Kofi Cockburn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kofi Cockburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
No - in the last decade Jim coached - I will try to remember who the Big was - I guess the reporter thought the Big’s offense should be more diversified - Jim was happy with the dunks and wanted more - LOL!

If you ask me, Kofi is a lock with us. Hard to get Cockburn unless you've been involved in the Blaze strategy!

C

Chief00

If you ask me, Kofi is a lock with us. Hard to get Cockburn unless you've been involved in the Blaze strategy!
Love Kofi and UConnPhil’s optimism - but a “lock “ is probably overstating things. Good point, it does seem like Hurley and his staff have inherently and intuitively gotten some of the Blaze principles without Chief’s intervention. So we are starting at a much higher startimg point and who knows how high the ceiling is?

C

Chief00

We is a must get

So many fall in love with guards but with the exception of 2014 our F4’s were done with fairly good and big centers ( Jake, Mek, Thabeet & Alex).

C

Chief00

So many fall in love with guards but with the exception of 2014 our F4’s were done with fairly good and big centers ( Jake, Mek, Thabeet & Alex).
Do we win 1999 without Jake - No

2004 - Jim, Clyde and staff had assembled an all airport Bigs team - Mek, Josh, Hilton, & Charlie

2009 - Thabeet and Jeff

2011 - Alex - before he pulled an attitude. The dude helped recruit AD but then when he got here - got jealous of his talent.

Reaction Score

2004 - Jim, Clyde and staff had assembled an all airport Bigs team - Mek, Josh, Hilton, & Charlie

2009 - Thabeet and Jeff

2011 - Alex - before he pulled an attitude. The dude helped recruit AD but then when he got here - got jealous of his talent.
Take your pick. Remove any starter and we don't win.

C

Chief00

So the theme here is that when we've had a combination of really good guards and really good big men, we've won. Coach Hurley should try to build a team like that.

Sounds simple but sometimes people get guard happy just like out Football Defensive Coordinator gets DB happy. Obviously, good guards are key but let’s not forget the value of Bigs.
There are plenty of NCAA teams with good guards but if you look at the ones who also have good Bigs - those are generally the top teams. There are not a lot of teams that have good Bigs and that are not top 25.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Sounds simple but sometimes people get guard happy just like out Football Defensive Coordinator gets DB happy. Obviously, good guards are key but let’s not forget the value of Bigs.
There are plenty of NCAA teams with good guards but if you look at the ones who also gave good Bigs - those are generally the top teams. There are not a lot of teams that have good Bigs and that are not top 25.
Good insight. Teams with better players win more. That helps a casual fan like me understand this complex game

C

Chief00

Good insight. Teams with better players win more. That helps a casual fan like me understand this complex game
Quite frankly, let me provide a little further guidance. There’s a lot of 6-2 dudes who can play but not a lot of 6-9 dudes who play well. They are at a premium and you need to get some to be successful in D1.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
With the exception of 2002-2004 EO we have never had a dominant big man on both ends of the court. We had better than serviceable big men the majority of the time.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, let me provide a little further guidance. There’s a lot of 6-2 dudes who can play but not a lot of 6-9 dudes who play well. They are at a premium and you need to get some to be successful in D1.

WOW!............ponderous man............ponderous!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This is such a weird reframe. UConn is literally nothing in the F4 years without the guards (plural) it had on its roster.

Yeah, our bigs have been our most potent force for exactly one team (2004), and that team had Ben/Taliek on the perimeter.

You could argue that we'd have won again in 2009 and probably 2006 with one more potent guard.

Reaction Score

2009 - Thabeet and Jeff

Could you not say olander with a straight face for 2014 so just ignored them? That was the bazz and boat show all the way.

Regardless, the point is that basically all final 4 teams are well rounded...go figure

C

Chief00

Could you not say olander with a straight face for 2014 so just ignored them? That was the bazz and boat show all the way.

Regardless, the point is that basically all final 4 teams are well rounded...go figure
In 1999, against Duke we don’t win without Jake and the great Tim Higgins (LOL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom