Kofi Commits to Illinois | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Kofi Commits to Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a total head scratcher
After the game yesterday we were talking to someone who is close to the program and he said there was excitement surrounding the program about the impending announcement ( I didn't know he was announcing this early) but he also said one coach was feeling nervous (not Dan Hurley - no comment on his perspective).
I never thought Illini was even in the picture
But in hindsight, the B10 gets more exposure, they are known for some bruising big guys - it isn't the AAC
All those thinking that UConn has a shot with Precious - it's not going to happen IMHO - Kofi was a better bet than Precious.
Getting a step-in big from the HS ranks is going to be hard but it is what this team needs so badly
Back to the drawing board- time for some Dan Hurley magic
This has to be a bummer - just hope that the committed recruits who are tight with Kofi don't turn around and ditch UConn
Needed Kofi to get precious.

Reaction Score
Is anyone on him? Feels like he fell off the face of the Earth
He’s never healthy. Not too much interest but I know Bobby Hurley offered. I wouldn’t want him though.

Reaction Score
if you're referring to bouk and gaffney, who have both signed their LOIs, it doesnt seem like either were very tight with kofi seeing as how the announcement caught them by surprise
Agreed, the replied to Kofi basically laughing at him choosing Illinois. They seem locked in on UConn

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
if you're referring to bouk and gaffney, who have both signed their LOIs, it doesnt seem like either were very tight with kofi seeing as how the announcement caught them by surprise
stranger things have happened with LOIs - because it seemed to take them by surprise doesn't take them being tight out of the equation

Reaction Score
In a vacuum losing Kofi isn't that bad when we're in a good spot for Mitchell and Wahab. But this one is gonna hurt. Kofi is a day 1 starter and contributor, I'm not so sure the others are

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Would hope we go after Marial now. No reason not to take a chance at this point.

Reaction Score
Would hope we go after Marial now. No reason not to take a chance at this point.

would be the first time the hurley bros have competed for a recruit. that alone would make it interesting

Reaction Score
Anyone ever stop and consider our playing style over the last decade is not particularly appealing to any high talent big? We haven't/don't run any offense through them, and unless they're a decent rim protector they're left out to dry constantly by our guards poor defense (bazz and boat aside...and even they gambled a lot).

Doesn't appear to be something that's going to change either with hurley saying he wants to emmulate nova

Reaction Score
Well, that's what I think is the most realistic thing.

Get a good big in. Either of these guys works fine. Then i'd get a big via transfer and go back to the drawing board next year to try and get that major commit from a real impact big man.

You'd be looking at two top-100 guards, two top 100 front court guys and a transfer who hopefully rebounds/protects the rim and I think with some improvement with everyone else, you're making this a better team in theory.

And you're also saving a scholarship to get that guy you really want. It could be a big difference in year-3 when you've got a fully matured Gilbert/Wilson and a growing Akok/Bouknight/Gaffney with some parts.

At that point - what happens with Carlton in that time period happens. If he gets better, then that's fantastic. If he doesn't, whatever.

In your "year 3" theory Carlton has already left.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
When the news broke earlier that it looked like we missed on Kofi i checked the 24/7 JUCO commits list for top 2019 bigs. That ship has sailed unless you want to try Dimon Carrigan.
I asked about Dimon in another thread a couple days ago when I started seeing the writing on the wall and was told that the staff has had no contact with him and that he wasn't being considered basically
If we don't land either Mitchell or Wahab we are basically going to need to pray that some coaches get fired from schools that had decent bigs committed. That, or a grad transfer. We can't go into next season with Akok as the only new frontcourt add

I’d be happy to take Dimon if we miss on all 3 of these bigs. We need elite rim protection

Reaction Score
Maybe we could make a go fund me for Kids Of Far-away Islands, to raise money for much needed food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom