Kwintin Williams article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kwintin Williams article

Reaction Score
Against JUCO and community college schools? Yes. Against D1 Basketball.....no.
A lot more common than you think with 100+ D1 schools there are a bunch of weird paths kids across the country take.

Reaction Score
He posted an Instagram story of him taking some practice jumpers. About as substantive a display of shooting skills as we've gotten to see lol

Reaction Score
He was committed to Oregon, thats enough to convince me that he's someone to take a chance on despite his lack of organized basketball experience. They've done a nice job finding guys off the broken path to mix in with their high level recruits, just look at Chris Boucher for example.

pj

Reaction Score
Kwintin will be a great test of the staff's ability to develop players. He has tools but no playing experience. If they can make something of him, it will be a feather in their cap. And Kwintin seems mature enough that he'll make the most of his opportunity.

Reaction Score
He was committed to Oregon, thats enough to convince me that he's someone to take a chance on despite his lack of organized basketball experience. They've done a nice job finding guys off the broken path to mix in with their high level recruits, just look at Chris Boucher for example.
I keep reading about this Oregon commitment, but I haven't found a shred of evidence other than every article about his UConn commitment references him as "former Oregon commit", sometimes with the detail that he "committed after high school, but due to academic issues, didn't attend." No idea what the source is? Presumably Williams himself? I found no posts on Oregon fan threads, no recruitment articles referencing his original recruitment, no Tweets announcing anything, nothing. What am I missing?

Does it really matter? The dude dunks like crazy, is obviously an insane athlete. The coaches didn't offer him because Oregon did, they offered cause he's an athletic freak, and hopefully he can contribute to this team right away since he's like 35 years old.

But I feel like the Oregon thing sounds like a bit of BS/exaggeration, based on interest that never really materialized. IDK... I'm sure a bunch of you will freak out on me for saying that since that's what this board does best.

Reaction Score
The boneyard: "we just need warm bodies down low!"

Basketball gods: "well here's a 6'7 22(?) year old with a 48 inch vertical"

The boneyard: "BOOOOOOO!"
Definitely not saying "BOOOOOO!", but to be fair, we have like 7 players who are 6'7". And we have 0 players who are 6'9" or taller. So probably fair to assumed that when someone might hypothetically say "we just need warm bodies down low!", they were referring to warm bodies that aren't exactly the same heigh and build as all the other wings we already have, and they might be wondering what the plan is for the 5 spot, and how minutes will be distributed between like 8 players, with like 3 games of D1 experience between them, who should all be playing the 3 and 4 spot.

And just to clarify, I don't think we can't get away with playing small ball all year. Particularly in the AAC, and particularly in an age where that is a pretty valid approach to college ball. But the staff hasn't really clarified that as a strategy, and is coming off 4 years of riding Brimah for all he's worth protecting the rim.

Reaction Score
Definitely not saying "BOOOOOO!", but to be fair, we have like 7 players who are 6'7". And we have 0 players who are 6'9" or taller. So probably fair to assumed that when someone might hypothetically say "we just need warm bodies down low!", they were referring to warm bodies that aren't exactly the same heigh and build as all the other wings we already have, and they might be wondering what the plan is for the 5 spot, and how minutes will be distributed between like 8 players, with like 3 games of D1 experience between them, who should all be playing the 3 and 4 spot.

And just to clarify, I don't think we can't get away with playing small ball all year. Particularly in the AAC, and particularly in an age where that is a pretty valid approach to college ball. But the staff hasn't really clarified that as a strategy, and is coming off 4 years of riding Brimah for all he's worth protecting the rim.

To be fair, not all the critism in this thread has been as reasoned or rational as yours.

I'm concerned about his lack of experience and the team's lack of size. However, I think this is a fine use of a late scholarship.

Reaction Score
I keep reading about this Oregon commitment, but I haven't found a shred of evidence other than every article about his UConn commitment references him as "former Oregon commit", sometimes with the detail that he "committed after high school, but due to academic issues, didn't attend." No idea what the source is? Presumably Williams himself? I found no posts on Oregon fan threads, no recruitment articles referencing his original recruitment, no Tweets announcing anything, nothing. What am I missing?

Does it really matter? The dude dunks like crazy, is obviously an insane athlete. The coaches didn't offer him because Oregon did, they offered cause he's an athletic freak, and hopefully he can contribute to this team right away since he's like 35 years old.

But I feel like the Oregon thing sounds like a bit of BS/exaggeration, based on interest that never really materialized. IDK... I'm sure a bunch of you will freak out on me for saying that since that's what this board does best.
If Evan Daniels says that he was committed to Oregon, then I'm going by his word. The point of bringing Oregon up was to show that it wasn't like UConn was the only other high major school interested him, I'm not saying the coaches saw that he was committed to them and based their decision to offer based on that. Good bleeping grief.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Kwintin will be a great test of the staff's ability to develop players. He has tools but no playing experience. If they can make something of him, it will be a feather in their cap. And Kwintin seems mature enough that he'll make the most of his opportunity.

You're absolutely not wrong, just instructive to bear in mind that these guys are all not blank slates with unlimited potential. Even though he's got all the athletic ability in the world, he might have a ceiling mentally (BBIQ) or skill-wise, that great coaching can only reach, but not bust through.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If Evan Daniels says that he was committed to Oregon, then I'm going by his word. The point of bringing Oregon up was to show that it wasn't like UConn was the only other high major school interested him, I'm not saying the coaches saw that he was committed to them and based their decision to offer based on that. Good bleeping grief.

Must...see...the...offer....letter

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Definitely not saying "BOOOOOO!", but to be fair, we have like 7 players who are 6'7". And we have 0 players who are 6'9" or taller.

We got four guys listed at 6'9+. Now granted some might be mildly inflated, but you're being disingenuous there.

Polley - 6'9
Whaley - 6'9
Cobb - 6'9
Carlton - 6'10

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We got four guys listed at 6'9+. Now granted some might be mildly inflated, but you're being disingenuous there.

Polley - 6'9
Whaley - 6'9
Cobb - 6'9
Carlton - 6'10

Yeah, I don't get the lack of size issue. David Onuorah is 6'9". On top of the height, several of those guys have more muscle mass than any bigs we've had recently. Onuorah is 230 and Cobb is over 250 and Carlton is 235.

Polley is listed at 6'7" though.

Reaction Score
Size isn't a problem at all, the lack of experience could be a huge problem though. This is the least experienced team I've ever seen as a UConn fan.

Should at least make things interesting.

It also allows me to talk myself into this team being good.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You forgot Onuorah, 6-foot-9 and 242 pounds. Not like hes a tiny person.

Whoops. Hard to miss a guy that size, but I did.

And damn, we really did pick up a lot of guys. If you a couple pan out, we could be alright.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Size isn't a problem at all, the lack of experience could be a huge problem though. This is the least experienced team I've ever seen as a UConn fan.

No question. Having the experienced stud Junior PG is huge though. Can't be understated.

We just need 2 of these front court guys to pan out. Crossing my fingers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom