KML out 3 weeks... (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KML out 3 weeks... (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Wonder if this in part explains all of the "KML is out of shape" comments following the original injury?

Some teams will be licking their chops on this news. The season just got a lot tougher.

Get well Kaleena!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Best of luck and recovery, KML.

The team will circle the wagons, respond with optimism and gutsy swag, and play their hearts out. That’s for sure.

Some Boneyarders will respond with negativity and pessimism. That also is for sure.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Best of luck and recovery, KML.

The team will circle the wagons, respond with optimism and gutsy swag, and play their hearts out. That’s for sure.

Some Boneyarders will respond with negativity and pessimism. That also is for sure.
It's difficult not to be negative about this news. It's the pessimism we don't need.

Reaction Score
Doubtful she is done for the year, although stamina may be an issue when she returns. However there are a lot of degrees of mono and she may well be able to work out for the latter part of the 3-6 weeks. Often the biggest issue governing a return is having the spleen return to normal. When my daughter had mono, she was able to work out for a couple of weeks prior to being cleared for contact sports. In total she was out a month.

As for others getting it, mono is not very contagious except for a possible situation involving players sharing the same water bottle

Reaction Score
It will definitely be a tough road without KML but if we can push through and still win a NC it will mean a lot more.

Reaction Score
I would assume that logically if she isn't able to practice for at least a month that would mean her season is over. That is terrible news. There are only a few games left of the regular season.

I don't think that is true. There is a good possibility she will be able to work out for awhile before being cleared to practice due to the spleen risk. Many have come back from mono in the amount of time left in the season.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It's possible she was ill for some time and it was just diagnosed.
under those circumstances, it's possible that he virus has already started to run its course and the three-week
return possibility is not out of the question.

I contracted the disease in the army, and after a day or two of misery, comfortably lounged around the West Point hospital for 6 weeks while missing out on tramping around the fall parade-season, a not unhappy prospect at the time.

For many, with some required rest, the principal unpleasantness is soon over, but it takes some time to feel oneself.

Best wishs to KML and bon chance for the team.

HuskyJohn

Popular poster
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, I Googled on mononucleosis and recovery time and got to following from this website:

http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/infectious_mononucleosis.html

"The acute phase generally lasts 1-2 weeks; at the end of that time, normal stamina is regained to about 90%. Full recovery may take 1-2 months, possibly longer."

If other websites provide similar information, then I can only assume that there is a fair amount of ambiguity about time-related issues of Kaleena's return. Since the roster is so thin, I assume that if 1) it is safe for Kaleena to return and 2) she can contribute to the team at all effectively with limited minutes, her return for the NCAAs can be nothing other than a big plus.

Let's hope!

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Looks like our little Saniya is going to have to grow up muy pronto. Personally, I have no doubt that she will.

HGN

Reaction Score
Like I said in one of my previous posts, I don't know which one of you guys got the dolls with UConn jerseys and sticking them with needles , but stop already.

Reaction Score
So number 9 just got a lot more difficult but let's not forget who we still have. Stewie, Bria, Stef, and MoJeff. With some luck BB will soon be ready to play. The biggest concerns now are fouls and fatigue. I trust Geno will manage both. I also think the 2 walk-ons will contribute minutes for a breather if nothing else. Like someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, if they win this one it will be real special.

Reaction Score
Doubtful she is done for the year, although stamina may be an issue when she returns. However there are a lot of degrees of mono and she may well be able to work out for the latter part of the 3-6 weeks. Often the biggest issue governing a return is having the spleen return to normal. When my daughter had mono, she was able to work out for a couple of weeks prior to being cleared for contact sports. In total she was out a month.

As for others getting it, mono is not very contagious except for a possible situation involving players sharing the same water bottle

20 minutes of playing time for KML is more productive then most players playing 40 minutes.

U

UCONNfan1

So bummed for her. Anyone who's had mono knows that you are exhausted and the recovery from it, especially for an elite athlete, goes much longer than the actual disease in your body lasts. It's possible she's essentially done for the year. Mono can last for "only" weeks, but the exhaustion and lack of energy/stamina can last up to several months.

Welcome to the starting lineup Kiah or Brianna... not the way anyone wanted this year to progress.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
can we get some words of encouragement from TonyC?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Is there any mention of her left elbow? May we assume that is not significantly injured?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
After having an initial reaction of shock mixed with anger mixed with dismay, I now have calmly - with an assist to Dewers scotch - come to the conclusion that Stef, Bria, Stewie and MoJeff will somehow WILL this team to victory. Yes, they are that good.

Edit to avoid the hideous posting delay. :mad:

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 4m
Mononucleosis requires complete rest. It's going to be a long road for Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis. Think Sweet 16 .... #UConnwomen

Reaction Score
So number 9 just got a lot more difficult but let's not forget who we still have. Stewie, Bria, Stef, and MoJeff. With some luck BB will soon be ready to play. The biggest concerns now are fouls and fatigue. I trust Geno will manage both. I also think the 2 walk-ons will contribute minutes for a breather if nothing else. Like someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, if they win this one it will be real special.
The problem is that strategy will be to be very physical and hope Geno needs to put in the walk-ons due to fouls. My biggest worry now.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Is there any mention of her left elbow? May we assume that is not significantly injured?
One of the horde tweeted that her elbow is not an issue.

Reaction Score
Looking at the treatment protocols for athletes, it seems to me the length of time depends completely on the swelling in the spleen and that 3 weeks is at the short end of normal for getting back to contact sports. Here is the science:

Splenic rupture is a rare but potentially fatal complication of infectious mononucleosis. Athletes returning to contact sports following infectious mononucleosis are at potential risk of splenic rupture secondary to abdominal trauma. No clear consensus exists as to when it is safe to allow these athletes to return to contact sports. Suggested periods of abstinence have ranged from 2 weeks to 6 months. We outline our experiences with the use of abdominal ultrasonography at 1 month after the diagnosis of infectious mononucleosis as a means of determining when athletes can safely return to contact sports. Our study group was made up of 19 such patients (mean age: 16.7 yr). We found that 16 of these patients (84%) had normal splenic dimensions on ultrasonography 1 month after diagnosis, and they were therefore allowed to return to contact sports.

Reaction Score

Which they are very careful to NOT do in sports, so that won't be a problem.

Reaction Score
The problem is that strategy will be to be very physical and hope Geno needs to put in the walk-ons due to fouls. My biggest worry now.
Yup. The Louisville strategy: foul, foul, and foul because you know they won't/can't call them all. Pack the paint and force UConn into shooting 3's all night and hope they are off. If UConn gets up 15-20 against anyone but Louisville, they need to use Lawlor and Pulido heavily if for no other reason than to give starters a rest and avoid injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom