OT: - Kitchen Renovation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Kitchen Renovation

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Why are you torturing yourself? Kitchen sinks take a beating. Just get an upscale stainless sink and be done with it.
Agree with everything but stainless. They look like crap most of the time I would go with porcelain

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Old sink. Faucet was bad and I hated the sink configuration.
IMG_0276.JPG

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
God knows that I hate these threads and I simply could not have less regard for any of your opinions, but has anyone installed a quartz composite sink? We just threw the kitchen away because my mom's dog once peed in it and I'm considering putting a new kitchen in the hole where the old one was.

I will accept answers that include recommendations to change careers, selling the house and buying one that already has a new sink, going without a sink and relying on a local stream for fresh water, etc.

I will even accept an answer from someone who has actual experience with a quartz sink.

I didn't put OT before the title because I knew it would trigger 87% of Boneyarders.
Not quite quartz composite, but we went with a granite composite. Unfortunately, they don't make the model we got which is 35" double bowl and is just massive. Now it looks like the double bowl only goes up to 32" which is still quite large.

It's pretty bullet proof, low maintenance and you can get them in colors to match other things. They don't scratch at all and still look great 5 years later.

Anyhow, you can check them here: BLANCO SILGRANIT® Sinks | Scratch, Stain & Heat-Resistant | Blanco

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've been happy with the stainless steel. I had a lot fewer options with it being a retrofit.

View attachment 42483

Looks like there's barely enough room to seal the topside edge from the cabinets. But I know you more than know what you're doing.

Did you swap the front stone piece into the back? And then buy another for the back splash? Just curious.

Reaction Score
Good job cutting the hole for the faucet. That can be difficult on a thin piece.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Looks like there's barely enough room to seal the topside edge from the cabinets. But I know you more than know what you're doing.

Did you swap the front stone piece into the back? And then buy another for the back splash? Just curious.

There wasn’t as much lap as I would have liked. Ideally the stone would overhang the rim. But its never leaked.

I acquired additional pieces that were leftover from another job.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There was some. But I think I was able to do that with sandpaper by hand.

Soapstone works fairly easily.

I’m debating having ours sanded, but it’s just going to rapidly patina again. Think it’s worth it?

I like our fireclay sink, but it is so heavy the guys who put it in were not happy.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I’m debating having ours sanded, but it’s just going to rapidly patina again. Think it’s worth it?

I like our fireclay sink, but it is so heavy the guys who put it in were not happy.

I prefer an oil finish on soapstone in the kitchen. Especially if you cook with oils or grease (almost everyone.) If you get a scratch or dent, sand out the spot and oil it to get it back to the patina look.

And don't sweat the minor dings. They don't effect the functionality.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I prefer an oil finish on soapstone in the kitchen. Especially if you cook with oils or grease (almost everyone.) If you get a scratch or dent, sand out the spot and oil it to get it back to the patina look.

And don't sweat the minor dings. They don't effect the functionality.

A scratch? About 70% of the surface area is scratches. It functions fine. Yours looks so different than mine. Mine is so soft I can scratch it with a fingernail.

Reaction Score
Update - never renovate a kitchen.

Buy a new house.
A friend of mine had a custom home built. They sat down and selected everything before it was built. His wife decided 3 months after they moved in that she didn't like the countertop "they" picked out. They ended up buying another counter top.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom