KO vs UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

KO vs UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Pull the plug man and jet the forgiveness begin. I will be first in line.

Chief
latest

Reaction Score
And this is all from the guy who once stated “money don’t move me”. Rings more than a little hollow now.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Ollie has badly overplayed his hand, apparently due to a combination of lousy legal advice and his own desire to exact a measure of revenge against the university and everybody connected with it. Once he chose that path, Calhoun just became another enemy on UCONN's team. The word loyalty apparently means very little to Ollie, or is blindly trumped by the lure of chasing after $10.7 million unearned dollars. He had apparently kicked Calhoun to the curb well before the excrement hit the fan, so loyalty had already been thrown out the window.

As for the legal aspects of this circus, the longer it drags on the worse it gets for Ollie. Whether his attorneys took this case on a contingency fee or are billing him by the hour is largely irrelevant when you're up against a huge corp. or major governmental agency. At some point in the proceedings, being on the right or wrong side of the law doesn't matter much anymore. The side that can better weather the costs of protracted litigation always has the upper hand. In this case, it's pretty obvious that UCONN holds almost all of the cards, both practically and legally.

At some point, Ollie either runs out of money to pay any legal fees and expenses, or his attorneys grow tired of throwing their own time, effort, and expense money into a bottomless abyss with no positive result reasonably expected. That's when the case either gets settled, or the attorneys decide to part company with Ollie. That's how our civil litigation system works. Deeper pockets have the advantage and usually prevail.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Ollie has badly overplayed his hand, apparently due to a combination of lousy legal advice and his own desire to exact a measure of revenge against the university and everybody connected with it. Once he chose that path, Calhoun just became another enemy on UCONN's team. The word loyalty apparently means very little to Ollie, or is blindly trumped by the lure of chasing after $10.7 million unearned dollars. He had apparently kicked Calhoun to the curb well before the excrement hit the fan, so loyalty had already been thrown out the window.

As for the legal aspects of this circus, the longer it drags on the worse it gets for Ollie. Whether his attorneys took this case on a contingency fee or are billing him by the hour is largely irrelevant when you're up against a huge corp. or major governmental agency. At some point in the proceedings, being on the right or wrong side of the law doesn't matter much anymore. The side that can better weather the costs of protracted litigation always has the upper hand. In this case, it's pretty obvious that UCONN holds almost all of the cards, both practically and legally.

At some point, Ollie either runs out of money to pay any legal fees and expenses, or his attorneys grow tired of throwing their own time, effort, and expense money into a bottomless abyss with no positive result reasonably expected. That's when the case either gets settled, or the attorneys decide to part company with Ollie. That's how our civil litigation system works. Deep pockets have the advantage and usually prevail.

LOL "Deep Pockets"

we were 40 million in the hole last year, our BigEast carry over money dried up, and we and chose to nickel and dime swindle on a signed contract to save 10 million to get rid of a coach.

Yeah that screams of "Deep Pockets" to me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL "Deep Pockets"

we were 40 million in the hole last year, our BigEast carry over money dried up, and we and chose to nickel and dime swindle on a signed contract to save 10 million to get rid of a coach.

i cant get over how many people pretend they would walk away from 11 million dollars. it’s like 5.5 times the LIFETIME earnings of the average poster. its hilarious.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
LOL "Deep Pockets"

All that matters is the university has the ability to outlast Ollie financially. They've got their own staff attorneys on salary, and they won't quit paying their outside counsel until it gets resolved. Ollie doesn't have that luxury. This business has nothing to do with the athletic dept. budget.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
All that matters is the university has the ability to outlast Ollie financially. They've got their own staff attorneys on salary, and they won't quit paying their outside counsel until it gets resolved. Ollie doesn't have that luxury. This business has nothing to do with the athletic dept. budget.

spend millions in legal fees to cover for athletic department ineptness. solid plan.

Reaction Score
Forget about the $10million for now. Spending money and time to defend one's reputation is something we all should do. The lawyers are not going to bankrupt KO. They will see the case through with a flat fee. UCONN should settle it now and then fire DB. This AD is destroying UCONN

Reaction Score
Forget about the $10million for now. Spending money and time to defend one's reputation is something we all should do. The lawyers are not going to bankrupt KO. They will see the case through with a flat fee. UCONN should settle it now and then fire DB. This AD is destroying UCONN

*UConn.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Why do St. John’s fans care what UConn should do?

UConnNick

Reaction Score

Ollie hasn't defended his reputation, he's destroyed it. He lied to the school and the NCAA, got called on it, and now makes pathetic attempts to play the race card? He's well on his way to bankrupting himself because he's ruined most of his potential job prospects, at least at the college level.

As for our Athletic Director, no argument there. It was ridiculous to give him such a huge buyout in the first place, while writing in an exit clause for yourself and the university president.

Reaction Score
Funny. Around here(Colorado)the consensus is a)almost no one knows or cares and b)those that do think KO is getting a raw deal. So it does not seem the publicity is doing the school any good. Sad. Should have never come to this.

Reaction Score
Funny. Around here(Colorado)the consensus is a)almost no one knows or cares and b)those that do think KO is getting a raw deal. So it does not seem the publicity is doing the school any good. Sad. Should have never come to this.
Well when you present scientific research like that...

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
At this point I don't think he should be paid, at least not much. I think he misplayed this badly.

Teddy KGB concurs with the reaction you see everywhere.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Teddy KGB concurs with the reaction you see everywhere.
Agreed. It actually continues to surprise me how many people feel that way. Other than here, that is.

Reaction Score
Apparently not scientific enough.
Not really. It's just worthless anecdotal evidence.

Everyone at my office who's aware of the situation thinks Ollie should just go away. Doesn't mean that any real conclusions should be drawn from that.

Reaction Score
Not really. It's just worthless anecdotal evidence.

Everyone at my office who's aware of the situation thinks Ollie should just go away. Doesn't mean that any real conclusions should be drawn from that.
Guess that would depend where your office is. This seems to be a big deal in Connecticut, but no where else. This is also anecdotal. Out side of CT, people get the news on ESPN, which has taken a decidedly pro KO approach. So no, it does the school no good with PR or recruiting.

Reaction Score
Guess that would depend where your office is. This seems to be a big deal in Connecticut, but no where else. This is also anecdotal. Out side of CT, people get the news on ESPN, which has taken a decidedly pro KO approach. So no, it does the school no good with PR or recruiting.
I'm in New York. I'd also argue that less and less people are getting their news from ESPN, but that's not really the point. I just don't think you can say the situation has had a negative impact solely based on the opinions of the minuscule number of people any one person talks to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom