Kofi Commits to Illinois | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Kofi Commits to Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’d like to hear the why + the whole story. Now this isn’t set in stone yet, he could decommit, and a precious commitment could help that

Reaction Score
I remember reading on this board, it was an instagram screen shot I think, shortly after he visited UConn on his first OV. He was asked "when are you committing" and he replied "when I find a school I like". I'm sure someone could find it in an earlier Kofi thread, but this statement was a gimme that he was never all in.
He isn’t all in with Illinois either lmaoo. Good luck to the tho

Reaction Score
If he’s into money we can let him participate in some tv timeout contests

Reaction Score
Its quite simple why. Start with Orlando Antigua and someone affiliated with the Rens. Backstep from there and you will get your answer.
Don't normally let it bother me where an 18 year old goes but this one pisses me off, this wasn't really his decision. Makes me never want us to be involved with a Rens player again.

Reaction Score
Grad transfer big or bet the house on Carlton improving?

I'd assume in terms of us being better - yeah I mean i think a transfer has to be on the table right now, even if we get both of Mitchell and Wahab. Both of those guys are 3-4 year guys who I think will be very good by the time their time is up here, but in year-1, they're going to be Carlton, basically.

Carlton should take a step forward, but I'm stuck between him "spinning his wheels a bit right now and grinding through it" and "yeah, he's just not very athletic".

Regardless of which one he is - if you get a good transfer and an improved Carlton plus one or two of those guys, you're all of a sudden looking pretty interesting and that's a great problem to have. If you end up with Carlton playing badly and a transfer, you're hopefully covered.

Contrasted with a non-improving Carlton and Wahab/Mitchell - then well, more of this year.

So i'm all on board with a transfer if they have the space.

Reaction Score
We're not getting both of Mitchell and Wahab

you say that a lot about recruits, and i understand that getting commitments from akok and kofi would have scared off mitchell and wahab.

but just for arguments sake why can't we get all three of akok, mitchell and wahab now? two 4 stars and a 3 star in the front court isn't exactly at the duke/kentucky level of recruiting...

akok plays the 4, wahab plays the 5, and mitchell can play both positions. that's 26 mins/game each. hurley could mix and match the two starters depending on the opponent

having said all that i'll be happy with just one of mitchell/wahab and a grad transfer at this point.

Reaction Score
The biggest disappointment here is that this was one guy that you can simply post down low, dump it to him and let him work. I was already preparing for DH to do his Calhoun “Hit him you MF’er”.

With this ship sailing, I’d personally prefer Mitchell for an overall offensive 5.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Perfect way to end one of the worst weeks in program history!

Spazgurl.jpg

Reaction Score
Go the juco route if we have to. Need some mass down low with a pair of hands. Stopgap until we land a HS guy.

Reaction Score
Don't normally let it bother me where an 18 year old goes but this one pisses me off, this wasn't really his decision. Makes me never want us to be involved with a Rens player again.
I stopped letting it bother me when Prince Ali decommitted.

Reaction Score
having said all that i'll be happy with just one of mitchell/wahab and a grad transfer at this point.

Well, that's what I think is the most realistic thing.

Get a good big in. Either of these guys works fine. Then i'd get a big via transfer and go back to the drawing board next year to try and get that major commit from a real impact big man.

You'd be looking at two top-100 guards, two top 100 front court guys and a transfer who hopefully rebounds/protects the rim and I think with some improvement with everyone else, you're making this a better team in theory.

And you're also saving a scholarship to get that guy you really want. It could be a big difference in year-3 when you've got a fully matured Gilbert/Wilson and a growing Akok/Bouknight/Gaffney with some parts.

At that point - what happens with Carlton in that time period happens. If he gets better, then that's fantastic. If he doesn't, whatever.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Pointing out that pearl clutching over what happens in recruiting requires a cognative dissonance that is shocking?

I guess that feels better than accepting someone might pick somewhere else.
Suggesting we should start cheating because we missed out on one recruit is an extremely dumb opinion.
We have a top 20 recruiting class, and opportunities to even improve on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom