Knight Commission | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Knight Commission

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How can they distribute money back to the women's programs when the NCAA doesn't make any money off of them? Where is the money going to come from? Did the people on these commissions get their finance degrees from Providence? They live in a fantasy world.
Well, to be fair, we live in a world in which you can get “refundable tax credits”. The logic is pretty similar.

Reaction Score
Are you sure? I feel as if that was part of what dinged in the whole (B.S.) APR scandal.
I could be wrong but I believe it's been changed since then with the rise in transfers. Someone mentioned it in one of the dozen transfer threads this offseason

CL82

Reaction Score
Good one but that doesn’t change the fact that the ncaa undervalues Womens sports and it feeds into the false narrative that nobody cares about Womens sports
Yeah, respectfully disagree. There is a whole lot of speculation in that report. It’s been discussed ad nauseam, but, the fair market value for women’s basketball has been established by the market. It is the price that ESPN pays CBS for the rights. The fact that someone “imagines“ that the woman’s tournament can make more really doesn’t change that. For what it’s worth, I’ve read the underlined report and it is “speculative“ at best.

That said, on a go forward basis, I’d suggest the same “profit“ sharing rules be applied to both the men’s and women’s tournament. Further, I would suggest that the rates be sold separately, and not as a bundle with the men’s basketball rights. In that way the value of the rights can be agreed-upon, as key in the expenses of the tournaments and whether or not there is a net profit.

Reaction Score
Because they don't equally bring in revenue, one sport brings in around a billion dollars while other sports lose money for the NCAA.
But they are non-profit, tax-exempt entities that exist for the greater good (which is why they enjoy their tax-exempt status).

Why shouldn't entities that enjoy their tax-exempt status for the greater good, actually behave in a manner that supports the greater good?

Reaction Score
It's not completely absurd to redistribute the income to teams that participate in a tournament that does not turn a profit.

For example, my company (and virtually all large corporations) provide a year-end bonus. They don't ask which division you work for and how much profit you made for the company in the previous year. Bonuses are paid based on company performance, your individual salary grade and to some degree your individual performance rating. The performance rating has little connection to company profit.

Think of the teams and tournaments that don't turn a profit as an overhead department. They still get an annual bonus.

Reaction Score
But they are non-profit, tax-exempt entities that exist for the greater good (which is why they enjoy their tax-exempt status).

Why shouldn't entities that enjoy their tax-exempt status for the greater good, actually behave in a manner that supports the greater good?
You need money for it to operate? The NCAA only really makes money from the men's basketball tournament. That tournament is the greater good, it's what funds women's basketball and every other sport which loses money. You want women's basketball and all the other non-revenue generating sports to get the same pay as men's basketball? Sam Houston's bowling team should get the same payout as North Carolina men's basketball?

Reaction Score
I think not hyping up the women's tournament as much as the men's is why fewer people watch it and not calling it March Madness plays into that.
If there is such parity why doesn’t UConn charge the same for tickets to the women’s team?? They are stupidly leaving $$ on the table. They should raise women’s ticket prices ASAP or cut the men’s tickets to match the women’s prices

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Or don't click on a threat that doesn't interest you.

The article discusses racial disparities as well. Should we create and move this to a segregated board so you can remain comfortable?
stripes lighten GIF

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
If there is such parity why doesn’t UConn charge the same for tickets to the women’s team?? They are stupidly leaving $$ on the table. They should raise women’s ticket prices ASAP or cut the men’s tickets to match the women’s prices
You are very close to seeing the point that I'm making

Reaction Score
You need money for it to operate? The NCAA only really makes money from the men's basketball tournament. That tournament is the greater good, it's what funds women's basketball and every other sport which loses money. You want women's basketball and all the other non-revenue generating sports to get the same pay as men's basketball? Sam Houston's bowling team should get the same payout as North Carolina men's basketball?
No, the tournament is not the greater good. The schools don't exist for the tournament, the tournament exists for the schools. I'm asking why schools shouldn't receive an equal payout.

You're saying Depaul men's basketball, with their 1 NCAA tournament win in the last 30+ years, deserves to get paid more because Nova won a national championship?

The NCAA already considers academic performance and how many sports the schools sponsor when splitting up the funds by conference.

Reaction Score
Even if there's only a little profit it is weird the NCAA awards no money to the teams that play on the women's tourney. What could possibly be the reason for that?
Is there any profit? I would think they lose money. As far as I know the only NCAA sports that are profitable are football and men’s basketball. I’m sure the UConn women’s team is an exception, but I believe overall college sports bleed money.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Is there any profit? I would think they lose money. As far as I know the only NCAA sports that are profitable are football and men’s basketball. I’m sure the UConn women’s team is an exception, but I believe overall college sports bleed money.
No they don't make any profit. I think there's five sports which are profitable. Football, men's basketball, baseball, men's wrestling, and men's hockey. Men's basketball covers almost all the costs for all the other NCAA sports.

CL82

Reaction Score
That is my understanding as well.

Reaction Score
Two things can be true at once.

Is the women's tournament as valuable as the men's tournament? No

Is the women's tournament undervalued by the NCAA? Yes

If the women's tournament were to go to market as a standalone property and not tied to the remaining championships, it would certainly return a profit.

Reaction Score
Two things can be true at once.

Is the women's tournament as valuable as the men's tournament? No

Is the women's tournament undervalued by the NCAA? Yes

If the women's tournament were to go to market as a standalone property and not tied to the remaining championships, it would certainly return a profit.
Please explain that last sentence. How would it instantly become profitable when it hasn't been profitable for so long? How would it instantly become profitable when it hasn't been profitable for so long?

Reaction Score
Please explain that last sentence. How would it instantly become profitable when it hasn't been profitable for so long? How would it instantly become profitable when it hasn't been profitable for so long?
The women's tournament is currently packaged with a the non men's NCAA tournament for tv purposes. If it were sold as a standalone property it would fetch around $100 million per year. The women's tournament cost 14.5 million in 2019, even assuming a 20% growth over the last couple of years, it would still come out with a profit.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Have the NCAA and each college fund their each specific sport with its own revenue.

You want a good mens crew team? Bust out the cash donors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom