Kofi Illinois visit | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Kofi Illinois visit

Reaction Score
I believe Kofi's mentor is close with Coach Hurley. There is a connection there.

Biggest thing out of the article is that Kansas is not involved at this point. @kansashusky had mentioned this recently...Kansas is not in love with him at the moment. I will take my chances against Illinois, Pitt, and even NC State if they want to jump in late. Sounds like St Johns is moving on.

Reaction Score
^From the Zags article above, Kofi’s mentor:

Haven’t talked to them in the last few days,” Memminger said. “I have to have a conversation with coach Matt [Abdelmassih]. I haven’t talked to St. John’s in the last few days.”

As for Kansas, he said, “I’m not really hearing from Kansas.”

As for UConn, he said he was hearing from them. “Of course.”

Cockburn will take a few more visits and is eyeing the spring signing period.

“Basically, he’s going to take a few more visits and be looking to commit during the signing period in April,” Memminger said.

That Kofi has UConn Commit written all over him; I can feel it in my plums.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I believe Kofi's mentor is close with Coach Hurley. There is a connection there.

Biggest thing out of the article is that Kansas is not involved at this point. @kansashusky had mentioned this recently...Kansas is not in love with him at the moment. I will take my chances against Illinois, Pitt, and even NC State if they want to jump in late. Sounds like St Johns is moving on.
We knew Kansas had backed off(or really wasn’t all that involved from the start). It will be interesting to see if Kofi entertains NC State. They were not in his final 5. That would be an indication that he wasn’t sold on any of his top 5. I still believe he’s a UCONN lean, I also believe we are trending up for Wahab. Absolutely critical that we land one of the two. We should also look to bring in an athletic, versatile defensive presence on the grad transfer market if we miss on Precious.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We knew Kansas had backed off(or really wasn’t all that involved from the start). It will be interesting to see if Kofi entertains NC State. They were not in his final 5. That would be an indication that he wasn’t sold on any of his top 5.

Or he could just replace St Johns with NC State since it looks like the Johnnies are out of it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There are reasons for Kofi to chose any of the schools on his list and he likely already knows where he is going. It is the fans who hang on every word or action but don't have a clue about where he is going.
You are correct, however, I don't think Illini is in the fight
JMHO

Reaction Score
I think it's interesting that both our staff and UI's staff think they have Kofi. As KO has shown, sometimes the staff has no pulse on what a recruit is feeling. I would feel better if our insiders were tied into Kofi and not UConn boosters.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Want a good laugh listen to this clip from the Illini radio guy. “Kofi Cockburn is coming to Illinois! Well unless he chooses a different school”. :D

Twitter

Reaction Score
UNC and UConn make the most sense. It would be a major shock if he went somewhere else.

C

Chief00

Let’s be fair with Memminger. He’s a good guy , who’s just doing his job, not only with Kofi but thinking of future guys he will have. The reasons he says something may not be for Kofi’s consumption but for other audiences. He needs to be an effective mentor long after Kofi leaves his stable.

Reaction Score
With both Kofi and Precious, St. John's is picking a horrible time to get good. Instead of woosifying after Seton Hall they totally clocked Marquette.

We cannot lose sight of the fact that these are both city kids. The Garden has to hold some value. Mullin is still a local hero. If he has finally got it going that could have a big time effect on recruiting City kids.

UconnU

Reaction Score
With both Kofi and Precious, St. John's is picking a horrible time to get good. Instead of woosifying after Seton Hall they totally clocked Marquette.

We cannot lose sight of the fact that these are both city kids. The Garden has to hold some value. Mullin is still a local hero. If he has finally got it going that could have a big time effect on recruiting City kids.
St Johns is out of the Cockburn sweepstakes.

Reaction Score
Let’s be fair with Memminger. He’s a good guy , who’s just doing his job, not only with Kofi but thinking of future guys he will have. The reasons he says something may not be for Kofi’s consumption but for other audiences. He needs to be an effective mentor long after Kofi leaves his stable.

Is that the same Memminger that mentored Kentan Facey?

UconnU

Reaction Score
Is that the same Memminger that mentored Kentan Facey?
Yes, Ren’s coach and famous “handler” of Jamaican kids. I would prefer not to know the exact details of how he operates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom