Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Glenn; Am I correct in assuming that there is no significant difference between the recovery time for a highly-conditioned athlete like Kaleena and a non-athlete?

Reaction Score
You don't know that. Again how about we wait until we hear from Geno and KML.

But that's what KML said in the Courant blog. They will take x-rays on her spleen in 2 weeks and she hopes if it's better she can return.

Did you even bother to read what the people involved had to say? I forgot. You don't have to. You already know she's done for the year.

Last edited:

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Is there any mention of her left elbow? May we assume that is not significantly injured?
That is one silver lining...at least her elbows have time now to get well.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“Since November there's been a lot of headshaking, a lot of weird things that have happened that are unusual and that is kind of what has been what is happening with us,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “It does get a little bit frustrating but only because of what we can and don't do in practice. You know how bad they want to play and how competitive they are but in terms of our ability to win games there's nobody on our staff and nobody on our team who feels it is going to have any effect on our ability to win games.”

Fuller: KML hoping to return soon

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You don't see the point of posting your opinion or the possible outcomes regarding a UConn women's basketball player on a UConn women's basketball forum?

Knock yourself out. You look great with your "most likely out for the season".

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Recovery can certainly be variable, as listed above. It is hard to point fingers about who gave a person the virus as bot EBV and CMV viruses can be shed in the saliva for weeks to months at infectious levels after someone recovers and many people who are infected may have minimal symptoms.
I had mono over Christmas break my freshman year at UConn and less than a month later set my personal record in the 1500 meters, so we can certainly hope for a rapid recovery (on the other end of course, Heather Buck redshirted for a year).

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'm actually heartened (somewhat) that they gave it a timeframe at all.

I've known a lot of people in the past - high school athletes, non-athletes, and college -- who came down with mono, and their recovery times were all over the map.

A few were back in action in a month like nothing happened; others missed entire semesters. So I didn't know that there was, statistically at least, an expected range like this.

I'll just have to cross my fingers.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Hey guys what's the pity party for. Here's how I see it. We are without Tuck and KML again. We went through the tuffest part of our season without them and played top ranked teams and won big time. So we may struggle against LVille in 3 weeks so what. I don't think we lose to them, do you? Yeah we might play a couple of tuff games in the NCAA but remember we have Breanna and she is the most dominate player in WCBB. I don't think we continue to win by 2o pts a game against top ranked teams but I do think we win most of those games by double digits. You forget we have the best defense in WCBB and no team has been able to compete with us this season with or without KML and Tuck. What makes you think they can now? I expect Bria Mojeff and Saniya to step it up big time opening up the middle for Stef. Remember we've got Geno and he has been through this before. Whether KML comes back or not we will win Number 9.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
On the train ride home tonight I was trying to remember a college player who was diagnosed with mono during the season. The one player who came to mind was former Duke player Mike Dunleavy. He was diagnosed with mono during the 3rd week of February of his freshman season. He ended up missing 4 games (last 4 of Duke's regular season) and returned for the ACC and NCAA tournament. I recall he played pretty well during the ACC tournament, particularly shooting 3-pointers.

Not every case of mono is the same. I was diagnosed with it during my freshman year of law school after having the worst sore throat imaginable. I felt awful but recovered pretty quickly after missing 1 week of class. I think I willed myself better so I wouldn't have to leave school and redo the semester. Of course, there's a big difference between recovering enough to attend class and playing elite level college basketball. It will take time for KML to recover her stamina.

An enlarged spleen is not present in every person with mono (it's present in about 50%).

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My take?

I invite you to the quote below, my signature for about a decade.

A defiant warning to Jeff and Muffet. A challenge to our current UConn team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why does Heather Buck redshirting keep getting brought up in this thread as if she was forced to redshirt? Heather did not medical redshirt and wouldn't have qualified for one. Mono and the few weeks she was forced to miss at the beginning of the season forced the coaches and Heather to consider whether a redshirt season made sense, but mono did not force her to miss the season.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That was how it was interpreted at the time, Scotter, and folks have long memories. It may be the incorrect interpretation but it is what was said 5 years ago.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I find myself rejoicing that we have a pretty weak end of the season schedule. I had mono my senior year in high school, and was out for three months. So as people point out, it's highly variable. Just depends. That's why we have to be patient. Not only don't we know; even the doctors don't know. And the team will get protective shots, as my whole family did when I had it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think like with lots of medical issues the handling of mono has changed over the years - when I was growing up a long time ago, someone with mono was basically put on bed rest for two months or longer as much because of the possibility of them being infectious to others as for their health. A lot of people have only minimal symptoms, and a bunch of others only have acute symptoms for a very short period of time. Some people it lays out for a long time, but that is not very typical.
Heather was diagnosed during training before her freshman year and had missed all of the preseason and the November games. Having not played in any games there was a decision to be made at the end of Nov or maybe early Dec. - she could easily have returned to the team, but if she played in a single game she would not have been eligible for a medical redshirt. She had missed a lot of training and being a freshman didn't have team experience to fall back on so she would have been way behind the rest of the team. She, her parents and the coaches decided to take a 'redshirt' year rather than lose a year of eligibility when she would have been so far behind. She did however practice with the team for most of the rest of the year and Geno as I recalled praised her for pushing Tina hard in practice - so much praise that most of us were expecting more from her the next year than she ultimately was able to deliver.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I didn't see it posted here, but EDD missed part of her senior year at Ursuline Academy due to mono.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom