Kofi Commits to Illinois | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Kofi Commits to Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Suggesting we should start cheating because we missed out on one recruit is an extremely dumb opinion.
We have a top 20 recruiting class, and opportunities to even improve on that.

LOL - if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying.

There is nothing more hilarious than the idea everyone else is dirty and UConn has a squeaky clean past. Grow up Peter Pan.

Reaction Score
You’re going to lose out on kids, but this one really does feel $ketchy.

Reaction Score

There is nothing more hilarious than the idea everyone else is dirty and UConn has a squeaky clean past. Grow up Peter Pan.
Everyone cheats but we suck at it. We've never had legit bag men and we simply don't have the huge money guys willing to throw major coin at everything.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

Never said we had a clean past. Google "straw man". You're an expert at it.

I have 2 questions for you-

1. So since we had violations in the past under a different head coach, we should cheat again under Hurley because others do?
2. Do you believe Hurley had to cheat to get Gaffney, Bouknight and Akok?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

1. So since we had violations in the past under a different head coach, we should cheat again under Hurley because others do?

You are very upset over nothing.

I was really just mocking the pearl clutching - since 50 posters are saying Kofi got paid with exactly zero evidence.

He couldn’t possibly commit to Illinois! They suck!

Guess what UConn is behind them in the computers - so the argument you can’t commit somewhere that sucks commit to UConn is pretty stupid even for the Boneyard. UConn sucks every bit as much as Illinois.

And yeah as long as they don’t get caught or do something immoral I don’t give a rat’s behind what the program does to get players. I’d rather the recruits get paid than the dirtbag administrators.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yeah, there's no way a kid would ever want to commit to somewhere other than the school I've been rooting for my entire life!
No. I mean it came out of no where from it sounded like. You’re always one to just jump on posters without hesitation

Reaction Score
A million different things can happen between now and the start of next year. Losing Kofi hurts our recruiting rankings. I will wait until the dust settles before I declare this a loss in real life.

Reaction Score
you say that a lot about recruits, and i understand that getting commitments from akok and kofi would have scared off mitchell and wahab.

but just for arguments sake why can't we get all three of akok, mitchell and wahab now? two 4 stars and a 3 star in the front court isn't exactly at the duke/kentucky level of recruiting...

akok plays the 4, wahab plays the 5, and mitchell can play both positions. that's 26 mins/game each. hurley could mix and match the two starters depending on the opponent

having said all that i'll be happy with just one of mitchell/wahab and a grad transfer at this point.
Mitchell and Wahab play the same position. It would be nice if we could point to playing time and we know they'll both play. But it's just not realistic given our current situation to expect both to come.

It's always been 1 of Kofi/Mitchell/Wahab. Precius and Akok are in their own groups

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
You are very upset over nothing.

I was really just mocking the pearl clutching - since 50 posters are saying Kofi got paid with exactly zero evidence.

He couldn’t possibly commit to Illinois! They suck!

Guess what UConn is behind them in the computers - so the argument you can’t commit somewhere that sucks commit to UConn is pretty stupid even for the Boneyard. UConn sucks every bit as much as Illinois.

And yeah as long as they don’t get caught or do something immoral I don’t give a rat’s behind what the program does to get players. I’d rather the recruits get paid than the dirtbag administrators.
I'm dumbfounded at the idea that a fan would want their team to cheat when they are already having recruiting success. And yes, I'm operating under the assumption that Hurley has run a clean program since he took over here.

Reaction Score
This is nothing. Basketball existed before 1988.

I existed for about 6 months before 1988.

That said, I don't think anything could compare to any given week in the conference realignment -show.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm dumbfounded at the idea that a fan would want their team to cheat when they are already having recruiting success. And yes, I'm operating under the assumption that Hurley has run a clean program since he took over here.

It’s college sports. It’s how you win.

You must be puzzled often since the vast majority of fans of major programs completely support programs doing way more than I’d be comfortable with to get players.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

LMAO

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
at least we have the 4 banners to keep us warm at night

And Illinois had Red Grange. I wonder if their fans sleep well with that knowledge. Time flies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Who wouldn’t want their team to cheat in college recruiting? Why not cheat? There’s no ethical foundation to not paying players anyways so who cares. There’s no meaningful standard to uphold besides fear of being caught.

dantheman

@instorrsnow
Reaction Score

1. No
2. Hurley found diamonds in the rough in Jalen and Bouknight. Both were vastly underrated from a rankings perspective when Hurley “got in” on them. Gaffney is now only getting recognized as the top end talent he is after the exposure he recieved from an early UConn commit and a season being the guy with Cam Reddish now at Duke. Bouknight missed the AAU circuit the summer of his junior year with a torn meniscus and is very very new to the competitive basketball scene.

pretty sure im in agreement with your perspective in these responses, and overall we just need to step back from the ledge with the Hurley comments. Hes been here less than a year and weve gone from expecting all of our talent to transfer after a yr under ollie, to expecting coach hurley go 5 for 5 on the recruting trail. There will be loses, but we should be thankful it was this early and unlike prior regimes, this staff is prepared with plans, b, c and d

Reaction Score
I will be interested to see what Hurley does now. In the Ollie area, we wouldn’t really have a plan b, and that’s how KW and IW get on your team. I am fairly confident Hurley knew something was up with Kofi and that’s why we have put so much time in with Wahab. I know it hasn’t been a great week, but I will continue to trust in Hurley. I’m sure he and the staff are working several avenues we don’t even know about yet.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It’s college sports. It’s how you win.

You must be puzzled often since the vast majority of fans of major programs completely support programs doing way more than I’d be comfortable with to get players.
I support athletes getting paid. The NCAA rules are ridiculous.
But I don't support cheating, mainly because it is extremely painful to be banned from the postseason and lose scholarships, and it's opposing fans' only legitimate argument for disliking UConn/Calhoun era.
But if you'd like us to dish out money to recruits at risk of getting sanctioned by the NCAA and fall even more in the black hole that is the American Athletic Conference, then I guess I can't argue with you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I support athletes getting paid. The NCAA rules are ridiculous.
But I don't support cheating, mainly because it is extremely painful to be banned from the postseason and lose scholarships, and it's opposing fans' only legitimate argument for disliking UConn/Calhoun era.
But if you'd like us to dish out money to recruits at risk of getting sanctioned by the NCAA and fall even more in the black hole that is the American Athletic Conference, then I guess I can't argue with you.

Pretty sure I said as long as they don’t get caught.

You want respect from Syracuse fans? I don’t know if the nosepicker cheated but he could win 5 NCs in a row and I promise you there would be plenty of reasons to hate him.

The whole point is almost everyone hates the teams that win. I hate Carolina and Duke the most. It’s not because my favorite color is green.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Pretty sure I said as long as they don’t get caught.

You want respect from Syracuse fans? I don’t know if the nosepicker cheated but he could win 5 NCs in a row and I promise you there would be plenty of reasons to hate him.

The whole point is almost everyone hates the teams that win. I hate Carolina and Duke the most. It’s not because my favorite color is green.
Oh well then I'm in agreement with you about cheating if they don't get caught. Obviously you do whatever it takes if it means not hurting anyone and if there are no repercussions. That goes for anything in life I would say.

But that's not how it works. You can get caught for cheating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24