OT: - Kitchen Renovation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Kitchen Renovation

Reaction Score
I just finished a kitchen reno.

Sinks are easy.

Cut the hole in the counter.

Mount the sink.

Attach drain(s) and water.

Follow those 3 simple steps. You can't go wrong.
This guy stayed in a Holiday inn express last night

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
God knows that I hate these threads and I simply could not have less regard for any of your opinions, but has anyone installed a quartz composite sink? We just threw the kitchen away because my mom's dog once peed in it and I'm considering putting a new kitchen in the hole where the old one was.

I will accept answers that include recommendations to change careers, selling the house and buying one that already has a new sink, going without a sink and relying on a local stream for fresh water, etc.

I will even accept an answer from someone who has actual experience with a quartz sink.

I didn't put OT before the title because I knew it would trigger 87% of Boneyarders.

Probably closing in on fifty kitchen remodels.

Sink material is relatively immaterial. That's mostly asthetics. Things like how well the bottom drains, or the configuration (double bowl, 3/4 bowl, single bowl) are usually more important functionally.

If you aren't changing your counters (most people who ask about changing a sink are keeping their counters, otherwise they would ask about counters) then your biggest consideration is whether the sink will work in the existing configuration or not. If the old sink was undermount, then you will need a sink that has a nearly identical shape. If it's a drop in sink you might have a little more tolerance or could go a little bigger and field cut the counters to accommodate as long as the cabinet doesn't prohibit.

I usually suggest aluminum for drop ins because the lip is pretty fat on composite sinks. (Quartzite is a composite that includes a high percentage of quartz aggregate.) But a lot of it comes down to trade offs.

All of that said, I have done some very high end, very involved retrofits of interesting sinks. Those jobs were relatively expensive for my clients and came with a substantial risk to me. One wrong precision cut and all the counter tops would have to be relpaced.

Reaction Score
We installed this sink a few years ago. Sink

Since the counters were also new...i didn't technically install it. But as someone who has personally renovated 4+ kitchens, I was there when installed and can give you my opinion (since you asked). It's no different than any other sink. If it's an undermount as ours was, you just need to properly wedge the bracing in place to support it until the adhesive dries, as it is much heavier than a stainless sink.

If it's an above counter sink, I can't see any difference.

Another piece of advice, don't let things that will stain linger....red wine, grape juice, etc, otherwise you will need some elbow grease to clean it
The stain business would be a no-go for me. Unless dog pee works on it.

Reaction Score
You guys are nutso....take fandom just too far, IMHO...Husky pee in the sink?

I guess every fan base has their own rituals.

Reaction Score
I think you should renovate your bathroom instead.
Always helpful for brain dead installers to idiotically over tighten massive bolts drilled in 2x4s intended to support undermount sinks before and after applying silicone sealant around the sink edges. Most excellent way for a home/property owner or contractor to buy new countertops and sinks, delay completion by a few weeks, and set off a spouse, business partner, etc. Highly recommended for both kitchens and bathrooms!

Reaction Score
the cannabis cup is going on in Sac this weekend, times are changing fast.

Reaction Score
God knows that I hate these threads and I simply could not have less regard for any of your opinions, but has anyone installed a quartz composite sink? We just threw the kitchen away because my mom's dog once peed in it and I'm considering putting a new kitchen in the hole where the old one was.

I will accept answers that include recommendations to change careers, selling the house and buying one that already has a new sink, going without a sink and relying on a local stream for fresh water, etc.

I will even accept an answer from someone who has actual experience with a quartz sink.

I didn't put OT before the title because I knew it would trigger 87% of Boneyarders.

quartz sink seems kind of fragile. I used a swanstone sink, looks like a piece of stone, the thing is bullitproof.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Had what I thought would be simple task this morning.

Replace bathtub drain since the old one had broken off. Simple twist and pull or push to open or close. No lever.

I did accomplish this with one trip to the hardware store which is major bonus point. Even bought a bathtub drain removal tool to add to my tool collection. Double bonus.

Got it done in about 90 minutes.

But...........................The drain removal tool was worthless since the old one had broken off two of the four braces on the bottom of the old drain. Tool was designed to fit in its grooves in the braces and you just twist. Three problems. Some really old plumber's putty, a very short tool not giving much twisting leverage, and finally the braces were of a softer metal than the tool and broke off.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, out came a mallet, plumber's wrench, crescent wrench, dremel tool, shop vac and a few assorted screw drivers. Wife had been out of the house and walked in to bathroom with me standing in the tub with a dremel tool in one hand and shop vac in the other. Yes, she was worried.

I had to cut a groove in to the existing hardware attached to the tub drain and slowly chip away with mallet and screwdriver at the old one. Some wiping down and a bit of prep work and new drain installed.

Only bit of work left is to find some touch up paint for the porcelain tub from where the dremel jumped the cut line and scored a bit of the tub by the drain.

Reaction Score

Replace bathtub drain since the old one had broken off. Simple twist and pull or push to open or close. No lever.

I did accomplish this with one trip to the hardware store which is major bonus point. Even bought a bathtub drain removal tool to add to my tool collection. Double bonus.

But.......The drain removal tool was worthless since the old one had broken off two of the four braces on the bottom of the old drain. Tool was designed to fit in its grooves in the braces and you just twist. Three problems. Some really old plumber's putty, a very short tool not giving much twisting leverage, and finally the braces were of a softer metal than the tool and broke off.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, out came a mallet, plumber's wrench, crescent wrench, dremel tool, shop vac and a few assorted screw drivers. Wife had been out of the house and walked in to bathroom with me standing in the tub with a dremel tool in one hand and shop vac in the other. Yes, she was worried.

I had to cut a groove in to the existing hardware attached to the tub drain and slowly chip away with mallet and screwdriver at the old one. Some wiping down and a bit of prep work and new drain installed.

Only bit of work left is to find some touch up paint for the porcelain tub from where the dremel jumped the cut line and scored a bit of the tub by the drain.

next time I recommend a rubber stopper. LOL

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
next time I recommend a rubber stopper. LOL

Regardless of what I replaced it with getting the housing or outside part of old stopper was the PITA.

Reaction Score
My wife wants a soapstone sink, and soapstone counters, but I think they are too dark. Our kitchen designer has soapstone in her kitchen and says she wouldn't do it again, too much maintenance with oiling every so often, also sink itself is bit fragile. So, my wife is looking at other stuff. We looked at slate counters, meh, latest is stone from Ashfield Mass (near Shelburne Falls) which is schist (solidified ancient mud?). Some of it is soapstone like (predominantly gray tone), but some is gorgeous, especially the Starry Night stuff (swirling colors like Van Gogh painting) or Crowsfoot (looks like bird walked all over it). Search for Ashfield Stone and you'll see what some of it looks like. We went to showroom, the real-life blocks are so much more vivid and colorful than the pictures. Too bad my wife is more conservative in taste than me, I'd get that wild stone in a heartbeat (although it is expensive). Or, if we do go on more conservative side, I'm going to get a sample to make a small table.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score

But.......The drain removal tool was worthless since the old one had broken off two of the four braces on the bottom of the old drain. Tool was designed to fit in its grooves in the braces and you just twist. Three problems. Some really old plumber's putty, a very short tool not giving much twisting leverage, and finally the braces were of a softer metal than the tool and broke off.

Glad you found a way through it. If you (or anyone else) end up in this predicament try making your own custom spud wrench out of a piece of wood. Inch a nd a half by inch and a half by one to two feet makes a good blank. Shape one end to fit snugly in drain. If all that remains of the tangs are stubs you can drive the piece if wood so the tang stubs slot into it. Then twist the piece of wood like it is a screwdriver. If you need more leverage drill a hole through the upper end and put a long screwdriver through it.

I have bailed myself out doing variations of this many times.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Glad you found a way through it. If you (or anyone else) end up in this predicament try making your own custom spud wrench out of a piece of wood. Inch a nd a half by inch and a half by one to two feet makes a good blank. Shape one end to fit snugly in drain. If all that remains of the tangs are stubs you can drive the piece if wood so the tang stubs slot into it. Then twist the piece of wood like it is a screwdriver. If you need more leverage drill a hole through the upper end and put a long screwdriver through it.

I have bailed myself out doing variations of this many times.

Thanks.

I now know what a "tang" is WRT plumbing fixtures.

I hope to never need your advice.

However, if someone I know ever needs it, I'll pass it on like it's my own knowledge.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
My wife wants a soapstone sink, and soapstone counters, but I think they are too dark. Our kitchen designer has soapstone in her kitchen and says she wouldn't do it again, too much maintenance with oiling every so often, also sink itself is bit fragile.

We have soapstone in our bathroom and it’s a major PITA. Unless you like the idea of massaging a hunk of rock with mineral oil every two weeks, find some other material to work with.

People who want to sell you soapstone will tell you you only have to oil for the first few years but they LIE.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The only real advice I will give on kitchen renovation is don't pull permits like we did. Jacked our assessment way higher than anyone in our neighborhood. When I appealed and reviewed all of their field cards I realized that we were the only idiots, and honesty definitely did not pay.
Did you need to move plumbing or add outlets. Did you widen a door and need a header? What required a building permit?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
43 posts to Fishy's OP and I think maybe 4 answer his question.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
We have soapstone in our bathroom and it’s a major PITA. Unless you like the idea of massaging a hunk of rock with mineral oil every two weeks, find some other material to work with.

People who want to sell you soapstone will tell you you only have to oil for the first few years but they LIE.

I have soapstone countertops in my kitchen and love them. The mineral oil has made a patina so now I oil once a year mostly just to have that fresh, wet look.

Bathrooms are another story. Soap cuts right through the mineral oil and makes it a chore to have a consistent finish. I generally advise my clients to go with a different stone or leave the surface unoiled. Soapstone does not need any type of sealer, ever. It is one of the least porous materials you can find.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Did you need to move plumbing or add outlets. Did you widen a door and need a header? What required a building permit?

Every single kitchen remodel I have done has included wiring upgrades. 2/3rds move or add plumbing. 2/3rds have required structural changes.

One of the most common structural upgrades (other than relocating windows/doors and removing walls) is improving floor framing systems to handle the load of islands, especially ones with stone countertops.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My wife wants a soapstone sink, and soapstone counters, but I think they are too dark. Our kitchen designer has soapstone in her kitchen and says she wouldn't do it again, too much maintenance with oiling every so often, also sink itself is bit fragile. So, my wife is looking at other stuff. We looked at slate counters, meh, latest is stone from Ashfield Mass (near Shelburne Falls) which is schist (solidified ancient mud?). Some of it is soapstone like (predominantly gray tone), but some is gorgeous, especially the Starry Night stuff (swirling colors like Van Gogh painting) or Crowsfoot (looks like bird walked all over it). Search for Ashfield Stone and you'll see what some of it looks like. We went to showroom, the real-life blocks are so much more vivid and colorful than the pictures. Too bad my wife is more conservative in taste than me, I'd get that wild stone in a heartbeat (although it is expensive). Or, if we do go on more conservative side, I'm going to get a sample to make a small table.

Beware. We went with soapstone. Got the white farmers kitchen sink though. It’s gorgeous. Beautiful stone, and ours is so soft if you open a beer on it you get a ring from the ridges on the bottom.

Soapstone varies in hardness and we failed to ask about the hardness of the piece we chose. I think it’s fine if you get the hardness level that won’t scratch so easily. But it’s not hard enough for a sink in my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom