quick as 2 diamondbacks. She was a hotshot HSAA and could still have some upside but even if not, still will be a huge asset just for her defense.

Reaction Score
I truly hope that UConn vs TN regains the notoriety as one of the top rivalries in WBB. As for the game this coming season, the LV’s will likely be getting a basketball lesson from the Huskies.

While KJH may well turn the LV program in the right direction, it’s not going to happen right away. The early season trip to UConn will be an opportunity for TN to learn.

Harper needs to get the program faced forward. It's been looking backwards for years and anyone can see that doesn't work. I don't want to sound cold but the LV's need to stop being a memorial to their late coach. Get rid of that empty chair. No one needs to be reminded of Pat, especially at any LV game. All that chair does is remind the players who isn't their coach, diminishing who is.

If all Harper does is abandon what passed as an offense for the last 10 years then she is halfway home.

Reaction Score
Apparently UCONN's dynasty is over according to this writer who believes TENN is replaying UCONN at the right time.
"Tennessee women's basketball got lucky when it came to Connecticut. The Lady Vols were fortunate to end their series with the Huskies after UT won the 2007 national championship. When the series ended, Tennessee was on a three-game winning streak. UT also has been fortunate about the series renewal. When the teams play next season, UConn's roster won't have the caliber of talent that has produced 11 national championships."
"Bottom line: Tennessee dodged a dynasty."
"But when the once-famous rivalry is renewed next season, Tennessee will have more McDonald's All-Americans on its roster than UConn will."
Good article, Uconn came out a winner in that. Except.
Hey---I liked that article except believing Uconn won't be as good next year> All the sign posts say it will be better. If those that predict a recovered Touly are correct, look out post players you'll end up in the cheap seats. The major lack of the last 2 years (until the NCAA's) was a big and effective post player--Uconn got one in March--ONO!! She came to life, showed what she will be next fall. Then to that you add 2 very experienced CW and Megan (a small post), Danger is Danger probably the best guard in the country and a true leader. Add a Griffin, whom many believe is Div 1 ready, they may be hard to beat.
So Lady Vols-you missed some bullets, you failed to perform, you were loaded with talent--and what did you do with it? If you think Geno does not have a 155 mm artillery battery ready, think again. I feel a 60 drubbing of UT coming on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Harper needs to get the program faced forward. It's been looking backwards for years and anyone can see that doesn't work. I don't want to sound cold but the LV's need to stop being a memorial to their late coach. Get rid of that empty chair. No one needs to be reminded of Pat, especially at any LV game. All that chair does is remind the players who isn't their coach, diminishing who is.

If all Harper does is abandon what passed as an offense for the last 10 years then she is halfway home.
I'm a believer in : If a player is gone, she is gone. If a coach is gone you can't use her or her memory--look forwards (as you say) and not backwards. If you fail to look forward you may run into a buzz saw (name of which is not necessary). @Alydar really good post with good common sense--I hope LVs doesn't read your stuff, they'll get too smart!!

Reaction Score
Sure our bench looks average. But we are comparing it to a starting team historically filled with AA's I am confident that UConn's bench, filled with seniors, will make up for any lack of talent with their experience. I've seen many many times on more teams than just UConn when players who showed little for 3 years step up as seniors. Nelson for the Irish & Gardler for UConn are 2 examples. I'm not saying they will play major roles individually but that 10-15 minutes each for 4 players would be 20%-30% of the minutes played, and with a freshman possibly starting and a foul-prone post they will have to be ready. And sometimes when they become seniors there are no upperclassmen there to stand behind, if you know what I mean.
I'm normally a cynical person but I am very confident that things are a lot brighter for next season than many think. Dangerfield will now have the ball in her own hands, where she does the most damage. Williams will actually get the ball more too. Her talent is obvious and I think she held back and let the experienced AA seniors run the show. Same with Walker. I looked back at the HS reports of ONO. The praise was for her defensive play, rebounding, shot blocking, lateral quickness, quick leaping, etc. Her offense was described as "emerging". So that explains the missed bunnies. And I'd prefer to see them have to teach a 6'5" post to shoot than teach them to play defense. (see Stevens) I expect ONO to be among the leaders in rebounds and blocked shots. Coombs is the dark horse. She came back after a scary life-threatening condition, which has to shake anyone's confidence. She has emerged as probably the best defender on the team (not that that is a big deal) with hands as quick as 2 diamondbacks. She was a hotshot HSAA and could still have some upside but even if not, still will be a huge asset just for her defense.
Another good one, especially on ONO. I'll put money on Coombs ability to shoot in November--You, I believe will see a top Div one player has emerged. Geno likes her.

Reaction Score
The only thing about the article I disagree with is that the dynasty has, like the LV's, had it's run. With who is committed for 2020 and those likely to that year and the next it may be that the brightest stars are still ahead. Truly.

Reaction Score
Apparently UCONN's dynasty is over according to this writer who believes TENN is replaying UCONN at the right time.
"Tennessee women's basketball got lucky when it came to Connecticut. The Lady Vols were fortunate to end their series with the Huskies after UT won the 2007 national championship. When the series ended, Tennessee was on a three-game winning streak. UT also has been fortunate about the series renewal. When the teams play next season, UConn's roster won't have the caliber of talent that has produced 11 national championships."
"Bottom line: Tennessee dodged a dynasty."
"But when the once-famous rivalry is renewed next season, Tennessee will have more McDonald's All-Americans on its roster than UConn will."

Be careful what you ask for. Something tells me that they are not going to like the results!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Unless I’m mistaken, there were 2 McD AA’s coming off UConn’s bench this past season.
Unless I am mistaken the article is about next year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unless I am mistaken the article is about next year.
Unless, I’m mistaken the Huskies will have 2 McD AA’s on the bench again next year.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Unless, I’m mistaken the Huskies will have 2 McD AA’s on the bench again next year.
My point was even Geno can't take average players and turn them into winners against McD AAs. Without talent, serious talent, there are no NCAA championships.
1995 - Lobo, Wolters, Rizzotti
2000 - TASS
2002, 2003, 2004 - Taurasi
2009, 2010 - Moore, Charles, Ann Strother, Barbara Turner
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
My point was even Geno can't take average players and turn them into winners against McD AAs. Without talent, serious talent, there are no NCAA championships.
2000 - TASS
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
I agree with your main message in your first sentence, but you have your history mixed up if you think that Ann Strother and Barbara Turner were on the 2009 and 2010 teams. They both graduated in 2006. But you forgot to mention that Renee Montgomery and Tiffany Hayes were on the 2009 and 2010 teams.

There is a parallel between Barbara/Ann and Lou/Pheesa insofar as they won NC's as underclassmen on the Taurasi teams, but were not able to win an NC on teams that they led. At least Lou and Pheesa got to the Final Four every year, which Ann and Barbara did not do.

Reaction Score
There is no question the ending of the series came at the right time for Tenn. They would be looking at an 11 year losing streak to the Huskies. Moreover, the series continuing next year could not come at a better time than next season for them, since UCONN will be no where near as formidable as years gone by.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
2000 - TASS
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Fortunately, Geno has much better than average talent on his team, and that should continue for years to come.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Yeah, A lot of us like that quote. I was at school in Alabama from 67 to 72 and heard Shug say it during an interview. Being a Connecticut Yankee, I didn't know what he meant when he said 'urine' :confused:

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I have read the entire article and I'm trying to see where the writer said specifically that the UConn's dynasty has had it's run.

To me, this article simply compliments what UConn has accomplished. For the writer to say UT dodge a dynasty, Is just projecting that had the series continued on throughout that absent period of time, the series would be significantly more lopsided in Favor of UConn with possibly several embarrassing losses to a once proud rival..

He clearly stated even with more HS AA's on their team, that UConn will still be favored to win when they meet. I see absolutely nothing wrong with his projections ...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I agree with your main message in your first sentence, but you have your history mixed up if you think that Ann Strother and Barbara Turner were on the 2009 and 2010 teams. They both graduated in 2006. But you forgot to mention that Renee Montgomery and Tiffany Hayes were on the 2009 and 2010 teams.
There is a parallel between Barbara/Ann and Lou/Pheesa insofar as they won NC's as underclassmen on the Taurasi teams, but were not able to win an NC on teams that they led. At least Lou and Pheesa got to the Final Four every year, which Ann and Barbara did not do.

I added Barbara/Ann as an after I checked the spelling but placed them on the line below. I like you comparison between Barbara/An and Lou/Phee.

Reaction Score
Can't believe I wasted my time reading that mess. In the words of the great (well in his mind...great) Mercury Morris (Maimi Dolphins 1972 Super Bowl Champs), let me know when the Lady Vols are on our block! Right now they ain't even in town.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The LV's have really thrived since they cancelled the series behind a curtain of lies and slander. Why are we playing these chumps again?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The LV's have really thrived since they cancelled the series behind a curtain of lies and slander. Why are we playing these chumps again?
The 2 game series will benefit both the Naismith HOF and the Pat Summit Foundation, two causes that Geno strongly supports.

Reaction Score
I’m sure this article won’t end up on the UConn bulletin board with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one. :rolleyes:

I wonder how many on here get that reference? :);)

Reaction Score
I wouldn't do handicapping too soon.... and let KJH settle in and take control... probably will be a year or two before she can put her stamp on the program..... couple of classes of her recruits.....

and on KJH, I would predict her to be neither a know-nothing coach nor the "second coming" ... the one thing I feel confident saying at this point is that she is a marked improvement over Holly....

Reaction Score
I like the article to a degree as it is factual and gives UConn credit due. On the other hand as a well seasoned print media writer this was just something to fill the column for the day. They all do it just like others in different professions coast for a day. Not a soul that has followed woman's basketball for a good amount of time learned or were intrigued by anything in the story.

Just my thought of what would leave some questions to be answered and made the article compelling, would have been to present the challenge before Kellie. Most all coaches taking a new job are going into a situation where if it were a car, it's a domestic vehicle that needs a engine rebuild. This along with a timing belt, brakes all around, exhaust system and four new tires.
With the prestige of the Tenn program, the built in fan base and media, seven Micky D All Americans, Kellie has been handed the keys to a Lamborghini that simply needs detailing. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom