Knight Commission | The Boneyard

Knight Commission

Reaction Score
This is insane, they must really want men's basketball to break away from the NCAA...

Even if there's only a little profit it is weird the NCAA awards no money to the teams that play on the women's tourney. What could possibly be the reason for that?

Reaction Score
"The NCAA awards 28% of its annual revenue distribution based on Division I men's basketball teams' wins and participation in the NCAA men's March Madness tournament".

Seems like lazy reporting not to mention how much of the NCAA annual revenue comes from the men's basketball tournament. If it's more than 28% I think there's a conversation to be had.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
The same reason the schools in the Cross Country and Rifle championships aren't awarded money, they don't bring any money into the NCAA.
Because the networks, prior to this year, spent little to no time marketing the women's tournament. They weren't even allowed to brand it March Madness until this season.

Reaction Score
The non-revenue sports may not bring in any money to the NCAA, but they certainly benefit when UConn gets $x amount due to men's basketball success. A rising tide lifts all ships. Why shouldn't other schools benefit considering they had as much to do with the generation of those revenues as the non-revenue programs at the school?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The same reason the schools in the Cross Country and Rifle championships aren't awarded money, they don't bring any money into the NCAA.
I assume the women's tourney produces some revenue. But I'd wonder if it is a net positive more merely enough to offset the costs of hosting it.

"The general principle should be, if money is going out to male teams for any reason, it should be going to female teams for the same reason," said Robbie Kaplan, the founding partner of the firm.

I'm ok with that as long as the "reason" is that the tournament produce revenues and it is shared with the schools. It certainly shouldn't be the same amount of money.

Reaction Score
I'm ok with the NCAA doing some income redistribution. It's not exactly a for-profit organization. Nor is it a competent organization.... so sure, why not

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even if there's only a little profit it is weird the NCAA awards no money to the teams that play on the women's tourney. What could possibly be the reason for that?
Just thinking out loud, but is it possible the women's tournament loses money? I really don't know. Short of that, I'm with you. I'm actually a bit skeptical of the statement made by the Knight Org.

Reaction Score
Just thinking out loud, but is it possible the women's tournament loses money? I really don't know. Short of that, I'm with you. I'm actually a bit skeptical of the statement made by the Knight Org.
The women's tournament loses a little bit of money and the men's tournament makes close to a billion dollars which funds all the rest of the NCAA sports.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
You think not using the March Madness name is why so few people watch women's basketball compared to men's basketball?
I think not hyping up the women's tournament as much as the men's is why fewer people watch it and not calling it March Madness plays into that.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Neither proposal is very good. The women don’t bring in as much revenue as the men. I could understand giving out NCAA tournament shares to women’s teams at a fraction of the men based on the disparity of revenue.

With regards to the racial equity system of pulling bonuses based on graduation rates of more than 25% difference between white and black athletes, you would actually be hurting black athletes as schools would be less likely to take players that could leave early for the pros (who would be predominantly black in basketball and football) and ding the APR.

Reaction Score
why is it insane for non-profit, tax-exempt, entities to share revenues equally?
Because they don't equally bring in revenue, one sport brings in around a billion dollars while other sports lose money for the NCAA.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What if there was no profit? The vast majority of NCAA championships are an expense, not a profit making venture. Now, I’d be fully supportive of a formula that awards X percentage points of profit for each win by a college team regardless of gender but if the woman’s championship isn’t making any money, then there’d be nothing to allocate.

Reaction Score
I assume the women's tourney produces some revenue. But I'd wonder if it is a net positive more merely enough to offset the costs of hosting it.

"The general principle should be, if money is going out to male teams for any reason, it should be going to female teams for the same reason," said Robbie Kaplan, the founding partner of the firm.

I'm ok with that as long as the "reason" is that the tournament produce revenues and it is shared with the schools. It certainly shouldn't be the same amount of money.
This article explains the revenue disparity and the money/funding gap...

NCAA document shows men's, women's tournament money gaps - The Athletic

Reaction Score
Neither proposal is very good. The women don’t bring in as much revenue as the men. I could understand giving out NCAA tournament shares to women’s teams at a fraction of the men based on the disparity of revenue.

With regards to the racial equity system of pulling bonuses based on graduation rates of more than 25% difference between white and black athletes, you would actually be hurting black athletes as schools would be less likely to take players that could leave early for the pros (who would be predominantly black in basketball and football) and ding the APR.
Completely off base on the second part. Ignoring all the undertones, your APR is not hurt if you leave the school in good standing academically

Reaction Score
How can they distribute money back to the women's programs when the NCAA doesn't make any money off of them? Where is the money going to come from? Did the people on these commissions get their finance degrees from Providence? They live in a fantasy world.

Reaction Score
I think not hyping up the women's tournament as much as the men's is why fewer people watch it and not calling it March Madness plays into that.
I dunno man. I think women's basketball truly does have significantly less mass appeal to today's society than men's basketball. Is a lot of that because of misogyny and the historical relegation of women to certain roles? Personally, I say hell yes. But to imply that, given the same amount of advertising and hype, the women's tournament would be anywhere near as profitable as the men's tournament seems wildly naïve.

That's not to say I'm not for measures that encourage gender equity in college sports. I just don't think we need to argue about the relative marketability of the various sports to have that discussion.

CL82

Reaction Score
Agree completely! In prior years, I didn’t watch the women’s tournaments at all because I was confused that it wasn’t called March madness. :rolleyes:

CL82

Reaction Score
Completely off base on the second part. Ignoring all the undertones, your APR is not hurt if you leave the school in good standing academically
Are you sure? I feel as if that was part of what dinged in the whole (B.S.) APR scandal.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
Agree completely! In prior years, I didn’t watch the women’s tournaments at all because I was confused that it wasn’t called March madness. :rolleyes:
Good one but that doesn’t change the fact that the ncaa undervalues Womens sports and it feeds into the false narrative that nobody cares about Womens sports

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom